Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! N00b question:

Is there a PSX emulator or plugin that will let me toggle the graphics layers on/off? For example; when running ZSNES, you can hit numbers 1-5 on the keyboard to shut off/turn on graphics layers. Is there a way to do this on PSX?

If it's relevant, I'm running ePSXe 1.5.2 with the gpuEZHsoft_nc.dll graphics plugin.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
not to my knowledge there isnt, but i am not familiar with that plugin.

you can try pete's hardware plugins, you can toggle framebuffer access and offscreen drawing in game

·
Registered
139 Posts
any1 know if it's even possible? FF7 AFAIK is actual 3d. Don't know if that 3d is done in "layers". SNES was touted for its up to 4 layers (foreground, action, background, fog, etc.) which was exactly what ZNES does (sweet stuff)

·
Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
nanoglitch said:
Greetings! N00b question:

Is there a PSX emulator or plugin that will let me toggle the graphics layers on/off? For example; when running ZSNES, you can hit numbers 1-5 on the keyboard to shut off/turn on graphics layers. Is there a way to do this on PSX?

If it's relevant, I'm running ePSXe 1.5.2 with the gpuEZHsoft_nc.dll graphics plugin.
To our knowledge...PSX games did not require layers. The SNES used layers to make matters easier when moving a sprite on a background or for it's scaling and rotation. These were tricks were helpful for the SNES CPU, but not necessary for PSX. Think about it...SNES could handle 128 sprites at a time. The PSX?
The PlayStation is virtually unlimited in:

- size (up to 256 x 256)
- number of sprites on a line
- number of sprites images
- number of CLUTs

* Sprite Special Effects

- Rotation
- Scaling up/down
- Warping
- Transparency
- Fading
- Priority (What the?)
- Vertical and horizontal line scroll

Put simply...The PSX has no layers...nor are PSX GPU plugins capable of stripping layered graphics. The authors could perhaps create a way to strip prerendered backgrounds or show sprites without 3D backgrounds?

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Dark Watcher said:
To our knowledge...PSX games did not require layers. The SNES used layers to make matters easier when moving a sprite on a background or for it's scaling and rotation. These were tricks were helpful for the SNES CPU, but not necessary for PSX. Think about it...SNES could handle 128 sprites at a time. The PSX?
The PlayStation is virtually unlimited in:

- size (up to 256 x 256)
- number of sprites on a line
- number of sprites images
- number of CLUTs

* Sprite Special Effects

- Rotation
- Scaling up/down
- Warping
- Transparency
- Fading
- Priority (What the?)
- Vertical and horizontal line scroll

Put simply...The PSX has no layers...nor are PSX GPU plugins capable of stripping layered graphics. The authors could perhaps create a way to strip prerendered backgrounds or show sprites without 3D backgrounds?
Why not ask Pete directly if such a thing would be possible and easy to put into a newer version of his plugins?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.