Well as my specs says i have a Motherboard Gigabyte Triton K7VT600
socket A

given now that new emulators (i.e. PCSX2) and pc games
requires sse2

does somebody know if there are processors Socket A that supports SSE2

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just checked the socket A chips at newegg, and it seems that none of them has SSE2 support. All the Athlon 64s seem to have it though.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i read that amd made the semprons socket A because in countries like dominican republic and other latin america countries
still athlons and durons are selling a lot
and athlon 64 are still not selling like they should

·
Registered
608 Posts
The version I heard that AMD didn't want their budget line of processors to have the same name as their mainstream line aka the Athlon 64. So they took the original Athlons, halved the L2 cache, and viola, Semprons.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
The Socket A Semprons are just Athlon XP T-bred/Bartons, which only have SSE. No Socket A CPU has SSE2, and that won't change, given the fact that Socket A is pretty much dead; there won't be any new core CPUs for it.

Socket 754 Semprons support it, being based on the Athlon 64 (all revisions). Half the L2 Cache (256KB as opposed to 512KB), no 64-bit register extensions, and you've got a S754 Sempron.. despite these changes, they're actually quite good performers.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Sempron have the same L2 cache-256kb as the Athlon XP, since they ARE athlon xp, with diferent clock, and all with 333 FSB.
Ive heard this half-cache of AXP somewhere too.....

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Half the L2 cache only on the Socket 754 parts.. socket A parts are rebranded AXPs, as I said in my post.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Oh, now i see cooliscool . Just thought i could make it more clear....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts