Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, i want to know if there is a way to make a backup of ps2 game which would work on the console without modchip. i looked info on the internet, but didn't find very much on it. I'd be grateful if You'd help.

Thanks

P.S. i noticed a playstation2 burning option in alcohol120%. is it posible to make a working backup without a modchip with it?

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Simple said:
Hi, i want to know if there is a way to make a backup of ps2 game which would work on the console without modchip. i looked info on the internet, but didn't find very much on it. I'd be grateful if You'd help.

Thanks

P.S. i noticed a playstation2 burning option in alcohol120%. is it posible to make a working backup without a modchip with it?
The only other way to use a backup would be to use HD Advace (if your ps2 has a hard drive) or Swap Magic. There is NO way to make a perfect backup of a ps2 disc, since the original retail copies have bad sectors put there intentionally which tell the ps2 to boot. When you copy a game, the bad sectors are automatically fixed during the burn, and there's NO way to make your burner burn in bad sectors. No software can make your burner do that. Anyways, careful on how much you dig into this, as it kinda gets into a gray area on the forum's warez policy.;)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Buy a every expensive disc pressing machine for tens of thousands of dollars ;)

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Reichfuher said:
Buy a every expensive disc pressing machine for tens of thousands of dollars ;)
Yeah, that'll work too. Why didn't I think of that?:p

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Simple said:
how does swap magic work? how good is it?
I use version 3.3, and it works great. I don't have any problems booting any backups at all. The only thing is if you have the older PS2 (the big one) you'll need to either put a flip top cover on it or use a slide card. If you have the slim odel PS2 (which is what I have) you can open it and tape down the door buttons, or get little plastic inserts that hold them down for you. The advantage of using Swap Magic is that mod chips tend to wear out a PS2's life quicker, where Swap Magic has no effect on the console at all.;)

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
the not able to burn a perfect ps2 disc is actually false, i have seen people make "perfect" copies but the thing being that the only 2 i know to be able to do that refused to let out a word as to how but i know it works as i have played them on my own ps2 which i have not had a mod chip put in but as to how to burn them none would say. but it is very much possible to burn anything these days with the right software it just takes the time and no how to burn such discs.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
swatgod said:
the not able to burn a perfect ps2 disc is actually false, i have seen people make "perfect" copies but the thing being that the only 2 i know to be able to do that refused to let out a word as to how but i know it works as i have played them on my own ps2 which i have not had a mod chip put in but as to how to burn them none would say. but it is very much possible to burn anything these days with the right software it just takes the time and no how to burn such discs.
I don't think so. PS2 discs (and ps1 discs as well) have to be "pressed" by a special machine in order to work on an unmodded ps2/ps1. I highly doubt these "people" you know can make a perfect (aka pressed) copy.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
well not sure how they did it but i mean i have an unmodded ps2 and the discs were working as they were supposed to so i can only assume that whatever was done it indeed was working without any trouble. i would think only issue with loading burned ps2 games is the loading area, that being where it reads the special key burned into the discs which now i believe can be successfully burned into cds now or its getting close enough to it. than again this was back a coupel of years so not sure what could have been used.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
generalplot said:
The advantage of using Swap Magic is that mod chips tend to wear out a PS2's life quicker, where Swap Magic has no effect on the console at all.;)
lol, now that's pure bulls sh1t :D
Modchip is not the one that wears PS2s life quicker, but those scratched, low quality discs :) and of course sh1tty laser that sony puts in :)

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
swatgod said:
well not sure how they did it but i mean i have an unmodded ps2 and the discs were working as they were supposed to so i can only assume that whatever was done it indeed was working without any trouble. i would think only issue with loading burned ps2 games is the loading area, that being where it reads the special key burned into the discs which now i believe can be successfully burned into cds now or its getting close enough to it. than again this was back a coupel of years so not sure what could have been used.
Face it, it's impossible. Your PS2 was either chipped and you didn't know it, or you're lying. Software can not burn bad sectors. End of story.:p
KanedA said:
lol, now that's pure bulls sh1t :D
Modchip is not the one that wears PS2s life quicker, but those scratched, low quality discs :) and of course sh1tty laser that sony puts in :)
I've heard this in alot of places. Can't say I know if it's true or not, since I've always only used Swap Magic. But another disadvantage I used to have in my old chipped PS1, was that newer games were able to detect the chip and not work correctly.;)

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
The laser will wear down quicker when it reads an scratched cd and try it's hardest to read it or the media is reflectling poorly. That's why they set a standard when making games in discs: They need the laser to last.
This is a problem that happens to every laser but it's specially noticeable in ps2 since it has a very low quality one.

Now, can somebody explain to me how could a modchip wear down a laser without taking into account bad media?

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Kazuya Mishima said:
Now, can somebody explain to me how could a modchip wear down a laser without taking into account bad media?
It's a myth... but (there's always 'but' :D) maybe not modchip itself... but the way it is soldered, so that's why if you don't know how to do it, give your ps2 and modchip to dude who has exprience with modding PS2 :)

generalplot said:
I've heard this in alot of places. Can't say I know if it's true or not, since I've always only used Swap Magic.
that's just part of swap magics marketing tactic ;)

generalplot said:
I used to have in my old chipped PS1, was that newer games were able to detect the chip and not work correctly.;)
there were ppf patches for that ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
swatgod said:

maybe i dont understand but if swap magic gameshark and others can allow backups to run without modd then it has to be possible to make a working backup of your own game to run given the right patch or maybe not that would be my ? and not knowing for sure that people would spend the money for these disc i dont think they went out and bought an expensive disc pressing machine what do u think? :bow:

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
kenelad said:
maybe i dont understand but if swap magic gameshark and others can allow backups to run without modd then it has to be possible to make a working backup of your own game to run given the right patch or maybe not that would be my ? and not knowing for sure that people would spend the money for these disc i dont think they went out and bought an expensive disc pressing machine what do u think? :bow:
These discs work because they are pressed and not burned. Hence the bad sectors can be added into an image to be pressed. If you copied a swap magic disc and tried to use the copy, it wouldn't work, because you're not using a pressed disc anymore. How can this be so hard to understand?:p

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
kenelad said:
[irony mode=on] yeah, you can always reprogram yor PS2 so that it will accept backups [irony mode=off] ;)

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
from what i was told some time back, the main thing the ps2 will do is check for a specialized key that can not really be burned so easily and once its been detected(which is during its booting stage) it than goes into loading the game at which point the disc could be a swapped disc or normal disc, it will just load anything at that point. if it relied upon bad sectors you would see that in the disc when you looked on bottom. those swap magic discs i seen are like that to make the ps2 allow you to open the cd tray to swap the discs, thats not really needed in a normal game wouldn't you think? when the ps2 boots a game its not looking to swap the disc like swap magic is, its only verifying if its a real disc. well thats how its really been explained to me, i could be wrong but it also does make a bit of sense too :/.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.