Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i am not sure if it's ok to talk about it. I think that anyone who are able to write a consoles/plugins emulator programs which benefit computer users are
great peoples.

Current consoles/plugins avaliable are a success. As for the case of PS2 emulator, i think it's almost impossible due to limation of home pc, unless the
PS emulator take advantages of 64bit cpu/os. If i'm not wrong, PS2 processing power is nearly as powerful to a supercomputer.

·
quadruped
122 Posts
actually i believe the ps2's processor is only 294MHz, not that fast. my pda has a faster processor. but you have to remember that everything in the console and all of the games are specifically made to work with eachother... everything is operating under perfectly ideal circumstances, so it can do things with a 300MHz processor that an athlon xp at over 2GHz would have to struggle with. what we need is the software on our computers to run the games, and we should be able to run them no problem. the programmers are working on it, but it's a huge job and takes lots of time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...i heard from TV news that PS2 was ban for china when it first came out because it's processing power is close to a supercomputer ?

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yea, they also said that someone in Iraq bought 60 million PS2's and the U.S. was scared they would make a Super Computer. I'm pretty sure those are all rumors :p

·
Registered
359 Posts
The ps2 has a low procesing power.
I believe it's like 400 Mhz in total.
The thing is thatt the ps2 hardware are compatible and don't require drivers to work.
That is what's making the emulation of ps2 so hard.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The reason PS2 emulation stresses processors so much despite the fact that its main processor is fairly low Megahurtz-wise is that in addition to that processor it has a variety of coprocessors and special devices designed to speed up certain processes like video format decompressing, floating point processing, sound decoding and playing, geometric transformations using matrices and vectors, etc. So viewing the speed of the core processor as an assessment of how capable a system is of being emulated on current processors is always a flawed approach. You are however correct in assuming that PS2 emulation will probably require 64-bit processors for maximum speed emulation. 32-bits simply isn't enough considering the fact that the R5900 is itself a 64-bit processor.

·
Registered
113 Posts
the frequency of a processor is pretty meaningless nowadays unless you are comparing two processors with essentially the same architecture. Thus, comparing the frequency of a PDA cpu to the PS2's tells you less than nothing.
The speed of the processor is heavily dependent on the number of operations it can accomplish per cycle, what operations it's designed to handle, and, as was mentioned, the coprocessors designed to handle other tasks at lightning speed.

The PS2 processing power is not comparable to a supercomputer. Heck, it's not even comparable to good gaming PCs anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts