·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PSP2 graphics chip revealed?
Posted Jul 7, 2009 2:43 pm PT
By thorsen-ink
40 comments

Source: The Spanish cousin of UK-based Eurogamer.

What we heard: Though the more streamlined, UMD-less PSP Go was revealed just over a month ago at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, reports of Sony's next handheld are already sprouting up. Case in point: a report today on Eurogamer.es, which claims to have uncovered the processor at the heart of the PSP platform's successor, the PSP2. (Completely speculative concept art pictured--no form factor has been revealed.)

According to a handy translation provided by Eurogamer's hardware site Digital Foundry, Eurogamer.es is citing insider sources as saying the PSP2 will be powered by the SGX543MP chip from the PowerVR line of graphics processors. PowerVR is a division of GPU-maker Imagination Technologies, which also specializes in "the creation and licensing of semiconductor system-on-chip intellectual property."

A netbook equipped with a single-core version of the SGX543MP was shown off at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show running Quake III arena at a robust 30 frames per second while playing high-def video. Eurogamer.es claims the PSP2 will be sporting a quad core, low-power-consumption variant of the mutlicore chipset, code-named "Hydra," which can be used for both central and graphics processing. It can process 133 million polygons/second and will boast a 4 gigapixels/second fill rate if operated at the lower end of the spectrum to preserve the PSP2's battery life--more graphics-processing power than the original Xbox. Indeed, the SGX543MP is rumored to be at the center of a new HD-video capable iPhone, since its processors are already used by Apple in the iPhone 3GS. Apple currently owns a near-10 percent stake in London-based Imagination.

The official story: Sony did not respond to requests for comment as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus?: A little thin, but looking plausible. Last November, long after Apple licensed PowerVR tech in mid-2007, Imagination revealed a deal with an unnamed "major international consumer electronics company" to provide a "high-performance forthcoming member of Imagination's PowerVR SGX graphics processor family" for use in a mystery device or devices.
---

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I wonder if it will be download only? I won't buy that kind of system regardless of how cool it may be.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
So it will have the powah but more importantly will it have the second analog stick?
You can keep dreaming. We all know that sony is legendarily thick about giving their costumers what they want.
My eye is already twitching at thoughts of MGS:peace Walker's camera control.................I already have portable ops and that camera was a nightmare from hell.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,098 Posts
After 30 minutes of gameplay on the PSP 2:
*Replace battery,Battery is low, Replace Battery....*

Power? For what? When they will learn? DS hasn't mind-blowing graphics but it's still more sold than the PSP....

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
So someone saw a PowerVR SGX white paper, read up on how it's used in the iPhone 3GS, realized that they will have a quad-core version of it and got all excited? :innocent:

I wouldn't hold my breath over this. It's not even a rumor. Actually, nVidia Tegra as PSP2 might have been more credible. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
The whole reason I got a 360 over a PS3 was because of the removal of the emotion engine chip in the PS3. I now refuse to buy a PS3 until the price drops... a lot. The PSP2 though could cool, A second stick is needed and the downloadable format could be done though something similar to Xbox Originals and be able to buy points at a store.

·
Registered
281 Posts
PSP GO is the "GTFO umd player" version of the PSP. Seems the umd format is a pain is the @ss for sony. Now you'll have to (legally) download your games. I don't know why but I don't think it will be a great success....
I'm inclined to disagree. I like many people believe that the time of jumping in you're car and driving to the store to get you're fix (whatever it may be) is over. Look at the signs Netflix, Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, Direct2drive. It would seem that a PSP (with it's relatively small file seizes) is perfectly suited to fit in such a role.

If I could have bought every major title (that i was interested in) for my PSP at the click of a button (no shipping no waiting) I would have 4 or 5 times as many games.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Ok so show me the second joystick on the PSP and the ps3s full back compatibility 0_0.
Show me:
-Open bluetooth headset support
-native keyboard & mouse support
-3rd party OS support
-Remote play
-Open theme support
-Native WiFi AND ethernet on the same console
-BluRay
-Open internal HD upgradability
-Video chat
-Free web browser

On any other console.

The whole reason I got a 360 over a PS3 was because of the removal of the emotion engine chip in the PS3. I now refuse to buy a PS3 until the price drops... a lot.
It might drop some soon, but don't count on "a lot". The best usually costs more.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Sigh.....I will bet anyone that the DSi will eat this alive.....in sales and appeal....

And screw the Iphone, the big brother to my phone, the Omnia HD, already has 720p HD support. :p

The PS3 is still the best though. Once GT5 and FF come on board, the tides will definetly change.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Sigh.....I will bet anyone that the DSi will eat this alive.....in sales and appeal....
History has shown that the best selling product isn't always the best one.

And screw the Iphone, the big brother to my phone, the Omnia HD, already has 720p HD support. :p
I see. And how big of a software library does it have???

The PS3 is still the best though.
We agree here.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.