Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, my comp is a PSU killer. I added 512MB of ram to my computer, bringing it up to 768MB. It worked fine, so i turned it off and swapped my DVD-ROM with a 120 GB HD, bringing my computer to 1 - 80GB maxtor, 1 - 20 GB maxtor, 1 - 120 Maxtor, and 1 DVD+RW Lite-On. After turning my computer on, i got no post, a long beep and a short beep. I unplugged my new HD and try it again and nothing. I stripped my drives down to the 1 80 GB HD. Still Nothing. Took the 80 out and got post and everything worked. I tried plugging in the power cable and no post. So I grabbed another PSU. It worked for a while, then my comp turned off. Now the PSU doesnt want to turn on at all. Any ideas whats causing this?

old PSU: Rhycom ATX 450 P4 (450Watt)
New PSU: dunno 300 watt

·
Forgot this place existed
100 Posts
Better get one more powerfull, prolly you system that asks too many power and your PSU can't take it. Maybe your 2 PSU were cheap too :p (maybe bad luck also ;))

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Player-X: 2 psu setup? how?

Knuckles: i know mine was cheap, my sisters ( the second one) was probebly also cheap. Im just worried that theres some damage to the mobo, and thats whats causing the dead PSUs.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
shorting the green wire to a neighbouring black wire on the mobo connector of the secondary PSU and using it for your hdd and stuff while your main PSU is connected only to the Mobo

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Player-X said:
shorting the green wire to a neighbouring black wire on the mobo connector of the secondary PSU and using it for your hdd and stuff while your main PSU is connected only to the Mobo
You have got to connect, as the ground reference, the black wires between both PSUs. Otherwise it won't work, even though I wouldn't recommend such set up. Better install a 500W+ PSU to your computer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
You have got to connect, as the ground reference, the black wires between both PSUs. Otherwise it won't work, even though I wouldn't recommend such set up. Better install a 500W+ PSU to your computer.
You don't exactly need to do that just connect a relay to a molex connector or front panel LED to short the green wire to the ground if electricity flows through it, although 500 watts shoud be enough

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Player-X said:
You don't exactly need to do that just connect a relay to a molex connector or front panel LED to short the green wire to the ground if electricity flows through it, although 500 watts shoud be enough
Yeah what you said before is true, the green wire is the PS_ON terminal that needs the logical 0 level or ground in order to power on the PSU, what I said is that both PSUs need to share the same logical 0 or ground so they can keep the same voltage levels to the whole system avoiding further issues with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont wanna go dual PSUs. any comments on that PSU? im pretty sure im getting it (already payed for it, but the charge didnt go through... go figure)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i found out what happened. i used more amps on startup then the psu would put out. It puts out 15 amps on the +12v line and i needed about 16.3 amps. If that is the problem, this new PSU will fix it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Too late, i already got the 450W one. My old PSU can still power the old HD, DVD+RW and DVD-rom. Too bad my OS is on one of the new HDs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know ppl dont like double posting, but IMO this is differfent enough to warrent it. I got my new PSU today. Works like a charm and i love it. super long cables, 6 or 8 molex connectors, 2 SATA, and the mobo cable has mesh around it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its rosewill 450W. its on newegg for $30.

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
wattage is nothing. quality and ampage is everything. if its a high wattage, lost cost psu. its gonna be below par. Thats the golden rule, and its never wrong;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts