Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the game works fine... until I face Larsen (or whatever that dude in red shirt and blue pants is called) at the end of Tomb of Qualopec (4th level). After I kill him, there's supposed to be a sequence showing Lara and Larsen talk. However, it doesn't show. After he falls the game shows the loading screen and then the screen goes black and nothing else happens.

Anyone know what's wrong?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's my specs and settings in case it's needed:

AMD XP2200+ 1.8GHz
MSI GeForce4 MX440
512 MB DDR RAM
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: off
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: on
- Game fixes: off [00000400]

I've also tried Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.75, but the result was the same.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
you dont have to double post, you can always use the edit button ;)

anywho, definitely use OGL1.75, that suits your gfx card better. are you playing off CD or ISO?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay, I've changed to OGL1.75. However, it doesn't help in this situation. The game still won't get past that part.

I play through ISO normally, but I've also tried to run the game through Daemon just for the sake of trying. Had the same result then too. Haven't tried with the actual CD yet though.

Edit:

I don't see Tomb Raider listed in the compability list by OddbOd (while all the sequels are listed..). Is this because nobody knows whether Tomb Raider works in ePSXe? It works fine for me up to the point where I defeat Larsen.

Surely someone must have got it to work and played through the game?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thought.. if anyone here has got the game, can you please please play it and see if you can get past the sequence with Larsen at the end of the 4th level? And if you got through, tell me all your plugins, settings and computer specs and what not. Gah I really want to play this game again :(

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Try toggling spu irq hack option. Also try using the latest released peops sound plugin or "no sound" plugin. You can also try other emus like psxeven or pcsx. Several people faced this problem after a new level loads, I dont remember the proper solution but must be one of them.

Edit:I just remembered that may be F4 trick worked for this game. Try pressing f4 before hanging part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Prafull said:
Try toggling spu irq hack option. Also try using the latest released peops sound plugin or "no sound" plugin. You can also try other emus like psxeven or pcsx. Several people faced this problem after a new level loads, I dont remember the proper solution but must be one of them.

Edit:I just remembered that may be F4 trick worked for this game. Try pressing f4 before hanging part.
* Tried toggling SPU IRQ hack option. Didn't help.
* Tried using latest peops sound plugin. Didn't help.
* Tried using "no sound" plugin. Didn't help.
* Tried pressing F4 before the hang part, all that happened was that the game screen turned black and it said "No Controller" as if I had just unplugged the game pad.
* F7 did nothing at all.

I also downloaded both PCSX and PSXeven and tried the game there. However, there's a slight problem with Tomb Raider.. In ePSXe, to be able to get past the menu (ie, to start/load a game or go into Lara's house) you need to use the internal cheat function (Cheat menu in 1.5.2 and -loadcheat command line argument in 1.6.0) with a special Tomb Raider cht file. I haven't found a way to do this in either PCSX or PSXeven, so of course, I can't even get past the menu in those emulators. So only ePSXe will actually play the game.

Anything else? This is getting frustrating.. I'm wondering whether this whole problem can have something to do with the fact that when I first started playing, I played the game through until the save point at the end of the 4th level (right before meeting Larsen), where I saved and stopped playing. I had no problems up to that point. When I later loaded the save and defeated Larsen the problems started. So I'm thinking of starting over on the 4th level, alternatively the whole game, and just play through the 4th level without interruption. Also considering trying to only use save states instead of real saves.. I dunno, I'm just desperate here :)

Edit: Didn't work :( Arrghh

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Seems you are desparate and I like helping desparate people.

Download cep, Run epsxe, run cep,select epsxe version in process option, Go to cep cheat option put this code

D01FFF90 0001
801FFF90 0006

Click on "on".

Run the game. It will start from level 6. I hope it loads correctly.If it does, you can also try loading level 5 by replacing 06 with 05 at the end of the code.I am not sure if level 5 will work though.

I know you wont like the solution but thats the best possible trick IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I don't seem to have much of an option do I? It just bugs me that my process (amount of medipacks and ammo) won't be carried over, but I guess I'll survive it's my only chance of getting past that hanging part. Unless someone else has some magical solution.

Edit: Doesn't seem to work. I do as you posted with cep, but when I run the game it shows the Core logo, the intro and then takes me to the menu like normal. Is this what it's supposed to do? Or is it supposed to load directly into the 6th level, skipping the Core logo, intro and menu?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What the heck is Tomb Raider version 1.1? And version 1.0 for that matter? Never heard of that before..

Edit: In either case I seem to have 1.0 since that level skip cheat didn't work.

Oh and the "start certain level" cheat worked. Could start either 5th or 6th level no problem. Thing is, I get only the pistols and compass, and I don't see any cheats for setting the exact amount of medipacks/ammos, only ones for infinite medipacks and ammo which I don't want to use..

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Hmm,

Did you tried using infinite ammo code,then starting a level then turning the code off and then using the ammo ? I think that will bring down the number of ammo (same for medi pack).

Anyway, glad to know you got to the next level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah well it's not very playable without ammo, weapons or medipacks :p Well at least extremely hard lol.

I'll try using the infinite cheats and then turn them off, even though it's not a solution I like too much I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay the problem is, the infinite ammos will only be infinite after picking up at least one ammo of that kind. And they don't give me the weapons I had (ie Shotgun). There's no cheats for large medipacks (only saw small ones) and the only cheat regarding weapons gives me all of them.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm giving up on playing Tomb Raider 1 on an emulator. Not worth the hassle :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts