Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i thought i set this up right, I was able to get a connection with a local proxy, tested it. the ip test picks it up but it still shows my local/real ip adress along with the proxy. oO unless im doing something wrong how do i get it to only show the proxy address like it should

not sure if i can post the site where i got the proxy list.. theirs a ip test on it that lets you know if the server is working

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah the list says its Annonymous

edit
from the list i have the other options are either elite proxy or elite + , alot of the elite ones are on a 3128 port which usualy doesnt connect
edit 2
what does 'elite' proxy mean anyway?

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
No idea, never heard of anyone calling a proxy elite. I tend to think it's a name only that site uses, and either indicates one that's really good or one that you have to sign up/pay to use.
Most proxy list sites have 3 categories: anonymous, transparent, semi-transparent.

Your use of the term "local" proxy in your first post is confusing. A "local" is a piece of software (or sometimes hardware) that sits on your end, between you and the internet. The proxy you seem to be describing however is a remote proxy. It also sounds as though you might be on a LAN or otherwise behind a router? If so, that could be causing your problem. If so, you'll have to get help from someone else with it, I don't know jack about routers.
Assuming you're not behind a router: To use a proxy in FF, go tools->options->general->connection settings Check the "manual settings" box and put the IP address and port number under the http settings (leave the other fields blank unless you know for certain that the proxy can handle ssl, ftp, or whatever in addition to http).
Also, even anonymous proxies aren't always 100% anonymous. There are several ways to detect an IP. Any anonymous proxy will block the basic method, but not all of them block the 2 javascript methods, and many fail to block the java method (I think there's also a method with flash and/or shockwave). About the only thing you can do is keep trying different ones, or try using a different list of proxies.

not sure if i can post the site where i got the proxy list..
Does the site contain warez/roms/other pirated stuff or links to warez/roms/other pirated stuff sites? If so, don't post it on the forum. If it only has proxy stuff, then you can post it.
Give me the link to the list and test page (PM it to me if you can't post in on the board), and I'll take a look at it.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cypherswipe said:
Does the site contain warez/roms/other pirated stuff or links to warez/roms/other pirated stuff sites? If so, don't post it on the forum. If it only has proxy stuff, then you can post it.
Give me the link to the list and test page (PM it to me if you can't post in on the board), and I'll take a look at it.
theirs no warez on either site i use, as far as i seen its just a big list of proxies and a test page. hears the main one iv been using. the links just include other sites with public proxy lists and a tester.

http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/http_proxy_servers

and the other

http://www.samair.ru/proxy/

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Anonymity types
Anonymous - HTTP Proxy server does not send HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR variable to host, this improves privacy since your IP address cannot be logged.
High anonymity (elite proxy) - HTTP Servers of this type do not send HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, HTTP_VIA and HTTP_PROXY_CONNECTION variables. Host doesn't even know you are using proxy server an of course it doesn't know your IP address.
The anonymous ones only block one type of variable, the elite ones block 3.
Also, if your real IP showed when you used the test page on that stayinvisible site, it's likely due to the java applet. Unless you use firewalls and such and have them configured just right, sites can always get your real info through java.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cypherswipe said:
The anonymous ones only block one type of variable, the elite ones block 3.
Also, if your real IP showed when you used the test page on that stayinvisible site, it's likely due to the java applet. Unless you use firewalls and such and have them configured just right, sites can always get your real info through java.
yeah i read that on the stay invisible site, i had a hard time following the walkthrough due to the fact i use firefox. / Mcafee personal firewall. what im trying to look for is another good program to test if my proxies are working and im geting a connection.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Testing if you're getting a connection is easy. If you have the proxy set in FF, and you can get webpages in it, you're getting a connection. If FF can't connect to the proxy, then you won't be able to get webpages unless you switch back to a direct connection.

There are a number of freeware proxy switching programs you can download, most of them include a testing function. Proxomitron also has the ability to use and to test proxies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts