Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first I have to say this is only my opinion ... but to me it seems the interest is just not there anymore. Everyone seems to like the boards including myself .. but the site is sufforing pretty badly. I know some people from other sites and around the scene and they all want to know what is going on with PSXEmu ... and I keep telling them we are working on NGEmu. Maybe that is a part of it ... maybe the interest has just turned to NGEmu. What do you guys think about this? Do you think the site has taken a turn for the worse? What are your solutions to make it better? Well My interest also has changed and I am working hard on ePSXe Fanatics .. and will be helping out EmuHelp whenever I get a chance. I just feel as though PSXEmu is taking a backseat to everything else ... maybe they need to get there NGEmu people involved.

Also how will this effect the PSX scene once PSXEmu is gone? Do you guys enjoy having a site dedicated to one console? or covering multiple ones?

Well the best of luck to NGEmu and Crew! Hopefully things will pick up here in the near future.

I am posting this from a fan of the PSX Emulation scene's point of view ... not as a member of PSXEmu. I am just as concerned as the rest.

-Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
i think its too early for those words.
but i think that the crowd that psxemu gained might turn to the new ngemu when.. its time or at least most of it.
see you around buddy.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't take my post the wrong way .. I am not saying it it is dying. I am asking your guys opinion .. Do you think it is going down hill and getting worse everyday. I don't mean news post either .. the site is poorly out of date .. most of the stuff has changed or updated around the PSX scene, yet PSXEmu hasn't changed to reflect these changes. Old links .. old plugins .. old out of date information. A site is more then just post. I am just concerned that is all. I personally like the PSX scene a lot ... so when of it's best resource is suffering it makes the whole scene suffer. I am just a worried fan of emulation that has little control over this problem. Also I am not going anywhere .. hope I didn't give that impression :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hrmm, this'll be an interesting thread. As I have the feeling others also agree with Wormie, I think I should at least give you my point of view. Not a bad idea to write down what I've been thinking about PSXEmu for a while now, anyway.

There are several things that could explain the so-called "suffering". True, one of them is that NGEmu takes time, but that's just the "upper layer". Your questions obviously refer to the other layers, so let me list some of the things I'd define as reasons.

First of all, I have to remind you that PSXEmu's team members situation has always been kinda.... odd. There's Bobbi, who started the whole site and is most likely still the one who's motivated the most. There's Wormie, who makes a great addition to the team, but as time went on his interests changed and he's now more motivated for working on his personal projects (which is fully understandable). There's CD, who really did do a lot of work for the site (newsposts mostly), while it lasted; I guess most of you know the story :/ There's Bgnome, RVWinkle and Ryos, all of them made excellent newsposters, but unfortunately personal stuff prevents them from having some spare time these days :/ And then there's me (hum, feel kinda strange talking 'bout myself :p) ; I joined PSXEmu back in the days bleem r0cked, and I was glad to help people (including Bobbi with the site) out. My interests have also changed, however. I never got a PSX, only have a few games, and there must be hundreds of people out there on the boards who are more interested in PSX emulation than I am. Then wtf am I doing here. Good question. The main thing that keeps me staying is the fact that I like building up a site/project, more than running it. PSXEmu has been up and running for quite some time now, so I lost interest. The idea of NGEmu came, and it kinda gives me the old feeling again. I honestly don't know what I'll do when NGEmu's ready.
When you look at it that way, PSXEmu's team isn't as big as some of you might think (board moderators excluded here, the boards are a different subject).

Second, it's summer time! Don't underestimate this one, guys. These days, Bobbi, Wormie and me are the only ones to keep up the site. That's not a lot, and just as in earlier years, PSXEmu is rather quiet in the summer time; the current team just isn't big enough to continue like we can in - for example - the winter, let alone with NGEmu on the horizon. We try to stay away from the
'nerd'-effect you know :) That, and the coders in the PSX scene aren't as active as usual either, which makes for fewer newsposts.

Okay, so what's next.. ah yes, NGEmu. It has been mentioned several times now, and it seems to be the most obvious reason to explain the "suffering-effect". Even though I hope the above proves that NGEmu isn't the only reason, I think this "obvious" reason might need some explanation as well. As mentioned earlier, my interest has - as Wormie guessed - turned to NGEmu for now, and I think I know Bobbi well enough to say that he's 'switching interest' _partly_ as well. We try to make NGEmu the same way as PSXEmu, content-wise. That means 5 times the content, and that, err... well, it takes time.

I think it's time to answer your questions as best as I can, so it's time for some quotes...

"but to me it seems the interest is just not there anymore." - I guess I explained that now...

"Everyone seems to like the boards including myself .. but the site is sufforing pretty badly." - the boards are growing each day, keeping the community-feeling alive. It doesn't keep the site alive, but I'm glad it kinda cures the 'wounds' a bit.

"I know some people from other sites and around the scene and they all want to know what is going on with PSXEmu" - hrmm, makes me curious of who they are :)

"and I keep telling them we are working on NGEmu." - as explained, that's only part of it.

"Maybe that is a part of it ... maybe the interest has just turned to NGEmu." - well, you're close :)

"What do you guys think about this? Do you think the site has taken a turn for the worse? What are your solutions to make it better?" - heh, this made me think of the bleem! situation... yes, we're kinda low on work on PSXEmu (=bleem! PC), but we're working on something far cooler (=bleem! DC) which should really be worth the wait. Luckily there are several differences between our situation and bleem! inc.'s :) First of all, NGEmu will still cover the PSX, so all of PSXEmu's content (+ other new PSX stuff) will still be there, all fully updated ofcourse; meaning we won't ditch the PSX emulation fans out there (=bleem! PC users :)). Second, it shouldn't take as long as bleem! DC did =P In other words, I don't quite feel we've taken a turn for the _worse_, and the solution would be to launch NGEmu as soon as possible. BUT feel free to voice your opinion everyone! It could very well make a difference :)

"Also how will this effect the PSX scene once PSXEmu is gone?" - although PSXEmu in its current shape will be gone, it will simply have a different shape. Again, we don't mean to ditch the PSX emulation fans. Also, when NGEmu's ready, psxemu.com will most likely redirect to NGEmu's PSX section. Cause if you don't care about any of the other systems NGEmu covers, simply bookmark the PSX section instead of the mainpage; you'll still find everything you want within seconds (including PSX news, which'll be on the mainpage of the PSX section). Hope that takes some worries away.

"Do you guys enjoy having a site dedicated to one console? or covering multiple ones?" - if you're worried that we'll lose focus and exclusive stuff etc. when we'll cover 5 times as much, I don't think there's much to worry about. Because we'll also have a lot of new members, all of which have some specific interests, meaning you'll most likely find the ones behind PSXEmu mostly cover PSX stuff, the DC guys doing DC stuff, etc. etc. Everyone focusing on not-too-many-consoles should prevent giving NGEmu the "yet another news site"-effect. Ofcourse, that's only the theory behind it, but I promise we'll try to realize that as much as possible :)

"Well the best of luck to NGEmu and Crew!" - Thanks :)

"I am posting this from a fan of the PSX Emulation scene's point of view ... not as a member of PSXEmu. I am just as concerned as the rest." - I understand, and I'm actually glad you brought it up.

Well, that's all for now.. I'm sure I made some grammar errors, but it's a long one and it's 3:20AM right now so I don't really care =P Feel free to reply to this thread people! As said earlier, it really could make a difference.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I, for one, have been keeping very busy w/the boards. I have noticed the lack of updates on the main page and, while it worried me at first, I realized that all the updaters have other things to do, besides PSXEmu. I am excited about NGEmu and Bobbi has assured me that I will have a place on those boards as well. I'm looking forward to that and to seeing many other fine Emulators covered as well. I, myself, have quite a few emulators (other than ePSXe) that I use all the time and enjoy very much. But ePSXE still remains my most favorite emulator and I do want to keep up w/it at all costs (new releases, plugins, etc,). I don't think of PSXEmu dying, no, rather I think of it evolving like a caterpillar turning into a gorgeous butterfly. I know that I must be patient as these "growing pains" take time. In the mean time, there are other sites (VG-Network for example) that do carry new plugins, etc. once they come out. So if PSXEmu doesn't have it yet, you can always go to one of these other sites and find what you're looking for. In closing I would like to say, that I will miss PSXEmu very much, it's like losing an old friend, but I will also be looking forward to NGEmu and all that it will have to offer. Long live PSXEmu/NGEmu and long live emulation.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I can see some of your points there but it still doesn't explain why the site is so out of date ... I don't mean by a couple weeks either. I am talking a couple months. I can never remember a time when it was this bad. It is hard to tell people to head over to PSXEmu to get the latest files, when the files there are around 2 -3 versions old. I hate to tell people to go to another site and revert having another fan of the site. What I am kinda getting at is why let the one site that actually is running go to crap, and put all the effort into a site that is not even open yet? I can understand not being motivated, but what about the fans? Bobbi always gives the lazy man's approach saying he doesn't want to update two things ... the same info on PSXEmu and turn around and update NGEmu (I am not putting down Bobbi or calling him Lazy ... it is just a form of speech). I hear this a lot as an excuse and it goes back to my previous question "Why let the one site that is running go to crap, while putting all the effort into the site that is not even open?". I could understand if the site is opening in a couple weeks, but I know it is not. So let's say we wait until the new site opens, maybe it is 3 months from now. In that period of time are you guys going to take the same approuch? I don't think you can solely rely on posting to keep people up to date on the info. The rest of the site is way out of date and needs some maintainence very badly. This was brought up one time, but nobody either seemed to care or didn't feel like it. I know I could but it is so out of date that i just don't have the time, or motivation when I know in all likely hood it will not get updated again from that point on.

I am not trying to bring PSXEmu down in anyway or it's members. I have a ton of respect for Thorgal, Bobbi and crew .... it is just sad to see a once great site slide down so low. I honestly believe these boards keep the site afloat. Maybe I am wrong, but I know I would rather go to the board to find out the latest info then the site itself. Thanks for listening hopefully I don't come off the wrong way.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's amusing that the 'management' is so carefree about the lack of updates now..

Why?

Well, it wasn't always this way.. 'No news today? Or everyone just lazy.' Ring a bell? I'm sure for those closely involved it does. Maybe it even opens up some old wounds. Who knows nowdays..

Anyhoo, it's just a little observation, and while I could say more, I'm sure those who care can infer what I'm getting at..

[edit] Mavis Beacon(sp?) needs to teach me how to type.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Okay I have got one question.Okay NGemu is going to be a new and great project,but what this new project will have in different then psxemu.

Ali

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well I'm also glad you brought this up Wormie. Lately I've been feeling the same way. At first I thought this is just a brief downtime in site maintenance while the PSXEmu team gets NGEmu ready and running, but its been a while now since I first noticed a lack of updates and it does kill(hopefully temporarily) some of my interest in emus. I had been an unsatisfied bleem owner for about a year before finding PSXEmu, so I wasn't really expecting much from the Playstation emulation scene, but PSXEmu quickly got me hooked. I didn't really frequent news sites much before PSXEmu, but I guess I found the news there to be uhhh...newbie friendly. It made getting into the current PSX emulation scene attractive for a newcomer like myself. What I'm getting at is, I think that if I had first found PSXEmu in the state its in now(taking its last breath before dying from an outside appearance) I would not have gotten interested in Playstation emulation and therefore would not be typing a post on the PSXEmu forum now.
Nowadays I get most of my related news from right here on the board. Also I find myself sending newbies to sites such as Aldostools to find the lastest plugins and other files.
One thing I'm happy about though, is Thorgal saying that NGemu will be broken up into specific areas so the Playstation area won't be that different from PSXEmu(back in the days when it was up to date). This had worried me because I do like having a site that focuses on one console's emulation. I was afraid that PSXEmu would just get thrown into the mix and be lost in a sea of other emu news and updates.
I think sx/amiga made a good analogy with the metamorphosis of a caterpillar into a butterfly, but I wish that PSXEmu would break out of its cocoon and live while its still umm...alive.

Sorry if my thought processes seem kinda eradic. I just woke up:emb:

·
Registered
324 Posts
You asked for it, you got it. Today I've been touching up several pages on PSXEmu: some "bugs" are ironed out, updated the whole "misc. tools" section, the plugins page has been updated, no more stupid screw-ups at the top of every page, etc. It may not seem much, but I can assure you it takes more time than you'd think.
Tomorrow will probably be "part two" of the PSXEmu-site-update-session, ie. updated emulator pages, as that's the only section I didn't update yet.

The mainpage's news is a different topic, ofcourse; there's some news right now that needs be posted as well, but I feel like taking a brake first (sue me :p), so that'll come in a couple of hours..

.. this is all I could possibly do to keep PSXEmu alive a little longer, suggestions are always welcome.

*Update* : DarkMan's plugins and all the FPSE-only plugins have been added to our plugin pages now as well.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I used to goto psxemu all the time but after I started posting in the message boards I stopped. Besides, the updates weren't too frequent when I stopped going there so that was another reason just to stop.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Two things:

- liaqatali: could you rephrase your question? I'm not sure I understand...

- the fact that the boards are growing faster than PSXEmu itself shouldn't make it a completely different thing. Imho, the boards are simply a feature of PSXEmu which is constantly growing thanks to fans of psx emulation and perhaps of the site as well. PSXEmu started earlier than those boards, which is one of the reasons you'll find the site 'dying' while the boards are getting more crowded every day. Once we think PSXEmu covers everything we'd like to see covered, the only thing we can still do is posting news and keep the pages up-to-date whenever needed. Now I know that hasn't been our strongest point, which is why I decided to fix/update all pages wherever necessary, making the site "stand still" rather than "dying". But that's all I can do for now. Yes, the boards are still growing, but PSXEmu can barely grow any further, keep that in mind. And before everyone comes up with 101 suggestions for the site: the site's always been a hobby, nothing more.. if we think it's 'done' and feel like doing something else (=NGEmu), then that's what we'll do. The only reason to keep PSXEmu up-to-date, always being quick with news etc. would be, at least for me, if our visitors (meaning YOU) really misses all of it. That's why I said "Feel free to reply to this thread people!", as your opinion could make a huge difference.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I do miss the frequent updates to the news. I really would rather go to just one site to get caught up than to a whole bunch of different ones. Thanks for the updates Thorgal, it is appreicated. I am also awaiting the other news you mentioned. I think that if people like you, are still willing to put some time in, the PSXEmu can survive just fine until NGEmu comes along. So I, for one, would like to see those updates keep coming. You asked for opinions, well there is mine.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Thorgal my question is pretty simple,Okay NGemu is a new project.I mean a new emulation site is coming up,but would there be frequent updates on that site or no.If would be the same as psxemu then I think it is useless........!

Ali

B

·
0 Posts
Phew, I got the feeling this will be a rather long reply ... first off, let me tell you that I'm currently at the spanish beach, with a spanish keyboard hooked to my laptop, so it's a bit difficult to type as several keys are placed different than on my german one. So let's get started.

First off to the question, why we let PSXEmu down when the other site isn't done yet ... well, I guess this question has kinda been answered already, it's the lack of time. Look, it's summer, I got my driving license and holidays, I had to earn money for my spain/italy/france trip and had several depts I had to pay ... and hey, I still got a girlfriend which needs to be taken care off.

I think what's easily visible that, around april when this all started, I had to make a decission ... either I leave NGEmu alone for quite some more time (starting work at the end of the year ?) and still update PSXEmu, or I finally spend more of my time into NGEmu and let PSXEmu really down a lot. I think after following PSXEmu for the past weeks, it was easily visible which way I took.

Now why ? Well, though PSXEmu has been my first real homepage project and I always had lots of motivation to update, post news etc., this slowed down quite a bit during the past months, and there've been times where I thought about just leaving it fully alone and programming our new project in the meantime. But after two weeks, I noticed that I enjoyed updating a bit more again, so I continued ... but soon, it slowed down again and so on ...

What could be done against it ? Like already suggested, we could get the members we have chosen for NGEmu to update PSXEmu ... but I learned several things in those two years, one being that it's a bad idea to ask too much from people working together with you, so I dropped that idea as well.

Now let's take a look at the questions left in this thread, most of them have already been greatly answered by Thorgal and reflect my opinion as well.

One thing I'm happy about though, is Thorgal saying that NGemu will be broken up into specific areas so the Playstation area won't be that different from PSXEmu(back in the days when it was up to date). This had worried me because I do like having a site that focuses on one console's emulation. I was afraid that PSXEmu would just get thrown into the mix and be lost in a sea of other emu news and updates.
Well, we knew about that problem as well and thought a lot about it - why make another site about topics, which are already covered nicely by other sites.
First off, let me assure you that 1/5 of NGEmu (the PSX section) will even be bigger than the current PSXEmu and will be updated frequent again as work on NGEmu has been finished - that means when people are just interrested in PSX news, they'll still be able to get those (the only thing that changes is the design, even the adress stays the same :) ). Now what to do against the problem of other sites already covering those topics - after several weeks of thinking, the easy answer came into my mind (oh yeah, that's already +1 year in the past) - we need to have things others don't have at all or properly done so people are interrested. We need to make emulation easier for those people who don't really know a lot about it - the same thing I personally always had in mind when creating and updating PSXEmu and the same thing I still think for NGEmu.

Thorgal my question is pretty simple,Okay NGemu is a new project.I mean a new emulation site is coming up,but would there be frequent updates on that site or no.If would be the same as psxemu then I think it is useless........!
NGEmu will have frequent updates on PSX news as well as the same great content PSXEmu had. But that's only a small part of NGEmu, it'll also cover N64, Dreamcast, Saturn and Gameboy Advanced emulation, and that (hopefully) in a manner you haven't seen it elsewhere yet - but that's something the future will have to show us.

'No news today? Or everyone just lazy.'
For everyone who wonders about that one now, it's something I said in our chat room some time ago when there've been rarely page updates by the crew but enough news to post ... well, it was a mistake, that's not difficult to see, but I also think it becomes old to jump around on that one so let's head to the next thing.

Okay, okay, you read that boring stuff long enough, time to get to an end :) These boards are a great piece of PSXEmu and certainly help to keep the site alive, and we'd like to thank everyone helping on these boards for it ! NGEmu itself will include the boards and it's data much more into the site and all visitors will know about the great members helping here - how ? Stay tuned and you'll see.

Oh yeah, one last thing ... I read somewhere in this thread that we're not talking about weeks but months - I think to understand this, you need to know what happened with NGEmu from January until June ... simple as that : About nothing. I fully stopped with programming and all that stuff and just concentrated on school and collecting ideas for it. Could explain the delay. But now, as for the progress, the whole PSX section as already fully finished on my laptop here and will go online when I got home and the chance to convert it. The other 4 sections - can't tell, as I have no possiblity to contact the other members, but I'll update you on that as soon as I find the time back home.

Well, enjoy your summer and thanks for all your input,

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well first I want to thank Thorgal who actually got what I was trying to say. Yesterday Thorgal spent his whole entire free day updating PSXEmu and said that he will try his best to keep it that way. I think this is a great response to the needs of the fans, and I truely believe he understood when I said "Why crap on the one site that is actualy running, and put all your time into a site that is not even open?". On that same note , Bobbi never touched on that, and didn't explain why it happened. This is the main reason why people are bringing this kind of stuff up. They just can't understand why you would let the one site down that makes the other site possible. One person already asked if it was going to be the same, lack of updates, post being posted 3 - 4 days apart. I understand it is going to be different but at the same time NGEmu is going to be starting with an unexperienced team (I mean unexperienced working together on this project) So I believe it would be in PSXEmu's best interest to go into launching that site on a good note, with a strong PSXEmu site. Image if the site continued on it's slide and more and more people went else where for the news, downloads, and information. What percent of those users would return for this other poject from the same people that let them down the first time. You could easily eliminate the problem by having a strong updated PSXEmu site going into the next project, it is the only logical solution I see. Anyways time to go to work.

On a side note ... is it just me or did Bobbi sound like he does everything on his own... what about all of Thorgal's hard work. Well maybe am wrong, if so oh well :D.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts