Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Emulation Junkie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found this on Neowin.net....here is the links to 2 websites that have this article:

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000420067137

http://www.gamerandy.com/archives/2005/11/playstation_3_t.shtml

If what it is saying is true, worrying about copy protection would be over....you would HAVE to purchase the games retail, and once "verified" on your PS3 (which also implies a mandatory internet connection for the console so the games "ID" can be checked against Sony's database) can not be run on ANY OTHER PS3 in the world. No more borrowing games from a friend. No more buying used games, no more taking your disc over to a friends house for some head-to-head. This also rules out video game rentals unless they create special discs for blockbuster and other rental joints.

I LOVE my PS2....but I am really starting to be turned off by Sony.

Also, ironically enough, a patent just came to light that Apple is trying to do something similar with restricting their OS to only certain hardware:

http://news.com.com/Apple+tries+to+patent+tamper-resistant+software/2100-1045_3-5942107.html?tag=nl

I think America needs to start a boycott of any product made with DRM technology that obviously oversteps the bounds of our Fair Use Rights.

· Registered
209 Posts
That's pretty lame, not everyone out there can afford 50-60 dollar games and usually try to get games at a cheap price through pawn shops or from the used section of video game stores(ebgames, gamestop, etc...). Was planning to get a PS3 since I bet yet again that'll be where all the majority of RPGs that'll be worth playing will be at, but if this is true then gonna forget about getting a PS3 completely.

I don't see them doing this though as they'll definately most likely loose a lot of fans. I mean, what would you do if the system itself breaks down and you have to return it for a new one if they can't repair it? You'd have all those games that can't be played on it because of that. :(

· Banned
10,931 Posts
Somehow even MGS4 and DMC4 isn't that tempting anymore, the main advantage with a console it that you can bring your games to a friends house and play it without any installation, no fuss no mess, unfortunately that destroys that advantage

· ...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
this story doesn't sound realistic. also, this kind of story would appear on ign and gamespot if it were true. and thirdly, they'd never set it up in a way that you'd NEED an internet connection to play. nobody is as annoying as valve/steam.

· Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
Bah..
Keep in mind this is rumor and speculation. It is not yet known whether Sony will implement this in PS3 or how it will be used. Plus we doubt they aim to upset the bottom line of the very same retailers that will be selling their games (New and Used)

· Registered
2,171 Posts
ummm..it is am impossibility... there is nothing they could check to make it unique to you... All PSX versions of ummm...say Chrono Cross (US retail) are identical, all PS2 games are identical in there region...they are all mass produced, there is no seperate serial number for each game...Bottom line, the article is utter BS. Even doing this on Ps3 games would be a HUGE burden on them to make each game pressed with a unique serial embedded

· band
5,270 Posts
iirc the creater of God of War recently spoke out about the concerns that devs had about the sale of used games around the for every used game sold, they dont earn a single penny issue.

this could very well be reality :(

that said i have never bought a used game on any system that is current (at the time of purchase) and i never intend to :)

· The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
Damn, all the ps3 games will be really worth the 60 dollars retail and i will be soooo happy with every game i buy, there won't be any "i don't know why i bought this game, i want to get rid of it ASAP" anymore since they will only sell excelent games........ YEAH RIGHT

If i don't like a game i want to be able to get rid of it as soon as possible.
Anyway, needing an internet service for every game will make them lose market so i guess this is just speculation. There are thousands of people out there who don't have a fixed internet connection at home.

Even if it's used, with a chip and a fake server all could be solved :innocent:

· Registered
18 Posts
Jldnr77 said:
Also, ironically enough, a patent just came to light that Apple is trying to do something similar with restricting their OS to only certain hardware:

http://news.com.com/Apple+tries+to+patent+tamper-resistant+software/2100-1045_3-5942107.html?tag=nl

I think America needs to start a boycott of any product made with DRM technology that obviously oversteps the bounds of our Fair Use Rights.
I think you are misunderstanding the nature of that article on Apple. It makes perfect sense hey would use that in order to keep things such as people running OSX on a PC from happening... not so much coding for movies or some bs... Leave them out of this perhaps?

· Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Not gonna happen, it would cause too many problems. If they did integrate it somehow they would have to be very careful on how they do it. Sony may be dumb when it comes to them introducing every type of medium imaginable :p But they aren't mentally retarded - Especially when it comes to consoles ;)

· PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,398 Posts
lay or not, it's good that I've just bought
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
:evil: and I hope that If I'll (ever) buy a PS3 it will fit in it :p, also I don't care since I'm 100 000 % sure that there will be solution to avoid this crap :D

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Not gonna happen, it would cause too many problems. If they did integrate it somehow they would have to be very careful on how they do it. Sony may be dumb when it comes to them introducing every type of medium imaginable :p But they aren't mentally retarded - Especially when it comes to consoles ;)
Agreed.
And I can almost bet that they'll be the first to make Writable BRDs :lol:

· Registered
68 Posts
I'm not really suprised by this. I mean the PS3 is supposed to use BLU-RAY right? Well If you look up some of the things that are in the specifications for BLU-RAY and HD-DVD players(Mandatory firmware upgrades, Internet connectivity and my favorite of all: self-destruct functionality) then you will realize that having games "marry" consoles is nothing. Wait until your brand new $300-400 game console turns into a paper weight because it thinks you have a pirated game.

It is truly amazing that Sony has the balls to try this in light of their other problems(poor profits, lawsuits over that root kit on one of their "cd"s). But I would expect the same things to be present with Microsoft and Nintendo's offerings(Unless the whole political climate around "Intellectual Property" changes real soon).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.