Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a press statement from sony (<a href="http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/041027ae.pdf" TARGET="_blank">link</a>), there's now a release date for the PlayStation Portable (PSP): It should be available in japan on the 12th of december for a price of 20,780 Yen (roughly 195 US$). No date has been given yet for europe or the US.

This announcement proves, that Sony will start shipping of the PSP this year, even though media has reported otherwise during the past weeks. Unlike the old playstation, the PSP includes a WLAN, which enables it to go online and download games - or connect to up to 16 other PSPs (although I can't think of any use for such a large net of portable playstations).

Sony also announced to release games especially created for the PSP early 2005. These will be stored on an "Universal Media Disc", a media format developed by Sony. Further enhancements will be available in december as well, such as a memory card (30 US$) or a replacement battery set (45 US$). For emulation gamers remains the question if emulators will be cabable of playing the PSP games, especially since normal CD drives won't be able to read these universal media discs - we'll of course keep you updated on this question here at NGEmu.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, even without a really slow day we'd have posted this, as the PSP might finally bring some movement into the PSX scene again (and, in the worst case, it only requires you to use the "Load ISO" function) ...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LazyShadow is always ready for babe stuff :) But didn't you stop PCSX development ? :)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Sweet. I'm suprised more people aren't commenting. You know those Nintendo fanboys who all thought the psp was gonna be $300.00 US :p

Tanks for the news Bobbi. Much appreciated. Hmm, I'm not worried about PSP emulation on PC but what about emulation on a PSP through memory card slots :drool: That would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
If it is more close to the ps2 than the psone, does that mean it would be easier to port emulators for the ps2 to psp? Like Sony is doing to games?

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Sweet. I'm suprised more people aren't commenting. You know those Nintendo fanboys who all thought the psp was gonna be $300.00 US :p
the price surely impresses me after all those speculation. Itis in Sony's interest to have the price as close as they can to the NDS.

shadowpcsx2 said:
ME and my team are ready for this challenge once we get that babe on our hands
cant wait to see what will come out of all this :)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Me too Chrono :) Yea, that price is damn sexy - almost as sexy as the system itself :D

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Let's hope shadow isn't serious about emulating the PSP, he's got to work on PCSX2 at least a bit :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well, I hope he persues both but keeps his priorities in order ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
If he keeps his priorites like they are now, don't expect must changes to PCSX2 from shadow :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well to go along with this good news, there is some more! PSP will not have region locks on their games! This means that you can import games from let's say Japan and play them on yor North American PSP handheld! Well this gets me exited as I am looking forward to get some whacky Japanese games sometime :p

Full story here - IGN

·
我又来了!
15 Posts
the battery,
4~5 hours,

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Umm ... Maybe you could be more specific like this

To our delight, the battery life has finally been outlined, with Sony explaining that the handheld's rechargeable Lithium Ion battery will last for four to six hours for gameplay, and of four to five hours for movies. It’s important to note that these figures have been listed as ‘averages’, meaning that depending on how well optimized the software running on the PSP is, the battery life could be greater or less.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Umm ... Maybe you could be more specific like this
Do you really expect the batt to last that long (4~6hrs)? Most companies (except Nintendo - and no, i'm no fanboy, just look at the original GB, GBC and GBA specs) are known to push the specs up even if they don't match real life use. Let's wait until someone gets his hands on this beast to measure batt use.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well no one (except Sony) realy knows what the battery life will be. But considering that they have implemented a lot of battery saving features such as more memory to cache more and bigger files plus a few others I forget now :p I'm sure that is a proper estimate.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts