Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been thinking about one thing, what if some one made a ps2 emulator and a GC emulator for XboX? THAT whould be cool. Or is it allredy possible to play ps2/GC games on a Xbox? I mean, as far as I know you're able to install Linux on a Xbox, and is it then possible to install a ps2/GC emulator for linux on the Xbox and play ps2/GC games? Could someone please try this out, or make a Ps2/GC emulator for Xbox? :D

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Hmm I think this question got asked a little while back. While it may be possible, the chances of it working are pretty minimal. Not only that but if it did work, it would go sooo slow. A geforce 3-type ard could probably punch out 15fps at best (and that's being generous) for a next-gen emulator.

Although it seems like a fun idea, the Xbox just isn't as powerful as a computer.

Oh and you double posted: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56967 Just delete your other thread ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Maybe. :) That would be pretty cool. I don't think even the Xbox could pull of Playstation one emulation at full speed anyways. :eyemove: Unless ... Someone spent a frickin' looong time making an emulator solely for the Xbox and knew it's architecture really well.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It is more powerful, but in order to emulate something at full speed you need a lot more power. For example. Minumum you should have to do Playstation would be 500 Mhz - when the PSone CPU is only 33Mhz. See how that works ;) Now the PS2 is 300Mhz and the Xbox is 700Mhz now I'm guessing you would need about a 2Ghz machine to emulate the PS2 ta full speed. The Xbox won't cut it.

That's not even mentioning the Graphics part of it.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Not only do you have the normal emulation overhead (in previous cases such as the SNES and the PSX multiply the raw speed of the system by 10 to get an emulatable speed), the PS2 and GC architectures differ vastly from that of the XBox: the PS2 while only being in theory 1/2 the speed is able to keep up in many respects wit hthe X-Box graphics wise, hell it can push far more polys than the XBox can. Razor is being excessively optimistic in his predictions IMO. I'd be surprised to see 2 or 3 FPS for an attempted PS2 emulator on the XBox.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but why do we emulate games then? can't we simply make a ps2 operating system or something like that for xbox?

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
viXor said:
but why do we emulate games then? can't we simply make a ps2 operating system or something like that for xbox?
that'd be awesome wouldnt it?

you'll never see a PS2/GC emu on Xbox. Never.
(only way would be threw Linux and getting good speeds...thats just unrealistic)

some people just want everything for free... :???:

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
XBOX would easily handle PSX even the dreamcast can handle it. PS2 would be possible, but not very likely and don't think anyone would take time to do it ( like some people said it'd have to be xbox hardware optimized ( a looot ))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, a emulator would be hard to get to work, (gota uppgrade the hardware, and stuff like that). but as I said, is'nt there another way, accept emulating... to make a operatingsystem or something like that.. whould'nt that be possible. Without uppgrading the hardware, and still get a good FPS?

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Like it has been said before teoreticaly it is possible but again teoreticaly everything is possible, so no it is not feasible(or whatever) the xbox, ps2 and gc architectures are radically different and while the xbox architecture is more a computerish than any other console the ps2 and gc have specific architectures built only for them from scratch. And only someone with alot of free time and highly developed programing skills could pull this of.

I hope this answers your question and i suggest you get over it and if you want to play every next gen console on a single machine then save for the fastest pc you can find around and wait a couple of years till ps2, xbox and gc emulation reach a good speed and compatibility status.

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
No prob that is what we are here for :thumb:

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to build a box with all those sysems inside striped down to save space and connected to a tv out dristributer? I've seen one but can't seem to find the link

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Player-X, on the Screen Savers, Yoshi made one with the PS2 and Xbox in one. It was a little bigger than the Xbox. About the size of a 15" PC Case.

>>XBOX would easily handle PSX

Hmmm, strange I don't see anyone taking on this goal. If it could easily be handled by the Xbox.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
i got a solution for that:
just buy a xbox ps2,GC and ductape.
put the xboxon botton, the ps2 in the midle and the GC on top.
use the ductape and you are done.
now you can play ps2 and GC games on your xbox :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
That's a smart idea :p I wish more companies did the same as Sony does. The new PS2 is soo small. If Xbox and Gamecube did the same with their consoles, they could all eaily fit in a PC case ;)

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
why just don't put those 3 consoles on shelfs (one for each console, but close) install linux on ps2, windows 95 on xbox, connect it all (converter or sth) to one cable and then that last one to tv and that should be all (putting all those three in one pc box ain't (my thought) good idea, :
1. that box should be bigger than 'normal one'
2. you could damage the hardware when putting it in
3. heat :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts