Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PS1 emulation dev team loses their mission
I bought cd disk with emulators in 2005 year (now im 27), by the way it was on CRT display

Ps1 games was fantastic for me, I had chrono cross/trigger

But recently when I downloaded epsxe, my reaction was like 'wtf is this' - ugly graphic, quite complex to run. As for me, I remember how to tune this, but what about new users, child? They cant play this

Its beacuse PS1 emulation party works too separate and they looks on emulation point only from technical side. And 1 person can make only 1 thing like shader, graphic plugin. They cant recommend something, they cant make a lot of thing

On NES/snes/gba consoles emulators is out of box solution and its quite good

But actually emulators should not be good from technical side in different place, they should emulate FEELINGS in the end, but they (and rertoarch) makes people to fuck with settings and provide ugly picture

What feelings was when you play in original PS1?

From technical size ps1 is 'bad' - it has 1mb video memory, 2mb ram, 66mhz processor. 3d games is like magic with this hardware. And they was created specially for CRT

So, things in real world have textures, CRT analog makes some noise and it add textures to everything. And due to some special things its not much difference about resolution

Different color model, not RGB, extremly different color output, different black/white point

Emulators dont worry about it

There is some shaders like 'natural', but they designed dab, they dont provide user color settings. For example, nestopia has this

There is something wrong, cause for example this NTSC shader was designed for CRT displays and nobody cares that LCD color model is wrong. By the way, corporation cares, but they LCD's bug with bright/dark white/black point represents as feature and create ULTRA black/ ULTRA white, HDR and other shit

I fix that in my shader designed for users, so you can edit variables. Pete allows to edit only 1-3 variable, like 'shaders strength', its very bad. By the way you can launch edited shader just with pause of emulator then run

Comparison with my/original/pete's result

Actually I wanna fix something in emulator and provide it better ergonomy, but im not a coder, if somebody is a coder and wanna help, you can write me there of if you like email [email protected]

bye)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Not a Registered User
1,304 Posts
You're making it as if configuring PS1 emulator required a college degree when it does actually work out a box if you want the simplest option available.
Besides what "children" play PS1 games these days? it's mostly us old nostalgia geezers, kids are mostly interested in new games or just popular games Fortnite, Minecraft etc.
Plus kids aren't as dumb as you make them and often have parents/siblings who will set this up for them, people don't throw PCs at them and just say figure this shit out.

Lastly the "original" look as I mentioned in another thread is very biased and unachievable on LCDs given different panels plus kids wouldn't even know the differences these days. |
For that purpose obviously shaders exist to at least attempt to get close to that original look as you call it.

So I wouldn't say the devs lost their "mission" just had different prioritises given they had to program a far more difficult emulator than that for NES.

PS.
PS1 CPU runs at 33mhz not 66mhz, FYI.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're making it as if configuring PS1 emulator required a college degree
No, i say that there is no solution to simply get natural view
Just think - games graphics is about 'real' life. In old times CRT adds some realistic view, in our time its possible using shader. PC and LCD actually gives bigger space of art (bigger than needed), but people cant use it well.

it's mostly us old nostalgia geezers, kids are mostly interested in new games or just popular games Fortnite, Minecraft etc.
No, as for me, I dont have any nostalgia. I still play nes cause it has great music processor and dynamic. Modern games as for me is fake, cause they need to works with something big like RTX, but people dont like it. Its capitalism and it needs growth of everything, phones could have 12gb of memory, 100 megapixels. It just dont have any sense... All people need now its just money and games developers cant make good simple game, they creates bloatwared game/software/whatever

So, old games are art, when people have more time, 'modern' games are AAAAAAAA graphic RTX nvidia intel core i9 etc. Its possible to create good games now, but I dont know, nodoby interested it from corporation - nvidia, sony just gives more sensors on gamepad and bigger techno

·
Not a Registered User
1,304 Posts
No, i say that there is no solution to simply get natural view
Just think - games graphics is about 'real' life. In old times CRT adds some realistic view, in our time its possible using shader. PC and LCD actually gives bigger space of art (bigger than needed), but people cant use it well.

No, as for me, I dont have any nostalgia. I still play nes cause it has great music processor and dynamic. Modern games as for me is fake, cause they need to works with something big like RTX, but people dont like it. Its capitalism and it needs growth of everything, phones could have 12gb of memory, 100 megapixels. It just dont have any sense... All people need now its just money and games developers cant make good simple game, they creates bloatwared game/software/whatever

So, old games are art, when people have more time, 'modern' games are AAAAAAAA graphic RTX nvidia intel core i9 etc. Its possible to create good games now, but I dont know, nodoby interested it from corporation - nvidia, sony just gives more sensors on gamepad and bigger techno
The thing is that right there is the old man talking in you, games were always just that pretty graphics and nothing else, problem is modern games require far more time and effort, old games at thier time were the same AAA games made by corporations to the best of ability of the hardware at the time that required lot's of time and effort.
It's just that with progres and improvement that time and effort increased vaslty.

It'snot that people don't want make games like in the old days otherwise we wouldn't have INDIE games or fan projects, but even the simple of 2D sprites games required a dedicated and well funded team.
Yes sadly there is little demand for certain types of games these days mainly due to money as in everything the major factor is profit, but that always was the case, even back in the day, the only that ever truly matters is to make a product that sells, if Mario didn't sell we wouldn't have a franchise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
games were always just that pretty graphics and nothing else
Haha

What about story? From technical side - in older days people wrote books to say stories. With technologies people can send people to stories, and its great! Game creators can share their feeling better and interpret their live, events to go game

But if there is no life and you just see on game from technical side - yeah, its just set of some code and psylogical trick to make more money, nothing else

·
Not a Registered User
1,304 Posts
Haha

What about story? From technical side - in older days people wrote books to say stories. With technologies people can send people to stories, and its great! Game creators can share their feeling better and interpret their live, events to go game

But if there is no life and you just see on game from technical side - yeah, its just set of some code and psylogical trick to make more money, nothing else
Tell me when you bought your first game why did you buy it? Like Mario what is the first thing that catches interest? It's dem prutty colurs.
When I wanted my parents to buy me Spyro when I was little was I interes in the tale of the epic purple dragon saving his kind? Nope I just wanted to play the purple dragon.

And of course there are plenty of games without a story purely driven by gameplay and visuals, and vice versa games purely story driven with little to nothing gameplay wise.

But regardless of game type you always have to show something pretty and shiny for it to catch interested, it's why pure text based games are dead now days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D there is recomendation, people can talk with people and recommend good game or movie

I dont see on movies from graphic effect side. What about books, they mostly even dont have a picture!

And its not only graphic, its feelings. What about music?))
I dont think that people who play in GTA v5 have more fun than gta v3

So, techno side is not so important

·
Not a Registered User
1,304 Posts
:D there is recomendation, people can talk with people and recommend good game or movie

I dont see on movies from graphic effect side. What about books, they mostly even dont have a picture!

And its not only graphic, its feelings. What about music?))
I dont think that people who play in GTA v5 have more fun than gta v3

So, techno side is not so important
And yet there are far more people who play GTA5 than GTA3 thou in my opinion GTA VC is the superior game even most of my friends say GTA SA is the best.
Music is part of the visual aspect of games thou it is relegated to the background unless the game itself is about music, and you can't compare books or movies to games as those are non interactive medias, they do not create the same feelings as you cal it and just like purely story driven games or pure text based games they're different.

Let me tell ya how little story matters often times, as you can see im from Poland a non English speaking country in which back in the day most if not all games for use were in English.

As a kid I didn't understand a single word of English and despite that with the help of friends, guides i've beaten and enjoyed many games most of the time not knowing what he game was even about, games often driven by story like JRPGs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dint know English even alphabet until 10 years, but then i started Pokemon on russian, then it glitched, and I need to use english. Just translated word by word without internet with Сократ Персональный and now I can use english)

But education system of my country studied english 11 years and nobody knows it.

I am so glad that education system is gone )))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts