Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to custom build the following PC, but is clueless as to what kind of PSU to get.

CPU: Phenom 9600 Quad-Core(2.3 GHz)
GPU: GeForce 9800 GT
RAM: 2x 2GBs DDR2(1000 MHz)
HDD: A single SATA drive

I don't know how power hungry the rest of the components are, but here they are, anyway:

USB: 4 ports can be used at any given time
Fan: I THINK he's getting a 120 mm one, but no clue on which one. Sorry. >_<
Media Drives: 1 DVD-RW drive, 1 floppy drive(don't ask).

What would be a recommended PSU? Also, due to the parts available over here, chances are we won't be able to get any of the PSU brands you might mention, so I'd rather have guidelines for W usage and amperage for the rails, if possible. Maybe I'm asking too much. Sorry for that. >_>

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Wattage total is not a good way to buy a PSU. Scrap that mindframe now or you're setting yourself up for failure. Having a high +12V rail is good, but not the be all end all itself. Name some brands available to you, specifically, the models, as well as a budget, and it may be easier to give an answer. That won't need anything terribly high end.

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'll have to do some research into that one, since I'm not the one actually getting the PC, but...
I'll be back with a list of the most common brands over here and overall prices. Budget is...kinda hard to measure at the moment. Most likely around the $100(you'd have to consider that things here tend to cost MUCH more than over at first world countries, though). I'll edit this or make another post once I have more info.

Here we go:

Cooler Master, Saikano and Thermaltake(in that order) seem to be the most available ones overall.
These are some I got the info for:

Saikano:
$70, 500w, 12v: 25a, 5v: 25a, 3.3v: 15a, 80/120 mm fan(two different models)
No model name or number.

Cooler Master:
$67, 460w, 80 mm fan. Can't find amperage per rail for this one. Will keep looking.
"eXtreme Power Plus, RS-460-PMSR-A3"

Thermaltake:
$65, 430w, 80 mm fan. Damned shops having no real info on their products(heck, their CPUs and GPUs have no info on their power usage or actual speed and processing power. Third world countries suck, most of the time).

Regardless of the lack of info on the later two, they shouldn't be much different from that of the Saikano brand. Out of those I have only heard of Thermaltake, so I don't know how reliable Cooler Master and Saikano are.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
If the Thermaltake is a TR2 430W, or the PurePower 430W (same unit with a new name), it's a ~350W overrated HEC piece of garbage. It's rated for 18A on the +12V rail, but it too is overrated (it's really only +17A). No matter which, that's sort of low.

Cooler Master isn't stellar, but I don't know a whole deal about them.

I haven't heard of the other brand.

Be sure to research all of them first.

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I said, I'm not sure I can get hold of a Corsair-branded PSU over here.

(By the way, Asus power consumption test claims that said PC would use around 600w. Is that somewhat accurate, at the very least?)

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Uhhh, unless you overclock those specs to the limit and on full load... I still don't think you'll be close to the 600w range. But it's always good to have a little bit of headroom.

I'd stick to a 600w PSU for a system like that.

I'd stay away from Cooler Master PSUs unless you buy their premium models. Their lower end models quality are very lacking from the reviews I've read.

I've heard of Saikano...but after Googling, I was a bit surprised. Saikano, or better known as Sintek. They make pretty good PSUs, especially for their price. The nifty thing about some of their models is the adjuster on the PSU itself. It makes for some very happy PC tweakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.