Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im running CFW5.00 and,well im a pc guy not console, i had a thought the PSP and PS2 run Under the MIPS Architecture and i dont see why you couldn't convert an PS2 .ISO to an .EBOOT file...do you agree or is this just a stupid thought? :???: as i see it PS2 runs on a 200 or soo mhz last gen MIPS processer while a PSP runs on a current gen 333mhz MIPS Processer and i know that clock speed doesnt matter BUT that only goes for different architecture like PPC - P4 or last gen to current gen PIII - P4 so dont call me an idiot its a valid question...

·
Registered
52 Posts
im running CFW5.00 and,well im a pc guy not console, i had a thought the PSP and PS2 run Under the MIPS Architecture and i dont see why you couldn't convert an PS2 .ISO to an .EBOOT file...do you agree or is this just a stupid thought? :???: as i see it PS2 runs on a 200 or soo mhz last gen MIPS processer while a PSP runs on a current gen 333mhz MIPS Processer and i know that clock speed doesnt matter BUT that only goes for different architecture like PPC - P4 or last gen to current gen PIII - P4 so dont call me an idiot its a valid question...
Yes, this IS a stupid question. PSP hardware is COMPLETLY different from PS2. PSP is less powerfull than PS2, and has less RAM.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
^
This, mostly. The PSP actually has more RAM, but that ain't going to help it at all.

In addition to the MIPS CPU, the PS2 also uses 2 programmable vector units to assist in 3D calculations and various special effects. Modern day PCs have some difficulty emulating these vector units at acceptable speeds. A PSP has absolutely no chance of emulating them anywhere near acceptable speeds. Plus there's the addition of having to emulate the PS2's DSP and other subsystems as well.

Short version: No, it ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
-MADCAT:eek:k i said not be an a$$h0l3 but you proved your stupidity the psp and ps2 are very similiar MIPS Hardware and therefore, albeit w/clunky controls, a game could be ported to the PSP im not talking emu im talking native...masta.g.86:and i have a PSP1001 and that has 32mb ram not 64 like th psp 2000 series and up...sryy bout not saying that :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
and masta i completly agree...but im not talking emulation im talking slight code modification due to SLIGHTLY different hardware.....200mhz MIPS processer to 333mhz MIPS processer
now i realize that maybe actual coding is different but hell why not create an CFW that, is for say, the ps2 browser with i dunno FMCB(not literally) but XMB UI with PS2 functionallity due to hardware compatibility?

·
Registered
52 Posts
and masta i completly agree...but im not talking emulation im talking slight code modification due to SLIGHTLY different hardware.....200mhz MIPS processer to 333mhz MIPS processer
now i realize that maybe actual coding is different but hell why not create an CFW that, is for say, the ps2 browser with i dunno FMCB(not literally) but XMB UI with PS2 functionallity due to hardware compatibility?
In is not "SLIGHTLY different hardware" it's COMPLETLY different hardware, especially GPU. And - yes - you can make PS2 software run on PSP. You just need a source code of a PS2 game, then rewrite and optimise it for PSP, and then compile it for PSP. Good luck with making a CWF which will do it for you. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The PS2's CPU runs at just under 300 MHz (294.912/299, depending on version) and is based on the MIPS R5900 series, not to mention the other completely custom portions. The PSP's CPU is based on the MIPS R4000 series. The PS2 also has much higher memory bandwidth available for both the CPU and GPU. The PSX CPU (MIPS R3000a) is used for I/O purposes as well.

In short, you wouldn't be able to do a straight conversion from one to the other. There would be substantial reworking required.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
also psp games ported to ps2 are retail games as they are rewritten at the source code level, which takes allot of time and money, they arent simple conversions otherwise you would see lots more psp games ported over to ps2

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also psp games ported to ps2 are retail games as they are rewritten at the source code level, which takes allot of time and money, they arent simple conversions otherwise you would see lots more psp games ported over to ps2
ya....i agre w/your point thats y i said "i dont know how the coding is actually done" but the games that have are horrible, the controls suck and the graphs are funky

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I hope the end up releasing some ps2 games for Vita/ps3 in the near future..
wont happen, sony have stated there is serious licensing issues with ps2 games as they were licensed as dvd games and not downloadable ones and it needs to be downloadable as they need to modified to worl...

also it require devs and source code as the games cleary cant be emulated on the systems so it needs to be ported but getting source code is even harder than getting licensing

lastly sony want to handle the porting and making them psn games as they can take a huge chunk of the profits for the resale.... hence why they are having such issue with licensing... only time they let a port go if its a hd remake for ps3 otherwise they wont allow licensing as the game has been licensed to ps2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts