Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
BurnOut Paradise is the best racing title on the PS3 in case you haven't heard. :p

And if you ever pick that game up, you might come across me one day.

PS3 shooters are so, so... (whichever one, it doesn't matter)

For action games, definitely consider Devil May Cry 4, as the rest of 'em ain't as "satisfying" as it is, imo.

If you need an RPG, maybe pick up Oblivion. If you need a SRPG, no game surpasses Disgaea 3. (IMO, Disgaea 3 might well be the best RPG on PS3)

If you need something unique, there's Little Big Planet. You might also meet me online in this game... but rarely, since the game's online feature isn't too cool.

Well, that's that. If you pick up MGS4, you might see me in MGO as well. :) I don't go online in my other games.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
For the mods. For the graphics and framerate. For the MOUSE!!!
Only for the mods. I find the graphics just fine for the PS3 version. :p The framerates are awesome. It never lagged even if I got like... 38 corpses in the same area (raided a guard post for fun). It WOULD lag on my computer with that many corpses for some reason. This game requires a VERY HIGH END computer to fully enjoy at HD resolutions. If otherwise you have to run it at reduced graphics then it loses the novelty, right? And sincerely... very high graphics for this game are still pretty demanding. I wouldn't boast about it, but my PC is quite a piece, and it still couldn't hold this game up at too high a setting. :p

Also the PS3 version of this game doesn't suffer from jumpy framerates, slow loading times, low view distance, low-res textures, and heaps more, since it went with a supposed patch to fix all of such problems. The PC and 360 versions were supposed to get that patch about two months later.

As for the mouse, I find using the analog sticks just fine. Heck... don't people connect XBox360 controllers to their PCs to play games anymore? :p And why would you need a mouse in a game with... swords? I know you occasionally use bows, but I personally just jump in and slash my way through... so an analog stick is plenty, if not much more accurate than a mouse in this perspective.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
btw, anyone can tell me why exactly Need For Speed Undercover gets such a poor score? Critic Score averages upto 6.5/10 only.. Graphics and all looks soo good though? except for maybe the story? or gameplay?
Because they went with the wrong route completely with the NFS series. It was good until Most Wanted, then no matter what they did afterwards, it would never be the same. If you really really like racing games, you should get Burnout Paradise instead. Note that although both NFS and Burnout come from EA, they are developed by different studios, so there's no reference there.

I have personally played NFS and I can only say that it's horrendous this time around. It's just basically... a worse version of Most Wanted, and the graphics are not even as good as Burnout Paradise to boast.

Heres the deal... i cant decide, I went to buy, but I couldn't make up my mind, Uncharted or Devil May Cry 4? Both these titles seem like they will be great... but which one to choose ... :|
Devil May Cry 4. You'd regret it for pretty much the rest of your life if you get Uncharted... imo. Uncharted has horrible aim for a shooter game, horrible shooting feel, and if its graphics weren't pretty, it would just suck plainly. It's like Stranglehold with better graphics, basically. And Stranglehold is like... uhhh... those Matrix games that we've been fed over the years. It's a shame, really, because I hoped Uncharted was more like Max Payne, but it got really lame in the end.

As for Little Big Planet, it's a game where you can play with... pretty much anyone who knows how to hold a game controller. It's also very fun creating a stage and playing with the physical aspects of them. Better yet, you can explore them in details since your character is much smaller than the stage itself. The customizations are extras, but I think they add a nice feel to the game. And heck, you can even recreate other games in Little Big Planet. Say... you can make a Metal Gear Solid stage, and dress yourself up as Solid Snake and lunch around for fun.

As for the PC, it just ain't getting what it can anymore, as a matter of fact. I am only anticipating the release of Burnout Paradise on the PC, but truth be told, not like I'm going to get that game. I just wanna see how it would look on a PC... maybe with a demo or something. :p That said, my mindset is not exactly... PC-oriented. I like developing games and emulators and other stuffs on the PC, but aside from that, not much more to poke.

Getting back on Disgaea 3... hmm... I think that game is going to keep you seated for months or even years if you want to truly complete it with everything. Imagine getting a character from level 1 to level 9999... at the pace of a normal RPG where you're getting from level 5 or something to level 100. :p (that means 1 level in Disgaea is just as fast as or even slower to gain than 1 level in normal RPG) Disgaea is supposed to be a game where you level up and power up to the extreme, almost passing the limits of what you'd call... sanity and common sense. The game has a total damage indicator that surpasses 20 digits (highest I've seen is 20 digits) so you can pretty much guess how much work it's going to be. If you have had to deal with bosses with 1 million HP in FF, then now you should prepare to face bosses with 1 trillion HP. :p (or more)

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Well. I was actually going to buy them both at different times though.

I downloaded the Uncharted Demo, it was really cool. The aiming part was not so difficult, its like a third person shooter game. I might go for it.

But now to check if there is a Devil May Cry 4 Demo.
There is one. It should be on at least the European and North American PlayStation Network.

As for Japanese voice acting sounding better, it should be because of the different stereotypes of adult and child voices in the East and in the West. Say... a "manly" voice in the West is by a guy with extra deep voice and probably his nose all clogged up, with a kind of roaring sound to it, whereas a "manly" voice in Japan is by a probably 20-year-old guy who sounds very soft and gentle. As for child's voice, Western thinks it's supposed to be high-pitched. Eastern thinks it's supposed to be girly.

Well, you get the rest. :p (Yay for stereotypes! ...or NOT)

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
I once downloaded the PC Demo for Devil May Cry 4, but given that my rig sucks ass, I couldnt even run it once. I wonder if I will have to buy the PS3 Demo. But I dont like to Buy demo's.
oO Since when did you have to buy demos for any system at all?

No... all demos are free... and are supposed to be free. Now... beta versions are those that might not be free sometimes. But demos are all free.

If thats how its supposed to be for the voice acting, then they have got it both wrong.. However, I like the lead character to have a soft and gentle voice. I mean not like roaring, for example take FFX's Tidus English Voice. It fit perfectly to his personality and character. Most of the time with English Voice Acting, it doesnt happen, there always seems to have a problem with voice unfit to the specific character.

In most japanese versions voice fits perfectly.

but I was talking more about buying FFXIII if the japanese version had English subtitles. I couldnt care less if the voice was japanese if I get to know whats going on. XD
Because the ones choosing the voice actors are Japanese.

Now... let Americans choose, and you'll immediately feel the difference.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Um, according to the Final Fantasy XIII thread, they're charging for that demo, and PSX/PS2 games demos used to be sold on quarterly released CDs.
Charging for the FFXIII demo? :p Well, the only demos I know that got any kind of real charge are those that require an XBox Live Gold account to download. Like... the Resident Evil 5 demo, and the Call of Duty 5 demo on the XBox 360. I think what they meant was that they might put it on only for XBox Live Gold accounts... maybe. It's ridiculous to charge like... maybe $10 for a 10-minute demo when you pay $50 more for the full game, right?

As for PSX and PS2 demos, they were still technically free. You were paying for the disc... pretty much. Supposing they had HDDs and an internet service, those demos would be free for download.

The 10 day trial of World of Warcraft used to sell for $1.99 on CD.
That's a trial, not really a demo? IMO, a demo is only a small part of a game. Maybe with only 10% of its engine features intact. Trials are complete games that are for evaluation purposes only, and have limits upon them which you can remove for a charge of some sort.

Some older XBOX and PC mags "sell" demos with the magazine, you're not just getting the magazine but demos as well, I think that's how some PC magazines still survive...

:evil:
Eh... but you pay for only the magazines, right? They only include occasional demos for the heck of it. Again... you may still find them for free elsewhere, and any system with an HDD attached to itself may find free demos everywhere. Now... try not to confuse demos and trials as those are two different things altogether, imo.

and then they saw uncharted 2 which is one of the only game so far to REALLY push the ps3 to its limits ( caution watch out for ps3 explosions:lol: )
I respectfully disagree. Uncharted is far from being the best looking game imo, and it's only the best looking because of PS3 fanboys... (oh... figures...)

And Uncharted 2 is indeed far from being the only game to push the PS3 to its limits as well... again... because of fanboyism.

A limit of a console has no real... meaning. Really. :/ You want pretty graphics on your PS3? Grab a HDTV and a HDMI cable set. No really, I insist. Without an HDTV and an HDMI cable, the PS3 doesn't really show off its graphics.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
I want Disgaea 4 and the level cap at 99999 instead of 9999 now. :p (yep, ninety thousands, not nine thousands)

It's addictive leveling up like mad. lol

(Phil, in case that's confusing, I'm literally saying: to HELL with real-time-combat RPG, turn-based strategy for the WIN!)

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Yeah, it's addictive as hell. I can't get enough of it... to be honest. It's a straight-forward game where all you do most of the time is battle and beat the living **** out of anything you see on a map, and it feels really satisfying because you can really do damages beyond common sense, and strong opponents keep popping up to keep you company. So basically, you're not without opponents here. You can even make them all go 9999 in level and face off against 20 of them at once if you're that bored. You're just never powerful enough in the game (so it kinda urges you to keep powering up) but you're also too powerful in the game at some places (so it feels like all your training paid off), and no battle is meaningless, unless it's a character that's already maxed out in all stats (such a being exists?).

Also just about anything you do in the game would make sense, and contribute to something else... which is good. I don't usually like to waste my time in a turn-based game if I can spend it leveling my characters up for stronger opponents.

Like... I remember how frustrated I was when it took Cloud about half an hour to "Omnislash" Ruby Weapon to death. 1,000,000HP? Pfff... try taking that thing on at 10x 9999 damage at a time... and it felt like an eternity. And not like you could do that kinda damage all the time without cheating.

In Disgaea... you can level and power up your characters to no end, thus allowing you to end that annoying ultimate boss in like... 1 regular attack. So it's not like you have to push your luck to try to destroy that ridiculously strong ultimate boss anymore, you just have to train hard, then go back and crush him.

Fun fact: I thought I finished the game... when I got my character to 100000 attack points. But noo... there just has to be a boss that has THREE times that attack points stat... and just about that much in any other stats. And then rumors has it that if you kill him, he comes back with 1.5 times the stats he had. :lol: And you can even raise his levels up even further (up to 4 times) if you are that bored... so there... see the picture?

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
oO.......Thats overkill mate.

Funny thing is one of my coworkers actually got fired over disgea......

he kept coming in late because he was addicted to the game.
I leveled up 20,000 times in 2 days. :p (that's twenty thousand times... literally) Is that overkill?

To top it off, you can even reincarnate your character to start from scratch (level 1!!!) with better stat bonuses, so it's almost never boring.

I bet your co-worker didn't think of getting the game on a DS or PSP... heh... :p

Fun fact: once you start leveling up, it's a never-ending cycle.

Ah sorry, I just tought it was obvious that you use HDMI cable... Why else buy the HD-TV?:lol:
Some people use Component cables because they got it for their PS2? I know I did. :lol:

...hmm. Are they continuous in the story, I mean would I have to buy 1 & 2 for it actually be meaningful to buy the newest one? ...Because those older two are seriously a pain to find, I guess it shows how popular they are:( Or that they once again screwed up the number of games brought to EU not to mention up here in the north...
They are kinda parallel. Like... Disgaea 2 happens about the same time Disgaea 1 does... and Disgaea 3 pretty much does that as well. The gap in their timeline seems to be a few years or a few hundreds, no idea... since characters in the game age about 100 times their looks. Say... the main character of Disgaea 1 looks 13 years old, but is actually 1300 years old. That means even if it's 100 or 200 years later, he's not going to look much different. And you do see characters from the other Disgaea games, so I can tell... that they all still look the same.

There's definitely a difference in levels, though. Like... the characters in Disgaea 1 would be at level 4000 or 6000 something in Disgaea 2... and so on.

Oh yeah, and all characters are aware that they are in a video game show, and are all aware of their own levels as well as others' levels. There is nothing to hide in the game, and you get to see every single characters' stats, even your enemies. But I think they did that so you'd **** your pants when you see the stats of those level 4000 monsters. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts