Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any1 who's experimented or actually uses multiple PSX emus (for maximum compatibility with games I suppose?) provide a list of "useful key" features for each one? I've been using ePSXe all along, but am thinking of switching if the other emus have a better feature set that I'm seeking.

Specifically, I'm looking for in this order of importance
-5 save states..... 10 preferred
-either a fast forward button or delimit fps so I can fast forward anytime during mid-game
-pause emulation..... with screen frozen but still displayed when paused (as opposed to the screen going black/blank)
-screenshot utility to easily take snaps

I know ePSXe has:

ePSXe
5ss, NO fast forward, Yes pause game BUT with black screen, Yes screenshot

PSXeven
PCSX
AdriPSX

Can any1 else fill in the rest of these emus? Compatibility with games is definately most important, so I've choosen the modern generation of PSX emus (as opposed to Bleem which also costs $$ :nono: ) to cover just that. I've heard all the above work great in this respect except for the last one. Heard nothing in regards to that.

In case my PC isn't in my profile, here it is. I'm confident I can run any of those PSX emus with full settings:

P4 3.0GHz
1.5GB PC3200
ATI 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro
winXP Pro +SP2
Dell 18.1 Ultrasharp LCD

*PS, any1 provide links or by name for "PSX controller" converters/hubs? Like an Adaptoid but for PSX controllers? Are PS1 and PS2 controllers even interchangeable between the actual consoles and as far as this hub goes?

thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
You've forgotten sssPSX, which works well with many games and is under active development.

"Fast forward", at least in the sense of de-limiting FPS, is a GPU plugin feature not an emulator feature. Some plugins support that, others don't. There's also an internal frame limiter on ePSXe, but you have to specify that on the command line to get it. I've also noticed that the speedup you get with frame delimiting depends on the game, and the part of the game you're in. Some spots in some games give no speedup while others book.

Pause is also a GPU plugin feature.

Apart from the screenshot feature some emus have, you can get a screenshot in any emulator by hitting the PrtScr key and then pasting into MS Paint.

I don't have a list. But I can tell you that sssPSX has 7 or 8 save-states.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
-5 save states..... 10 preferred
PSXeven has 9.

-either a fast forward button or delimit fps so I can fast forward anytime during mid-game
just unlimit FPS in the GPU plugin.

-pause emulation..... with screen frozen but still displayed when paused (as opposed to the screen going black/blank)
IIRC in ePSXe 1.5.2 you can press right Alt to pause. havent done it in a long time though. you can try it and see if i'm right :p
-screenshot utility to easily take snaps
ePSXe and PSXeven use F8 to take screenshots.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>>just unlimit FPS in the GPU plugin.
I should've been more specific. I meant in mid play. ePSXe doesn't let u do that as u gotta quit the game first to config the GPU plugin.

>>IIRC in ePSXe 1.5.2 you can press right Alt to pause. havent done it in a long time though. you can try it and see if i'm right :p
Doesn't work. alt+enter to toggle full/window mode. Else, don't think alt does anything else.

thanks anywyas.

>>ePSXe and PSXeven use F8 to take screenshots.
FYI to others, u need to create a directory, "snap" in your ePSXe filepath. AFAIK, ePSXe is supposed to do it for you automatically, but i guess not.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
I should've been more specific. I meant in mid play. ePSXe doesn't let u do that as u gotta quit the game first to config the GPU plugin.
i guess i should've been more specific. press the Delete key in game to bring down the list of options. press end or home to toggle the options, in this case, specifically the frame limit/unlimit.

ePSXe does create the snap folder. what did you unzip with..?

·
Registered
654 Posts
ackmondual said:
>>just unlimit FPS in the GPU plugin.
Most of Pete's (and Peops) GPU plugins uncap the framerate while you hold down the "9" key. They also toggle pause if you type the "0" key.

Dan

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
u mean what'd i use to unzip all the ePSXe files? WinZip8. That's probably the reason.

I tried installing games to my PDA (Zodiac 2). The installer for the game was throwing errors. I turned out that winzip (possibly due to the non-registered version i was using) just displayed all the files in the archive as one big mess, so that's what i got when i dragged and dropped the files onto my desktop to unzip. I then used winrar, and it preserved all the folder hierachies which let the installer work this time

This is no surprise. I remember when i first set up ePSXe a year ago. NOTHING worked. It turned out that the folders for save states, ingame saves, plugins, etc. were NOT being created at all. I had to do all that manually. Must be winzip AFAIK.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you just drag and drop files out of WinZip, no folders will be created. To do that, you have to Extract them, and when doing so choose an option that reads something like "preserve folder structure" or "use relative folder info".

Dan

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
I delimit on ePSXe to fastforward all the time (like the others pointed out, try change GPU mode if it doesn't seem to work). As for taking screenshots, I do it the old prntscrn -> paste (Paint/etc) way. Works for me, I take loads of screenies, unless you want a frame-by-frame capture of an animation of some kind.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
oh yeah, thanks dbhankins i'd forgotten about that. for years you had to unlimit/limit FPS in pete's plugins, and a month or two ago he threw in the feature (by popular demand) to limit/unlimit with one button. i still use the old method, im so used to it....

anyway, ackmondual, winzip sucks ass. use winrar, or at least 7zip.

celine: you know you can just press F8, it's a lot easier and you dont have to crop ;) (but it doesnt work with pete's soft gpu..)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm fond of ZipGenius myself. Free, and as good or better than WinZip. Just one caveat: if you turn on its Windows Explorer integration, don't right-click on any Windows .CAB files afterwards, your Windows Explorer will crash.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.