Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of an opinion question, or maybe one someone with more knowledge about emulation could answer. How long do you think ts going to be before there's any PS2 emulation? I mean there wasn't any really reliable high compatibility (noncommercial) playstation emulation almost until ps2 had come out. I'm just wondering, it is going to be around the same time that playstation 3 comes out that we're going to see ps2 emulation, or will the ability to emulate the psx help all you guys out there that are programming the emulators (and I can't express how much I love you guys. everyone involved in writing emulators are my favorite people, at least my favorite people that I don't know personally, you guys are great, doing it for free too...) emulate the ps2. I'm just wondering what you all think, I'm not trying to put pressure on anyone, and I'm sorry if my question out of place, but I was just curious.

-kosamae

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it comes sooner.

Dont forget at Christmas 2002 the cheap PC from the super-market will be faster than 3000 MHZ with a geforce 4. These is an absolute realistic dream. Why should it take 5 Years for a PS2-Emulator. The current emus are so bad (relativly) because the coders do it at their freetime. Look at VGS. Its an old Emu and Creatix stopped developing it years ago. It is close to perfect.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
the emulators always get perfect right before a system starts to die and its just right this way!
i dont think you can "plan"to get an emulator instead of the console itself, if there are so many games you are anxious to play you should go and buy the systemhowever, id say with the computers most of us are using right now it will be impossible to play PS2 games on an emulator anyway...

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
Originally posted by BaSSlin3r
damit you guys you obviously dont know anything about moore's law Computers double there speed every 18 months consoles dont thats all i have to say
Yeah but PC speed can't be compared to console speed(x86 vs RISC).
And even if the computers get powerful enough to run PS2 emulators,perfect PS2 emulators won't pop up just like that,it will take time before they are able to run at least one game.

·
Registered
260 Posts
computers will always be better then consoles... comparing them ionsults computers lol but i actualy realized that PS2 might take less time since they made PSX emulator and PS2 isn't that deffrent (but i may be wrong) but i think PS2 emu will be out in a couple years

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
Ps2 and PS1 are totally different!
The only thing they have in common is the chip that allows Tthe PS2 to run PS1 games,that's all,not any console in this world is similar in its architecture to another one.

·
8+ Years
2,800 Posts
Originally posted by Abyss
FFX is a totaly deffrent kind of RPG system... no EXP no lvl.... freaky..
Well...you do actually level. But there are no EXP. Instead of EXP you get sphere items and the sphere grid which is a leveling up system is just like leveling. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
well yeah kinda... but i've never tried it :( lol i only heard from a friend that i hate cause he got it for Christmas lol (i don't really hate him) I WANTED THE GAME!!!!!!! lol i get it someday....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Carmofin
the emulators always get perfect right before a system starts to die and its just right this way!
that is right, the reason is very very simple, just think about it, if anybody write a PS2 emu program right now and post in on the internet, what could happen 2 him/her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@ryos

VGS is close to perfect. Dont forget that VGS runs well on PIII300 MHZ. And its a emulation.
ePSXe is far better than a real PSX. Now i love Games which i hate on a real PSX, because of faster loading, far better graphics, the possiblity to save everywhere.......
The only disadvantage of ePSXe ist that you cannot play all Games. But this is only for stupid guys a problem.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,194 Posts
Re: @ryos

Originally posted by Kurd
VGS is close to perfect. Dont forget that VGS runs well on PIII300 MHZ. And its a emulation.
ePSXe is far better than a real PSX. Now i love Games which i hate on a real PSX, because of faster loading, far better graphics, the possiblity to save everywhere.......
The only disadvantage of ePSXe ist that you cannot play all Games. But this is only for stupid guys a problem.

VGS is not near perfect. the weakest part of vgs is it does not support hardware acceralation.And yes, it is an emulation, but, whats the point?? Btw, Epsxe also ran well with my dead p2 300 cpu.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is no Hardware-Support, because it is nativly a MacEmu.
The real PSX has no Hardware-3D-Filtering, too.
I said it only to make clear that a PS2 emu is surely possible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hate to damp the mood guys, here's a few reasons why PS2 emu will not come out any time soon:

1) Don't want to get killed by Sony (after the episode of SNES and
PSX emu, Sony is very paranoid about another emulator)

2) Can't copy DVDs (since DVD copying software has been ruled illegal, you can't safely backup DVD games anymore), frankly, we would want to play the original PS2 DVD on a PC anyway,
:eek:

3) PS2 is much much more hardware-dependent than PS, it's instruction set is a nightmare just to program in, let alone to emulate (all of you out there that did PS2 programming as me, you know what I mean)

4) PS2 is a massively parallel architecture, to the extend of workstation equivalent, I hope PC can achieve that standard someday, but don't count on it. (Windows does not support even dual-processor nicely, :()

5) PS2 has the advantage of being hardware-specific, in how it access its video RAM, register, etc. We can't ask for that in an emulator, unless you want the emulator spec. to read like:
- MUST have P4
- MUST have Intel mainboard 8600
- MUST have GeForce 3
... etc. ... (hmm... I'm sure Intel and nVidia won't mind that ...)

6) Emulation is done at the OS level while PS2 processing at kernel level. The shear speed lose for that along is stagering. On top of that, the emulator now-a-days have to make extensive use of DirectX (shudder ...) or OpenGL (which is very hardware generic).

7) A emulation project for PS2 would be massive, requiring the dedication of a professional sw/hw team. It's kinda hard to come by such a freelance team with no prospect of revenue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.