Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of buying a new system (A64 3000, budget PCI-E graphic card, Nforce 4 MB) and I just wanted to know whether it would be necesssary to buy a new atx v2.0 PSU to run it or would I be able to use my own PSU which is rated for 350 watts.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
well, i'd suggest buying a new PSU. you dont have to go full out and get a new ATX v2.0 one, but you should at least get a nice new one to handle that stuff.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i think you might want to get a psu with a higher rated wattage, because the rig will be wanting a lot of power, especially if you plan on getting a 6800 NU/GT/U.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies I am going to buy one but I dont want to at the moment and another quick question will my 350 watt power supply handle the system, it has been runiing my P4 2.6 oc'd to 3.2 for some time.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
It should be able to handle it, especially if you're getting a budget video card. How many hard drives, CD/DVD drives, case fans, etc. are you planning on using?

·
Registered
331 Posts
yea, determining if your PSU will be able to satisfy your needs depends on what other hardware you plan to put into your rig

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im going to have two optical drives and two serial ata hard drives and graphics card is a very low budget x300 but im definitely gonna overclock the cpu.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
That might strain it a bit. Check your voltages when you get it and when you overclock it. Also, make sure your drives and such don't pull too many amps.

·
Old Man
286 Posts
My first question is how much current can it handle? Make sure it can handle minimum 14A on the 12V Rail. Preferrably 18A or more. Wattage isn't the biggest concern.

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
mikeshoup said:
My first question is how much current can it handle? Make sure it can handle minimum 14A on the 12V Rail. Preferrably 18A or more. Wattage isn't the biggest concern.
you wanna double that if your running an a64, nf4 and a recent g/card (and possible two of them if he goes SLi). 14a is not enough.

He wants to go with a quality psu, id dare say 400w is the minimum i'd concider now. my 460w x-pro is rated for 30a on the 12v rail. plenty of poke should i need it:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts