Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
intro --

Before we get started, I want to ping your attention spans at this little bit of noise. What if you, sir, happened to be somewhat of a god? What would it feel like? What could you do? To be put simply, quite a lot of things. Well, lets find out just what kind of game this is.

Prototype is a game with quite a large history. See, Activision has been on the Spiderman bandwagon for quite a while now. all the way back to the first introduction so they've had quite a few attempts at creating an amazing view of Manhattan. In many ways, they've been trial-and-erroring a good deal to make their open-world vision possible.

Am I saying Web of Shadows is similar to Prototype? Well,... yes I am.
"How so, Goss?"
Well.... I'm sorry, I don't think we've been properly introduced.
"Oh I'm just a randomly generated metaphor from your brain to help query this format."
Well, that's just fine by me. Carry on.
"So how is this possible, Mr. Gossamer?"
Well, unnamed voice. I'll tell you; First of all, many of the missions are similar. Note that there aren't as many things going on in-game in WOS as there is in Prototype but many of them involve you going about and destroying "hives" of symbiote egg-sacked... things; fighting monsters and flying around the place like you're late for a business meeting. You do the same in Prototype but with huge buildings and a tank. Also... Manhattan looks surprisingly similar.

I might research that a little better, I'd actually like to get screenshots of the same locations in each game to see if they both just use the same Manhattan.

Does this mean Prototype and WOS are both relevant rip-offs of eachother?
Well... yeah, but.. is that a bad thing?
No, they both rule!

--storyline

You sir, are Alex Mercer. You have awoken to the sound of people hating you and a terrible urge to just get the **** out of wherever you happen to be. Before you know it, you feel odd; but a good kind of odd. You have the ability to survive bullets and you can jump very... very high, lift cars and all that business. For sustenance you can devour people like an odd reverse mitosis by shoving them into your body and merging with them thereby gaining access to their appearance and their memories.

Why is all of this happening? Well, an evil corporation...

WAIT, STOP STOP STOP! An evil corporation?! Like these!?

Well, I didn't say it was very.... big in the originality department. YES, this is a vengeance story(like every video game... almost ever). Anyway, an evil corporation; the evil...er...est has been producing a very bad virus and you just happen to be one of the 1% out of the 99.999999999999999999% that can survive it; you and some teenage psychopath that attempts to destroy the city via controlling the virus.

Basically this is a "who am I?" kind of game, and you must fill in the question by opening up the story which is kind of interesting. It's sort of interesting.

"BY GOD WHO MADE ME THIS WAY!??"
"I'LL KILL WHOEVER DID!!"
"I'M MAD GODDAMNIT, I THINK I'LL GO DESTROY THE GOVERNMENT!!"

That's how it works out.

--gameplay

Prototype is fun, so much fun that no matter how bad your day at work was; it will ammend it with full-on fury. Here's where this game lacks::

-storyline
-graphics
-originality
-design

-....BUT NOT FUN!! THIS GAME IS A BLAST!!

Why is it fun? Imagine being Hancock from that crappy Will Smith movie and being able to do practically anything you want. My god, you can push someone; they'll ask you just WTF you think you're doing being all pushy. Then you pick them up and toss them into oblivion. It's GREAT!

Either I'm easily pleased by violence or I just like people getting what's theirs.

And OOOOHHH the atmosphere. Never before have I encountered a game with such atmosphere. When the infected come crawling, everything goes sepia and ghostly. When you cause chaos, the city goes ballistic. People run and scream and cower and cars burn forever with gorgeous smoke and flame. This game does an amazing job at "pandemonium".

Really, 99% of this game feels like all hell is breaking loose. It feels like the apocalypse is occurring and you're the main ordinance.

--graphics

No, it an't here. This isn't your Crysis or Fallout 3 but it's understood. The game was meant to run on basic hardware which in some regards is a good thing.

Lets put it this way, my 8600gts can max this game out.

There are a few good things; the character model is outstanding, as well as the transformations but for the most part; that's a design issue and not a graphical one. The effects are also very nice; there are amazing blurring effects and the explosions, smoke, gunfire and things of that nature are all done very well.

Now there's one other thing. The animations in this game are amazing. Everything is fluid and brilliant. When you are going to fast and turn around; your feet skid the asphalt and burn up the road. When you drop from 200ft in the air to ground zero; it causes a huge shockwave effect that blasts up the earth and everything around you.

It feels amazing. You feel amazing.
--presentation

Very nice, actually. The game does a good job at telling the story and being somewhat unique. Everything is very polished and nothing feels undone. The cutscenes are very movie-quality as well as the voice acting and dialogue. It's a good thing.

--final words

Oh, I'm sorry I was just tossing a car into an airplane at 300ft up in the air while dropping into an outcrop of tanks covered in infected citizens while ten thousand people run around screaming for their lives to end quickly with four wild tentacles coming out of the earth all the while helicopters and police-squads arm themselves for what they believe to be the end of time while you stand there ready and waiting for the big bang to re-occur by your hands.

Go buy it.
8.5/10 for me, fellows. :p

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Interesting.

What is a picture in your Signature? :p

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I know but can you tell me the name of a game, please ? I am curious.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Is something wrong with my question, lagunareturns ? I just don't know about his signature. By the way, you can't tell Gossamer what to do. It is his decision to make, ok ? Stop trying to control his life, man.

EDIT: I do not talk about Prototype, mind you.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
More of a preview than a review but anyways....so Spiderman meets Assasin's Creed meet's Superman huh?.....now the critical question....are there timed missions?

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More of a preview than a review but anyways....so Spiderman meets Assasin's Creed meet's Superman huh?.....now the critical question....are there timed missions?
Yes, but only a few. Some situations require a time-limit because of::

-a bomb
-you're catching up with something and if you stand still.... you loose
-the fact that if you don't kill this "thing" it will do worse "things" to other "things".

but there aren't many of them.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Ah great so it's got Protection missions as well...guess I will pass on it then.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
@Gossamer,

Care to tell me, please ? :)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Rockman only 4 games have been mentioned... Protoype (you know....like...the very game this entire thread is about as the title of the thread would suggest...and the one that Gossamer's sig comes from) ,Spiderman - Web of Shadows....(the game that's similar to Prototype), and the Crysis and Fallout 3 (to point out this game is nothing like that).

Now I would like $10 for doing the work that your brain should have done.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I know but can you tell me the name of a game, please ? I am curious.
Did you read the first post?

"You sir, are Alex Mercer. You have awoken to the sound of people hating you and a terrible urge to just get the **** out of wherever you happen to be. Before you know it, you feel odd; but a good kind of odd. You have the ability to survive bullets and you can jump very... very high, lift cars and all that business. For sustenance you can devour people like an odd reverse mitosis by shoving them into your body and merging with them thereby gaining access to their appearance and their memories.

Why is all of this happening? Well, an evil corporation...

WAIT, STOP STOP STOP! An evil corporation?! Like these!?"

Now who do you think Alex is?

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Apollo Justice Quote Time

Gavin: "Its bad form to poke fun at the hard of hearing."

Justice:"*Hard of hearing or hard of understanding?*"

But seriously, you make me look like a Genius forte.

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
I thought the game was ok. Im not far, just started playing but its basically Hulk Ultimate Destruction with a new skin for the hulk. Is not bad but is nothing especial. And they still havent got the damn physics right. I hate it when you pick up vehicles on this types of games. Cars, trucks and especially tanks feel like cardboard boxes. You dont really feel powerfull, everything else just feels fake and weak. And why when you punch a car the drivers dont get out screaming for their lives? They just sit there looking straight like mannequins =\

And the city is lifeless. You can kill 20 civilians and they forget about it after 15 seconds and everyone just walk around like nothing happen. You cut someone in half and their torso is on the road and people just walk around it. I hate that about this types of games. Not just prototype but this type of open ended games.

Hand to Hand combat is fun but gunplay is weak and crappy. Animations are great and i like Alex. He is a pretty cool character. Story is interesting and you have plenty of moves and abilities. Most of your powers pack a punch like the devastators. Killing civilians and traveling the city gliding, jumping and running at super high speed is awesome too. Parkour is automatic and fun.

So far is between a 6.5 and a 7 for me. I hope the game gets better with more gameplay time.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Agree entirely with that review noja ^^

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I thought the game was ok. Im not far, just started playing but its basically Hulk Ultimate Destruction with a new skin for the hulk. Is not bad but is nothing especial. And they still havent got the damn physics right. I hate it when you pick up vehicles on this types of games. Cars, trucks and especially tanks feel like cardboard boxes. You dont really feel powerfull, everything else just feels fake and weak. And why when you punch a car the drivers dont get out screaming for their lives? They just sit there looking straight like mannequins =\

And the city is lifeless. You can kill 20 civilians and they forget about it after 15 seconds and everyone just walk around like nothing happen. You cut someone in half and their torso is on the road and people just walk around it. I hate that about this types of games. Not just prototype but this type of open ended games.

Hand to Hand combat is fun but gunplay is weak and crappy. Animations are great and i like Alex. He is a pretty cool character. Story is interesting and you have plenty of moves and abilities. Most of your powers pack a punch like the devastators. Killing civilians and traveling the city gliding, jumping and running at super high speed is awesome too. Parkour is automatic and fun.

So far is between a 6.5 and a 7 for me. I hope the game gets better with more gameplay time.
Kind of my opinion as well but i'd like to add something, the drivers look like there cardboard cut outs :lol:.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly, I didn't notice the cars had drivers until I finished the game... then I saw them. I thought the cars just had their windows tinted to shade out the drivers.

However though; I don't agree that if you stay in one spot people will just stop caring. Normally; if I so much as take one of my weapons out, everyone freaks out and the pandemonium doesn't stop until you leave the area and come back; which ties into my only problem with the game; the respawn time. The fact that if you got a block down the road and came back to the location you were previously; everything was fine, no destruction, no people running around like scared chickens.

Also, the ability to jack a car would've been more of a fun joyride pleasure than an actual gameplay assistance; I would've enjoyed actually driving a car around into other cars then hopping out and doing it over again but worse.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well anyway its a entertaining game ^^ and until now i like the story, the gameplay is good & challenging, the main character concept is also kick @$$, and i'd hit Elizabeth Greene in the derier.

Bad thing: seems to have a couple of bugs also my gamepad would have to normally work but i can't set it as default.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.