Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've not tried it, but it's been confirmed by multiple sources.

Utlises the buffer hack recently announced, downgrades 2.00 to 1.50.

Steps to use the MPH downgrader:

Requires :
- PSP 2.00 (if you have an 1.51 or 1.52, update to 2.00)
- The 1.50 EBOOT.PBP update (http://shockzone.free.fr/PSP/Tool/EBOOT_1.50.zip)
- MPHDowngrader (http://rapidshare.de/files/5607151/MPHDowngrader.zip.html)

- Create an UPDATE folder in the /PSP/GAME/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy EBOOT.PBP (update 1.50) in /PSP/GAME/UPDATE folder
- Unpack MPHDowngrader.zip
- Copy overflow.tif in your /PSP/PHOTO/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy h.bin to root of your memory stick (meaning in ms0:/)
- Copy index.dat in root of your memory stick (meaning in ms0:/ as well)
- Plug the AC adaptor

You memory stick filesystem should look like this (where X is your memory sticks directory):

X:/h.bin
X:/index.dat
X:/PSP/PHOTO/overflow.tif (with no other pictures in there)
X:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP (the 1.50 Firmware update eboot)

What you do next is go into the Photo Menu on the PSP and it will show some jumbled text, which is normal. Wait about 30 seconds and then restart your PSP.

From there you will now have a new file in your PSP’s root directory called ms0:/index.dat.bak. In the next step you will go to your Game Menu, Then Memory Stick, and then Launch “PSP Update ver 1.50.”

It will then ask you if you really want to downgrade and then lead you along to the actual installing. Here is where I got scared. It installed to 99% then errored. This is OK. Restart your PSP and turn it back on. It will come up with another error which is OK as well. Press O and you will have PSP firmware version 1.50, and it will lead you through setting up language and time etc.
Now I can play all my NES, SNES, GBA, N64 games on my PSP. WIPPIE! :)

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
I'd like to purchase a PSP but... err.. why downgrading? I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nevermore said:
I'd like to purchase a PSP but... err.. why downgrading? I don't get it.
Sony doesn't want anyone running any homebrew apps and/or emulators so they forced people to update thier PSP firmware to 2.00 because version 1.50 had an exploit that could allow people to run whatever app they wanted. Now the people who have 2.00 installed can choose if they want to downgrade their version to run hombrew apps and emulators. I for one will be downgrading. I just got to go home and pick up my PSP. :)

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
oooh so that'll be very useful when I get one :)

Thanks alot SkyeHack !

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,225 Posts
refraction thats not going to work for all homebrew though .. which 1.50 will. Maybe someday when they get more into the buffer overflow exploit it may be possible but I am sure Sony will plug that whole before too long. :p

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did it and I can confirm that it does work. Very easy to do BTW. I am exstatic!!!! :) Time for emulation!!! :)

·
カラム
365 Posts
This isn't Emulation News Related.

·
カラム
365 Posts
This should be in Misc Console Discussion.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Blablablah, it's not a newbie on the forum who'll tell us where to post.
This topic mainly talks about how cool it is to downgrade if you want to run EMULATORs.

It would have been ok in console discussion too, but it's not a problem in emulation news either. :akimbo: :mg:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
(Let me justify it some more then)

Here is where you can go and download all the newest PSP Emulators at:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/

Currently I have SNES, NES, GBA and Genesis emulators running on my PSP at 333MHz. Not bad at all.

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
It works like a charm, this morning i downgraded a friends PSP (he had a 1.51), and i´ll upgrade to 2.0 soon to check out the new feautures and then downgrade to 1.5 for the Genesis, Nes and Snes emulators.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am "ripping/backing up" my UMD games to my 1 Gig memorystick and playing the games off there instead of the UMD. Fastloader 0.7 and PSP firmware 1.50 make this happen. I am so happy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
SkyeHack, in your initial post here you said play you N64 games on the PSP also?? Is there a N64 emulator out there somewhere?

I just bought a PSP last night. 1.52 firmware. Upgraded via the Internet to version 2.00. Confirmed it working and goofed around with the web browser a bit. Pretty slick actually. Then ran the downgrade per the instructions for it and using SkyeHack's info here for reference. Mine went exactly like that. 1.50 installed

Working great. Just need a bigger memory card now.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LazerTag said:
SkyeHack, in your initial post here you said play you N64 games on the PSP also?? Is there a N64 emulator out there somewhere?

I just bought a PSP last night. 1.52 firmware. Upgraded via the Internet to version 2.00. Confirmed it working and goofed around with the web browser a bit. Pretty slick actually. Then ran the downgrade per the instructions for it and using SkyeHack's info here for reference. Mine went exactly like that. 1.50 installed

Working great. Just need a bigger memory card now.

No, not a "playable" N64 emulator yet, but there will be someday.

Also, fyi, I put 3 UMD games on my memory stick and used a "loader" (UMD Emulator 0.8c) to play the ISO's off there. I just need a 2 gig memory stick now, also. lol :)

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Welcome to the wolrd of 1.5 SkyeHack. I was lucky to get one when i bought it and have been using lots of emulators.
The best thing about the emulation on the psp is the screen that has a slightly higher resolution than that of the snes or genesis, wich makes the games look great.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.