Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
By "internet browser that I made", did you write a browser or did you form one from the common IE controls?

In the case of the prior, you'd have to look up making the connection to a proxy server and what information to relay to it. In the case of the latter, it may just be tied to the IE internet setup. You can set up a proxy under the connections tab there.

It's been a long time since I used IE, so I think that it shows the proxy address in the status bar when transferring data. Add one into your VB makeshift browser and that should let you know if it's working (or alternatively, just point that browser to whatismyip.com or google.com. The prior will give you the proxy IP if it's working, the latter will reroute you to the appropriate region specific page)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I believe that it's tied into the common IE settings, it's been awhile since I last touched VB (not since I first started using .NET, and that was awhile ago) and even longer since I stuck common IE controls onto a form and called it a browser*.

Anyway, here is a quick FAQ pulled off Google regarding setting up a proxy. Hope it works out for you.

*Semi-funny story: I was working in an office where the network admin had prohibited people from accessing IE on the stations. Yet what he hadn't accounted for was the fact that VB6 was inexplicably installed on them (perhaps because it was the dev used for some in-house software, and he wanted to be able to modify said software from any place in the building whenever necessary).

So I put 1 and 1 together and got 2: stuck some IE controls on a form, exported to a .exe, and sure enough it worked bypassing the lockout. Lots of internet browsing during work hours ensued.

·
Aim 4 the stars...
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O really..thanks a lot... i also want to know if it is possible to make an internet browser in VB that by default uses a proxy that cannot be changed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Never tried such a thing using IE Control (as I don´t like it ;)), if you are
going to write compatible communication using proxies or connecting
through firewalls and so on you should better use winsock and communicate
directly. You could receive via Winsock the page/data you need and then
load this with your IE Control this would give you most possible access
to lock or change anything with the communication.
But this would be the way I would solve it as VB6 developer, no idea if there
are other options using .NET as I only used C# from .NET and there only
did remoting classes no direct controlled communication ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.