Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the mall and this girl at Sam Goody said the PSP is going to be USD $300, but they usually dont know jack sh**. Then I talked to this guy at GameCrazy and he said their going to be $190 to compete with the DS.

Has the price been announced officially yet? I dont want to pre-order it if it's $300 :nono:

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
I believe its going to be in the range of $170-$200 anywhere in between. But the price has not been officially announced so i would suggest u better hold on to ur money. Plus didnt u hear about the square button fiasco. Dont tell me u dont plan to use the square button ;) .

God Sony just knows how to f*** its own products. :hdbash:

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
OMFG... it's true they realy know how tu f**k up their producs... 'I didn't wanted to make the LCD screen smaller, and also I didn't want to make bigger dimensions of the mashine' <- most stupid quote I've heard for about week... 'we made the most beautiful thing in the world' ... no comment for that

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol well the square button will be fixed when we get it. That sucks for japanese gamers though, first Sony handheld and the damn square button is broke.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Oh yea, that was one of the dumbest interviews I have heard :p The price will probably be nearing the $200.00 mark, more or less. For launch, I wouldn't doubt prices to go up to $300.00 though, as there will probably be somewhat of a shortage.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
wasn't there some sort of craze when the xbox came out where prices skyrocketed? might see the same thing happen again, since it wouldn't surprise me if sony purposely creates a low supply situation to flex up the price.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Skyrocket prices are usually the fiascos of retailers and not that of the manufactuers...The retailers just capitolize on the supply and demand..They have the option to mark up the MSRP..This happens quite offen when only certain stores get initial shipments, but when the supply is readily available, then retailers stick with the MSRP to prevent gamers from buying elsewhere.

Sometimes it is even more outrageous...Just recal the PS2 eBay fiascos for example...

The MSRP for PSP in Japan is around $180...US usually comes in lower then Japan on initial releases..Either that or the price remains the same, but the device may sport a pack-in game / demo / accessory. Hmm..UK gamers seem to always get the shaft somehow..Not sure if it's because manufactuerers have to cover some fee (Thus the UK buyers have to eat additional cost). It just seems to always be that way..Perhaps a knowledgable UKer can shed some light ;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yeah i hope they release the psp in the USA for $200.00 or less. I'll probably buy one if they ever release soul calibur game on there or Final Fantasy game.

·
band
4,912 Posts
i overheard a guy at compusmart today (employee) telling his colleague that he had just gotten off the phone and made a deal for getting a psp for $199 CAD or smthn. prolly a special deal he made cuz of connections.

btw i wasnt eavesdropping >.< i was looking aroudn when the guy shouted "YES, getting a psp!"

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
LOL. Well for the rest of us customers, $200.00 CAD is a little unrealistic :p

Yea, when the Xbox came out, in Canada (at least in my area) They were trying to sell Xbox's for ~$700.00, I swear to god. I think I still have a pamphlet from launch. It was totally nuts. So instead I bought a PS2 for $600.00 ^_^

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Done deal
Per Gamespot
Sony will only sell the PSP as part of a single-SKU "Value Pack" for $249 in the US, CDN$299 in Canada. The new price point is $50 higher than the $199 many industry analysts predicted; that was based on the PSP's Japanese MSRP of 19,800 yen (approximately $185).

Besides the PSP unit itself, the Value Pack will include a 32MB Memory Stick Duo (which usually retails from $24.99 to $39.99 solo), headphones with remote control, a battery pack, AC adapter, soft case and cleaning cloth, and a UMD disc with game-demo movies, and a music and video sampler. As an incentive for early adopters, Sony will include a free UMD copy of the blockbuster superhero film Spider-Man 2 with the first one million PSP Value Packs shipped.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Expensive? Sony is lossing money big time with every sold PSP.
I think it's pritty cheap for a Value Pack, 200 Euro's aint much money for a great portable multimedia system..

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It's actually a good price for what you're getting, but money doesn't grow on trees as the saying goes. Like sure you could get a 42" Plasma TV for $2500.00 but who has money just like that? I know I sure don't.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
I don't want to say I told you so but, I told you so :p
The PSP costs way too much, the japanese price was interesting, not its US price, and its EU price will probably be just as bad. Definitly gonna get a DS.

·
I've Changed
298 Posts
DW is correct. Offical release: $249 when it is released in the US on March 24th. But, Lik Sang has a basic PSP for sale without the "value pack". Unfortunately, Lik Sang's price for the basic PSP is $329 US dollars, so the value pack in the US or ordering one directly from Japan ($185 US dollars) is the best way to go. But if Lik Sang has a basic PSP package, might not one come out in the US also, after the initial relase of course, for less than $250? Hmm, I wonder. I just might wait and see.
sx/amiga

·
Registered
965 Posts
You always pay a premium to be an early adopter, value pack ain't too bad especially if you get the Spider-Man 2 UMD, they shoulda squeezed it to $199 tho, DS will prolly still kill it in sales.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yea, they didn't specify who exactly gets the free Spiderman 2 UMD in NA. It's probably just the United States as usual and Canada gets gyped again ... ****ing Sony ...

This is another reason why i'm not getting the PSP right away. Sony really needsa to stop thinking about just Japan and the US. Canada and the rest of Europe and everywhere else is always left out ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts