Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a PS2 USB converter, what's the best one out on the market right now?

I have one at the moment, but it's a no name and not working that well. The drivers that came with it didn't work and luckily Windows XP recognized the device.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i've heard the radio shack one is good.

i have the Elecom one which is absolutely GREAT i've never had to manually install drivers for it and its always worked perfectly with no problems. i dunno where to get it though, i bought it at a retail store in japan :p

·
Registered
317 Posts
Do not get the radio shack converter, there is something seriously wrong with it, as it will work for some time and then it will just stop without any warning(thats what happened to me). I finally ended up rewiring my XBOX controller to work with a regular USB. If you get a converter, dont waste your money on generic ones like the radio shack.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Aided Onslaught said:
I have the radio shack one, and it works great, but I would say buy one with more features. Like with two/4 ports, and what not.
i have the Boom adapter which does one N64 and one PSX. the PSX thing died after a while....and the two controller thing is a MAJOR hassle. just get two single adapters, it will work much much better.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,398 Posts
My USB adapter from Manta (it's local company which deal with electronic stuff) has been working great, it's in a closet for some time, but I think its still 100 % working :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Seems there's mixed opinions on the RadioShack one so I might hold off on that.

Anybody else try the RockFire adapter? I've been hearing good things about it and might look into purchasing one. Anybody know a place with the RockFire available and shipping to Canada?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can any1 post links for the SmartJoy (the first one, i cqan't seem to find the SmartJoy 2 anywhere) or the one they bought at Radio Shack?

Kinda ambigious w/o any pictures?

So all the controller converters mentioned here will work with both a PS1 and PS2 Dual Shock controllers with full rumble and analog support?

As secondary features for me, do they also work with them light guns, PC PS/2 keyboards/mice, and dance pads?

·
Registered
654 Posts
The Radio Shack one works with both PSX and PS2 controllers - you just don't get the variable pressure sensitivity on the buttons. It also does analog and rumble for both.

Product page: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=26-304

Its manual: http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/Manuals/OME26-304.pdf

The Windows Control Panel configuration panel for it shows gamepad, dance pad, driving wheel and fishing. Dunno about light guns, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work; don't PSX light guns work by emulating one of the four existing Playstation modes (i.e. digital gamepad, analog gamepad, analog joystick, NeGcon)?

Keyboards and mice for PS/2, I couldn't begin to hazard a guess, unless you're talking about something like a Max Shooter or SmartJoy Frag, both of which do work with the RadioShack adapter.

Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the posts. My friend just gave me his N64 for cheap so I'm going to buy a game for it.

So next week I'll probably look to purchase the SmartJoy2 as it seems to be the best of the mix after reading a couple of reviews.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
oh btw, i'd recommend getting a PSone controller to use with it. i love mine. it has a very firm Dpad and firm joysticks (compared to a regular dualshock). the PS2 has analog buttons and pad so its kind of...hmm...soft? sometimes. i like the digital click-click of the PSone pad.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
just get one from Lik-Sang. i can personally advise against any made by Boom, as they suck. my Elecom one kicks ass though (not sure if they have that on lik-sang though, i got mine from a retail electronics store in japan)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.