Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sales of Sony's redesigned Slim beat Xbox 360, Wii and DS Lite by 3:1

Having launched at UK retail last Tuesday, Sony’s PS3 console has enjoyed a colossal week-on-week sales jump, with numbers of ChartTrack’s Week 36 showing a 999 per cent sales increase over the week before.

ChartTrack has told MCV that it is not releasing specific sales numbers, but did say:

“The sales increase is very impressive, making the PS3 the top selling hardware in Week 36. The Xbox 360, Wii and DS Lite all sold around the same amount last week – PS3 Slim outsold each of them by a ratio of three-to-one.”

The sales-tracking firm added that it’s unsure how long the uplift will continue for.

“The longevity of this uplift very much depends on the time of year. The PS2 Slim was released in November, much closer to Christmas. We’ll have to wait and see how things work out for Sony this time.”

Source
Its awesome to see that and am pretty sure every Playstation fan here will be happy to heard that... am not a Sony fan anymore but even i feel happy because of that as Sony has suffered a nice KO this generation and somehow they have to recover... anyways am afraid there happiness will last long as Nintendo hasn´t dropped the price for the Wii since the lauch day which could be one of Nintendo´s joker :rolleyes: and it could definitely turn the cards anytime.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if many gamers buying the PS3 systems already own a Wii or a 360. At this point I can't see the Wii as continuing to sell as it did in the first few years, but I'll bet Nintendo will package the Wii with a "free" game, maybe like they did with the Gamecube several years ago, and have the gamers choose one of four games.

I remember Zelda Wind Waker (with OoT and MQ) being one option and Mario Sunshine being another but I can't remember the other two options. Maybe if they get their butts in gear they might have New Super Mario Wii as an option?

It will be interesting to see if the PS3 keeps momentum, it doesn't matter to me the order of the systems based on popularity, as I want a 360 and can get most of the games I want for it at the moment. Whether the 360 is in first or last place via popularity won't affect how much I enjoy it or my Wii...

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
nah... the 999% its fine as it shows how bad the PS3 sales were. 1028% will make it looks even worse than :p
1. PS3 sales were fine. Worldwide, it had sold more for the time it's been out than the 360. Don't make me pull out the sales figures for the umpteenth time.

2. The increased sales shows only an initial response to the price drop, and isn't indicative in any way of how well or poorly it was selling before. These sales figures will likely continue for the next few weeks and then taper off to something more reasonable.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I doubt Sony was happy with the sales, and Activision, among other 3rd party companies wasn't happy as they demanded a price drop or they were going to stop supporting the PS3 (and the PSP as well! :cry: )

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Well, it makes sense to - it's the games that are supposed to be profitable, not the console. Unless they're already not breaking even on the PS3...

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Joystiq said:
Japanese consumers purchased 152,530 PlayStation 3 units last week, which represents a 7,350 percent increase from about 2,000 units the previous week. This is the highest number of PS3 systems sold in a single week in Japan, ever.
PS3 hits weekly sales record in Japan

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Just shows that almost everyone wanted a PS3 but they didn't have the money to shell out. :p

Some other facts not so well known:
- PS3 Slim consumes roughly 50% less power than the original fat PS3 models in any situation.
- Gran Turismo 5 has approximately 1000 cars, spanning from antiques in 19xx all the way to concepts in 20xx, and interior/c0ckpit view, and Nascar, and WRC modes.
- Fact number 2 would turn a lot of heads.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
That is quite an impressive sales boost to say the least. Being Japan they will likely continue for a while yet and come time for FFXIII release it will likely be pretty crazy sales wise.

Well, it makes sense to - it's the games that are supposed to be profitable, not the console. Unless they're already not breaking even on the PS3...
I think reports have been made stating that there is still no profit being made on the console itself, even after all the cost reduction and redesign, rather profits from games and sales of blu-ray movies and discs.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Sony'll get my money when the PS3 goes down to at least $200.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They say they dont make money on the PS3, and I call a crock of crap. The actual cost to produce a blu-ray player, and the PS3 are not that high. Sure the R&D are high, and they have to cover the spread on that over time, but they are making a profit over the cost of production, just calling the profits a loss as they are paying off the R&D.

And now there are less costs with the slim PS3. Originally the PS3, had PS3 and PS2 hardware. Then came the 80GB which went to software PS2 emulation, and PS3 hardware. So there is some savings there. They kept the large case. Now as sales slow, they jam it in a smaller case, with some refined features, and make even more off it.

The biggest reason to own a PS3 is for the blu-ray player. Its a great system, but the blu-ray player is the real kicker. When I bought mine, it was $400 or so. But the cheapest blu-ray player at that time was $650 (these are CDN prices). And the blu-ray player in the PS3 is one of the better players you can buy.

Sales will be high for maybe 3 weeks tops. Taper off to regular lows, and pick up at christmas again, as will all consoles.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Then how come the PS2 Slim dropped to $99? IIRC it had a few price drops.
Also IIRC the Cell Processor for the PS3 wasn't that cheap to mass produce, plus there are other parts like the video card etc to the PS3. $299 is probably a fair price for the PS3 even if I'm uninterested in the system. I'm sure others will buy the system for that price.

As far as the Blu Ray goes, I've seen Blu Ray players for under $200, although I am uninterested in them as well. Gimmee 5 years and I'll buy a $100 Blu Ray R/W Burner to use for data storage, but at the moment my DVD burner works fine...

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Of course they won't. They're reactionary sales figures. They'll die down after a few weeks until xmas.
Well yeah, by last I didn't mean "stay the same as they are", but the question I'm wondering is weather or not the sales figures will remain higher than they were before. Say Jan 09 vs Jan 10.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
They say they dont make money on the PS3, and I call a crock of crap. The actual cost to produce a blu-ray player, and the PS3 are not that high. Sure the R&D are high, and they have to cover the spread on that over time, but they are making a profit over the cost of production, just calling the profits a loss as they are paying off the R&D.

And now there are less costs with the slim PS3. Originally the PS3, had PS3 and PS2 hardware. Then came the 80GB which went to software PS2 emulation, and PS3 hardware. So there is some savings there. They kept the large case. Now as sales slow, they jam it in a smaller case, with some refined features, and make even more off it.

The biggest reason to own a PS3 is for the blu-ray player. Its a great system, but the blu-ray player is the real kicker. When I bought mine, it was $400 or so. But the cheapest blu-ray player at that time was $650 (these are CDN prices). And the blu-ray player in the PS3 is one of the better players you can buy.

Sales will be high for maybe 3 weeks tops. Taper off to regular lows, and pick up at christmas again, as will all consoles.
HAII, why would sony lie about losing money?????? No, i didn't read your whole post.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.