Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
In limbo
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I think today's high-end PCs can do PS2 emulation now. I mean, we got a 2GHz Pentium/Athlon out on the horizon right? That's gotta be enough power to emulate the PS2. We already have the GF3. From what I've heard, the GF3's has the same technology used in X-Box's graphics card and the X-Box IS more powerful than the PS2 (right?):confused: . Anyways, Connectix certainly proved you don't need a really equipped rig to run/emulate PSX games (VGS only needed at least a Pentium2 and 32MB RAM and a good enough 2D video card), unless you want enhanced graphics of course, we have ePSXe but we need a [email protected] powerful processor+video card to run most games at decent and consistent speed.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
it's not just the hardware, it's also the out-of-this-world-as-yet programming skils that's needed for such an emulator. :p

...also, we'd be needing dvd-rom drives for that...and they are still prohibitively expensive. :p

...just my two centavos worth. :p

·
In limbo
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'Out of this world programming'? You mean [email protected] high-end programming. Or we could kidnap a guy who worked on the Sony PS2 development team and torture him to spill the secrets of the PS2.;)

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
As far as I know.. The P4 2 gig has a 400 mhz FSB.. Which means it has about 4 gigs of bandwidth.. The geforce 3 has about 7 gigs of bandwidth to use.. The PS2 is running on a huge 80 gig bandwidth.. Ps2 emulation could be possible, but even on a P4 2 gig, Geforce 3 system, it wouldn't run good..

The pc uses bigger caches with small bandwidth.. The Ps2 uses small caches and a very large bandwidth.. The two are technically very different from each other.. Which is why programmers are having a hard time harnessing the full power of the PS2.. They are not use to programming for such a technically different type of system..

The xbox may be more powerful, but it is technically similar to PC's.. I am guessing it would be easier making an Xbox emu than a PS2 emu..

Untill Pc memory bandwidths starts to reach or surpass the ps2, emulation of a playable ps2 emu will be hard to accomplish..

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Originally posted by fivefeet8
As far as I know.. The P4 2 gig has a 400 mhz FSB.. Which means it has about 4 gigs of bandwidth.. The geforce 3 has about 7 gigs of bandwidth to use.. The PS2 is running on a huge 80 gig bandwidth.. Ps2 emulation could be possible, but even on a P4 2 gig, Geforce 3 system, it wouldn't run good..
P4: 100MHz QDR FSB(400MHz)=3.2GB/s
GF3 Ti: 8GB/s
Radeon 8500: 8.8GB/s

Indeed, this facts make PS2 emulation almost impossible for nowadays computers. PSX is around 6 years old(am I right?) and still no perfect emulation. I agree with fivefeet8, pcs will have to change a lot until ps2 emulation is possible.

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Despite all the barriers, let's not forget that *someone* has to do it. It's good to post the problems of emulating a PS2, but let's not discourage would-be emu authors :). If you're brave enough, you may attempt the task ahead of you . . . :p.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
I'm not saying that it is not possible neither I am discouraging emu authors, but let's be realistic: it won't happen next week, next month and not even next year(unless pcs improves A LOT)

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Maybe on the Enterprise's computer :p :heh: :rolleyes: :innocent: :eyespin: :eyemove: :evil: (gawd, I :love: these smilies!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hmm strange, but i d/led a "supposed" PS2 emulator off of Mirc one day. In fact I still have the file. But as I dont own any ps2 games i never tried it out. :( It also says "Extreme Beta and will have trouble on most systems"

Requirements for bare minimum is 32+mb video card 128 mb ram and a p3 550. Anything less and it says it wont cut it.

File is 6.37 meg if anyone wants to try it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
most of those files are fakes
some are even viruses so iwould caution you against running it or distributing it to others.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Banier
hmm strange, but i d/led a "supposed" PS2 emulator off of Mirc one day. In fact I still have the file. But as I dont own any ps2 games i never tried it out. :( It also says "Extreme Beta and will have trouble on most systems"

Requirements for bare minimum is 32+mb video card 128 mb ram and a p3 550. Anything less and it says it wont cut it.

File is 6.37 meg if anyone wants to try it.
Don't even bother..... of all the PS2 "emulators" out there, most of them has been written in Visual Basic.... in other words.. FAKE!!!! It's impossible at this point to decently emulate a PS2... heck, if one exists, it would run at 0.00001 fps.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
A ps2 emu would also require a dvd drive, which is not in the requirements of the "ps2 emu" mentioned by Banier.

·
In limbo
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, so let's go down a notch: DC emulation. I know there are a few of DC emulators out already and I heard there's one that runs one commercial game. Do you think with today's hardware a decent DC emulator would crawl out of the woodwork anytime soon? Or the next couple of years?

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Dc emulation could be possible, but how do you run GD rom disks on cd rom drives? I know there are warez ways to do it but its not to be talked about..

Dc emulation is possible.. But probably only on high end comps though.. Even though the DC isn't such a powerful system, emulating it is extremely complicated.. Which would probably require a pretty high end computer.. Look how long and hard its taking just to emulate the ol' SEga Saturn..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts