Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, since upgrading my video cards, I noticed that it had massive problems running them with SLI. I suspected a possible PSU issue so I disabled SLI with the card still plugged in, but no thirst for more power than required for it to idle: The problem diminished considerably. Back before christmas I used an online diagnostic that tells you, based on your computer's components, the optimal wattage for a PSU. After punching in everything I have running on it (both vid cards included), it recommended something just over 900W. I have a 900W-Peak (850W continuous) output PSU right now. I did some online boxing day shopping and bought a new 1000W PSU which just arrived today. However, I know that for gaming applications, it's usually a good idea to go with 20-30A 12V rails for SLI or any high-end vid card in general. The 850W I have now has four 20A 6-pin rails, but because retailers SUCK at giving you the important information about products, the 1000W has two 28A 8-pin rails, and four 18A 6-pin rails. The last I checked, my vid-cards take dual 6-pin connectors. So I am worried about plugging the 18A 6-pins into my video cards as I'm not sure if current stacks together as nicely as Voltage does. So, before I consider sending this thing back can someone KNOWLEDGEABLE about the subject give me the answers I seek?

1) Would the two 18A 6-pin power connectors be sufficient to run my factory-overclocked 9800GTX+ cards, in SLI, with a total 20-30 amps?

2) Would using the 28A 8-pin power connectors (1 for each card) be good enough to run the cards without any problems?

3) If the answer to any of those two questions is "No", can you PLEASE suggest a 1000W (flexible to 1100W) PSU that would give me the power I seek?

Thank you!

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
its more likely screwed up drivers, then the psu.

update to the leaked forceware 185's, they apparently fix sli related issues.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
If you can, try to find GALAXY

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its more likely screwed up drivers, then the psu.

update to the leaked forceware 185's, they apparently fix sli related issues.
Well, the reason I'm set on the PSU being the problem, is that the cards render everything just fine. The problems I was having was in graphic-intensive games like EVE-Online and Oblivion, I would get audible white-noise sent to my TV's speakers through the HDMI that would render the controls on the TV useless (none of the buttons on TV or remote respond while the noise is present). Disabling SLI really diminished that to the point where I get the occasional *burp* of noise in EVE and Oblivion. Secondly, the BIGGEST thing that makes me think it's the PSU, is that I have to turn on my computer TWICE before it boots up. Here's what the routine is:

1) Press the power button to turn it on.
2) Wait for about 5-10 seconds because the power comes on, but it doesn't boot up at all (no signal being sent to the TV).
3) Press the power button to turn it off.
4) Wait another 5-10 seconds.
5) Turn it on again, and it boots up like it should.

If that is still a display-driver issue, it won't surprise me. I've had much more weird stuff prevent my computer from booting in the past.

ie/ I had an old dial-up modem that died, and the computer refused to boot up until I removed it. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts