Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive recently been trying out my ff9 on my ps2 to see how a ps2 can graphically change a ps1 game. but to me, a ps2 doesnt seem to have any effect on the ps1 game graphics wise. Ive also tried mk trilogy and ff8 and they all look the same to me, even thought it says on my ps2 box it can improve ps1 games oO . does anyone experience any changes in their games?

·
Ocean Soul
1,464 Posts
Yes I have, Brave fencer looks much much better. Please remember that the ps2 does not save your settings, everytime you turn on your ps2, you must tell it to do that in the bios. so boot with out cd the put the cd in after changes. Somes games there arn't any improvement, others there is a lot. If anyone has images to compair that would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
The enhancements of PS2 on old games are texture interpolation (like BI-filtering) and faster CD loading times. One of the best examples of both is Tekken 3.

Some games are incompatible with the enhancements (Silent hill can’t use either and Metal gear can’t use the CD speed up without bad glitches.)

(Remember, you have to re-enter the PSOne driver menu each time to re-do the settings)

From the main menu, press Triangle to bring up the Version info screen. This screen shows the version numbers for the various functions within the system. Select "PlayStation® Driver" and press the Triangle to bring up the driver options.

Drive Speed sets how fast the drive reads the CDROM. Fast is the upgrade, while Compatible is normal speed. Some games (such as Final Fantasy VII and VIII) experience glitches when running under the Fast option as they were programmed with carefully calculated disc access.While it doesnt make a massive difference (the load times on games that work with this are only decreased by about two or three seconds), it is a very nice option.

Texture Mapping smooths out textures in the games that it is used on. Again, not all games will work with this since some used software tricks to enhance the textures in the game when running on the existing PlayStation.

Note: if you do encounter a problem with a PlayStation game while running one or both of the enhancements, simply turn it off from the menu

·
Registered
654 Posts
They run in 32-bit color but are dithered to 16-bit color before being output to the video port. I've compared PSX games running on PS2 with emulation, and you can see in constant-colored areas the Playstation dithering the color whereas it's not dithered in emulation.

This 16-bit color dithering applies whether or not the PS2's texture interpolation enhancement is turned on.

Dan

·
Ocean Soul
1,464 Posts
Yeah, that's what I though, becaue I remember seeing the ati ads on how "32bit can be done with out a performance hit!" and that was like a year or two after the psx was released, maybe more. Funny it was just color that did the performance hit, then AA and AF, and now soft shadows. wonder what's next.

·
Registered
654 Posts
...only everything has a funny green tint to it, there are some guys in black business suits with ties and sunglasses making sure you're not using a sploit and other guys in black leather and mirrorshades offering you red and blue pills...

Dan

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just tried ff9 on the ps2 and it luks great with the smooth settings. but when i choose 'fast' there is a bit of slowdown in the game.
However ive cum across a weird problem. Upon running mk trilogy on ps2 and the fight begins, the controller pauses by itself???????

·
Ocean Soul
1,464 Posts
Yes there will be problems. They why the default is tuned off each time you turn you ps2 on. I wouldn't mess with setting when in a 2d game, because it only make the 3d textures look good. As someone said before ff games don't like fast cd beacuse it was built to work at the psones speed of disk (2x?)

·
Registered
248 Posts
clouds bro>> I have the exact same problem with MK Triology, the controller pauses and presses left (or right dont remember) all the time...it actually does it when I play it on my PSONE too..I think that a few other games do it aswell...dunno why

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.