Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,098 Posts
Lol...I don't know where to stick my ps1 controller on my laptop... The slots are to small :eyemove:
Sorry... I don't know where this thread goes...:dead:
Errr.....That is perfectly normal. The PS1 controller is made to be plugged with.....a PS1. If you want to play with your PS1 gamepad on a PC, you'll need a PS1 to usb converter. You'll find them for good prices here for example.

Edit: Noja beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
Just be careful which one you get. These things are usually made as cheap as possible, and as such are extremely low quality. I have a very similar version of this (only difference I can tell is that mine is green) and the PSX plug died a very long time ago, while the N64 plug works fine.

I'm currently using an Elecom adapter that I bought in an electronics store in Japan back in 2005 and I'm still using it to this day with no problems. It doesn't support rumble though, AFAIK very few of them do.

·
4,098 Posts
I'm currently using an Elecom adapter that I bought in an electronics store in Japan back in 2005 and I'm still using it to this day with no problems. It doesn't support rumble though, AFAIK very few of them do.
In fact, I think one of the best solutions would be to buy a PC gamepad like the XBOX360 controller (Expensive though...) or the thrustmaster dual trigger (usable on ps2 and PC...). Rumble is at least assured for PC games....

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
In fact, I think one of the best solutions would be to buy a PC gamepad like the XBOX360 controller (Expensive though...) or the thrustmaster dual trigger (usable on ps2 and PC...). Rumble is at least assured for PC games....
Yeah, I was actually going to recommend the 360 controller. The two controllers I use on my computer are a PSOne controller to the Elecom adapter, and the 360 controller.

Personally, I would not recommend the Thrustmaster. It's ugly as sin, I wouldn't use the extra functionality at all (I have enough PS controllers and the button config save is worthless), and all the driver config functions are no better than what you get with XBCD. And the biggest reason of all is that I've held the Thrustmaster, and I found it very uncomfortable and didn't like the way the buttons felt. Obviously, those are all opinions, so you have to see if any of those apply to you.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Sorry to say this but i never had a problem with a game with my controller and the features i used them a lot especially on the PC (in DMC 3 for example i didnt need the release of a patch for the controls i simply reconfigured using the gamepad maping without problems, also there some PC games that dont allow change of certain keys used, another time when the feature saved me, also triggers where verry useful in grid and dirt), support is better then the Xbox i've seen how many problems people had with those especially on older games. Maybe is cause i got used to it dont know but neither me or 3 friends of mine find it uncomfortable + the rubber grip which really counts :p.

And this those not look ugly to me :p :

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
If you don't mind doing a bit of DIY, then you can easily make a PSX to PX converter at home. Detailed instructions given here:

Connect a PSX pad to PC

P.S. You will have to find alternate download locations for the driver though, since the link in the guide is dead. But that isn't difficult to do if you know something called Google. I'd have made this myself, but the problem is that my hands are waaay to clumsy to be able to solder small connections together without shorting the entire thing D:

·
4,098 Posts
Personally, I would not recommend the Thrustmaster. It's ugly as sin, I wouldn't use the extra functionality at all (I have enough PS controllers and the button config save is worthless), and all the driver config functions are no better than what you get with XBCD. And the biggest reason of all is that I've held the Thrustmaster, and I found it very uncomfortable and didn't like the way the buttons felt. Obviously, those are all opinions, so you have to see if any of those apply to you.
Errr....It really depends of your taste. I find my wireless dual trigger globally nice. The feeling is however less natural than the one you have with a 360 controller indeed. But it's also a habit question.

The 360 controller is great but I prefered the thrustmaster for two reasons:
- The wireless version of the 360 controller made my purse run away. 60$ the gamepad? And the english queen is black?
-The D-pad of the 360 is somewhat uncomfortable and is fixed on a axis without any "blockings". With a long usage, I feared this axis would break one day.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
Errr....It really depends of your taste. I find my wireless dual trigger globally nice. The feeling is however less natural than the one you have with a 360 controller indeed. But it's also a habit question.

The 360 controller is great but I prefered the thrustmaster for two reasons:
- The wireless version of the 360 controller made my purse run away. 60$ the gamepad? And the english queen is black?
-The D-pad of the 360 is somewhat uncomfortable and is fixed on a axis without any "blockings". With a long usage, I feared this axis would break one day.
1. Irrelevant. On Amazon, a wired controller is 28.99 and the Thrustmaster is 26. so they are pretty much the same price. I don't know why you'd get the wireless controller to use with a PC...you have to buy the adapter, the controller is heavy, and you either have to buy batteries or the play 'n charge kit.

2. I play a lot of SNES emulation and the 360's dpad has done fine for me, although I don't like the location too much. That's the main reason I play with my PSone controller most of the time.

But yeah, it really depends ultimately on personal taste more than anything. I can't stand holding finned rubber grips, and strike105x obviously does.

·
4,098 Posts
1. Irrelevant. On Amazon, a wired controller is 28.99 and the Thrustmaster is 26. so they are pretty much the same price. I don't know why you'd get the wireless controller to use with a PC...you have to buy the adapter, the controller is heavy, and you either have to buy batteries or the play 'n charge kit.
1.As you don't like rubber grips, I don't appreciate wires. I wanted a wireless version for my gamepad so this is why I preferred the thrustmaster far less expensive than the 360 controller. I bought mine for 30$ on ebay. The batteries was in the package, the charge kit and the adapter too. For the weight, I really never felt it.

2.Yes, the location of the D-pad didn't please me so much also. And this is because my old thrusmaster dual power had about the same D-pad config (axis with no blockings). The axis finished to twist after too much combat games like Street Fighter...

But, again, tastes questions as you said.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
wireless controller suck ass.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
Wireless controllers are great when you're 10 or 20 feet away from your TV. Before my 360 was stolen I had a full compliment of wireless controllers. I don't really like them when I'm sitting less than 5 feet from my PC though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.