Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is definitely a good sign for me I may now think of getting one from lik-sang if this is the case:

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3506

In any event, the other part of this thread is to discuss whether they should make all types of home entertainment products region free (the new PS3, and Nintendo Console and XBOX)

In my POV I see this giving ppl who import a lot of games that do not come to their countries make it easier and without the use of the "chip" and "may" (highly unlikely though) reduce piracy. Post any of your thoughts :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is true, but it is kind of early for them to be building a chip for a PSP, however I do acknowledge the fact that from Lik-Sang that would not be a very good source in terms of whether it is region free or not. I am just dreaming and hoping it is true in any event I am hoping it is true, but if not, I guess it is the old fashion way if I want my imports ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
No IGN confirmed this along with PSP Insider and Gamespot. This is all true. I'm happy too, now I can import a few games every now and then. I would never import hardware though.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Same thing for the DS btw, saw this a while ago on a local magazine

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I'm glad that Sony is hoping on the bandwagon with Nintendo about region free games. This is awesome. I never really imported anything from Japan - other than my Pocketstation, but now think I'll buy a few Japanese games for sure - you know, the ones that never get released anywhere else, but are realy good :p

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, now if they do this for the next-gen consoles this would make me giddy like a school girl for a while till the next consoles come up hehe

·
Registered
774 Posts
Especially since the advanced copy protection in the new consoles is going to make bypassing it nearly impossible. I never really got what the point of region lockouts were anyway.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
__Xzyx987X said:
Especially since the advanced copy protection in the new consoles is going to make bypassing it nearly impossible. I never really got what the point of region lockouts were anyway.
Personally I think it is just a way to screw ppl who like certain games from JPN and the evil coporation from other places not willing to localize it since it might not be a huge success.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
I can get around that with a cheap pocket knife but it's too troblesome.

I hope they do that to the NG consoles as I play games in English, Chinese and Japanese

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sweet!

Now this might seem like a stupid question to some people but do Japanese games usually have an English text with them so I can change the language and actually read whats on the screen? or do I have to learn Jap if I want to import one? :)

<-- Never imported before

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Shlub said:
Sweet!

Now this might seem like a stupid question to some people but do Japanese games usually have an English text with them so I can change the language and actually read whats on the screen? or do I have to learn Jap if I want to import one? :)

<-- Never imported before
The vast majority are all in Japanese. If you're thinking of importing an rpg, then you're out of luck. However, there are a few games that have both Japanese and English. It seems to be becoming more and mroe prominent. The DMC3 demo, which was only available in Japan, has options for both English and Japanese. The same goes for the Japanese version of Silent Hill 4.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Captain said:
The vast majority are all in Japanese. If you're thinking of importing an rpg, then you're out of luck. However, there are a few games that have both Japanese and English. It seems to be becoming more and mroe prominent. The DMC3 demo, which was only available in Japan, has options for both English and Japanese. The same goes for the Japanese version of Silent Hill 4.
hhmmm I guess i'll wait untill someone else has one on import first then so I can get some feedback on it, thanks :)

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Or you could learn Chinese, The important parts of a line of japanese sentence are mostly using Chinese characters and the rest are mostly unimportant

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Player-X said:
Or you could learn Chinese, The important parts of a line of japanese sentence are mostly using Chinese characters and the rest are mostly unimportant
I suppose you are talking about hiragana. I'm sorry, but learning Chinese is not going to help you read Japanese. Hiragana is a Japanese alphabet which uses about 45 Chinese symbols. Although the symbols are the same, their meaning is completely different. In Chinese, the individual symbols stand for things such as nouns, verbs, etc. In Japanese, they are only phonetic sounds which must be put together to make something, much like the English alphabet. The only conceivable benefit of learning Chinese is that you will be able to practice writing hirigana characters.

Having said that, Japanese games use a combination of hiragana, kanji, and katakana, so you're pretty much screwed unless you can read and understand sentences written using those alphabets.

·
band
4,912 Posts
The Captain said:
I suppose you are talking about hiragana. I'm sorry, but learning Chinese is not going to help you read Japanese. Hiragana is a Japanese alphabet which uses about 45 Chinese symbols. Although the symbols are the same, their meaning is completely different. In Chinese, the individual symbols stand for things such as nouns, verbs, etc. In Japanese, they are only phonetic sounds which must be put together to make something, much like the English alphabet. The only conceivable benefit of learning Chinese is that you will be able to practice writing hirigana characters.
Im sorry, but since when did Chinese involve writing hirAgana characters...i believe the word you are looking for is kanji. In that case, knowing the meaning of the Chinese words does in fact help u in Japan because formally written sentences (or even informal, if your talking about reading nething past grade school -.-) involves a lot of kanji. Although im not too familiar with Chinese myself, I'm pretty sure that as long as you understand some basic Japanese grammar, knowing your kanji is going to help you understand the gist of every sentence in Japanese.

Captain, do u happen to be asian at all by any chance?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
D.D. said:
Im sorry, but since when did Chinese involve writing hirAgana characters...i believe the word you are looking for is kanji. In that case, knowing the meaning of the Chinese words does in fact help u in Japan because formally written sentences (or even informal, if your talking about reading nething past grade school -.-) involves a lot of kanji. Although im not too familiar with Chinese myself, I'm pretty sure that as long as you understand some basic Japanese grammar, knowing your kanji is going to help you understand the gist of every sentence in Japanese.

Captain, do u happen to be asian at all by any chance?
I'm not Asian, but I don't understand why Chinese would help you learn Japanese. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that most Chinese characters directly represent nouns, verbs, etc. That is why there are so many. Japanese, on the other hand, uses an alphabetic system where individual characters are combined to give meaning, much like Western languages.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
It also uses Kanji.
It has Hiragana and Katakana as thier sylibalic written language and Kanji are used as a part of it to write many words and parts of words.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
The Captain said:
I'm not Asian, but I don't understand why Chinese would help you learn Japanese. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that most Chinese characters directly represent nouns, verbs, etc. That is why there are so many. Japanese, on the other hand, uses an alphabetic system where individual characters are combined to give meaning, much like Western languages.

You won't understand unless you use that language regulary (If you don't already know I am of Chinese decendence)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts