Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be a nice idea for a knowledgeable to make a post detail the specific specs of the ps2, then give an explanation on why its so hard to emulate - such as cpu power, gpu bandwidth etc.

just a suggestion ^_^

-Si

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
AFAIK most of ppl wouldn't understand what is posted :) probably you'll have to know programming language(s) to understand what the problem is...
PS2 specs are well known in the world ;)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Well from what I understand, these are some of the reasons it's slow:
128-bit: requires 4 times as many clocks from a 32-bit CPU.
SIMD: The PS2 mas built on vector pcocessing. The PC has vector processign bolted on
Parrallel: There are essentialy 3 CPUs and the graphics synthesiser working in parrallel. Parrallel on a single processor = not good.
RISC: Regarding the relative low clock of the PS2 (300/150/150), the processors are RISC and can do far more work per clock than CISC processors like the x86.
Bandwidth: PS2 games are designed not to store data in memory, but throw it around and only have it in memory when needed. This needs oodles of bandwidth.

Well thats a couple of points anyway. There are many more I'm sure, but you can get the idea: the PS2 is fundamentaly different to the PC, making it hard to emulate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So this brings up a point, for those of us with dual/quad (soon the be 8-way with the duel core chips) is there any plans to increase the number of threads/fibers (increase parallization) of pcsx2 to take advantage of this?

·
Registered
669 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you're asking about a 64 bit version of PCSX2, I've heard it's coming but when I have no idea CKemu wont answer my damn IM I sent him like weeks ago he'd know more on the subject since he is in constant contact with ASADR, Linix and Shadow the most.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Kanodin said:
If I'm not mistaken you're asking about a 64 bit version of PCSX2, I've heard it's coming but when I have no idea CKemu wont answer my damn IM I sent him like weeks ago he'd know more on the subject since he is in constant contact with ASADR, Linix and Shadow the most.
well i know shadow has build the first 64bit version of pcsx2, but it was buggy as hell, so there's still a bit of work to be done on it as of yet, you're probably looking at towards the middle of the year maybe Q3 2005

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Then you still have the parrelellism issue, the IPC issue, the SIMD issue and the bandwidth issue.
Dual core 64-bit processors isn't an automatic solve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about a 4-core 64-bit system with 4 gb of ram and dedicated rendering hardware (8.6b p/s and 540m triangles/s) with 256 mb of texture/vertice memory? Anyways.. my question wasnt so much about 64-bit systems as it was with parallism in the current pcsx2 binary. It seems to be fairly serial in regards to command execution and doesnt take advantage of multiple processors (smp aware).. Just curious if this was a design decision or if later down the road they were looking at redesigning it to take advantage of n-core systems.. seems like this is something that could really gain alot of benefit to becoming smp aware.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well - the reason i wanted this was that most people _don't_ understand why its so hard. Actually, I've learnt something as well. If a 'kid' faq was made, perhaps we'd get a little more understanding out of the community ^_^

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mykas0 said:
You want me to do it? :D
schattenberg88 is damn right.
If you wrote it, that would be a helpful deal for every newby person who's interested in emulation PS 2.
For me, e.g. ;)

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
to do multicore emulation it would require the programming in of threads. "Threads" are different peices of code executing at the same time. Also it would require the detection of how many cores there are. If you got two cores that have hyperthreading it could very well detect four cores. How much of a speed up would you get? I got no clue what-so-ever. I do know it would require ALOT more code and it would require alot more code maintainance.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Just thought of another problem of parralelism in the PS2. Surely you need a thread to make sure that everything is all in sync....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts