Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Pete's drivers that has smooth filtering or whatever it is called doesnt seem to work fine for me , as after installing I got a slowdown whenever i play a game that involves anti aliasing .
I tried setting it back to standard w/o spirtes and i still get the slowdown , ive tried reinstalling ePSXe and using fresh drivers but the problem i get still . I have never got this problem before unzipping and using the new drivers ......

Something to do with registry ?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Originally posted by Hanamichi
The new Pete's drivers that has smooth filtering or whatever it is called doesnt seem to work fine for me , as after installing I got a slowdown whenever i play a game that involves anti aliasing .
I tried setting it back to standard w/o spirtes and i still get the slowdown , ive tried reinstalling ePSXe and using fresh drivers but the problem i get still . I have never got this problem before unzipping and using the new drivers ......

Something to do with registry ?
I haven't used Pete's plugins recently :p but I saw some screens of the "new filtering mode" and I do have to say, it does look close to some sort of anti aliasing mode, which can be slow on systems that don't properly support such things. This is just a guess, though.

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well , how do I " remove " or should i say " undo " it ? ever since i installed the new drivers i got this slowdown and still have it now , and cant fix it even if i reinstall epsxe or use my old drivers with the same old settings .....

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I don't notice any speed decrease using petes new filtering mode.. It is like using hardware anti aliasing but it's being done through software so it should be such of a performance hit.. I think the new filtering mode is similar to 2xFSAA.. Combined with 4xFSAA and enabling the new filtering mode really smooths out 2d stuff.. 4x + 2x = 6xFSAA? If you don't have a high end system, then turn off your hardware FSAA and just use petes new filtering mode.. It should be less of a performance hit than using your video cards FSAA.. Don't use both the FSAA of your video card and petes filtering mode if you experience slowdown.. I don't experience any slowdown whatsoever with the new filtering mode and 4xFSAA hardware enabled..

·
Emu author
1,488 Posts
I'm pretty sure Pete's filtering mode is some clever usage of bilinear filtering, not specifically anti-aliasing.

- Exo

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get a performance hit whenever i enable anti aliasing . Probably because im using a Geforce 2 ....
My system specs are 500 mhz , 256 Pc100Sdram ,
32 Mb Geforce 2 Mx . Well , i guess until i get a 2 gig with 512 ddr ram and geforce 3 i wont be able to do what you said ..... unless i get a 3dfx card :)
BTW , FSAA is only available for 3dfx cards right ?

S

·
0 Posts
I would say your slowdown problem is due to your processor. I don not think it is your video card. I say this because I'm using Pete's plugins w/a GEForce 2GTS card, I have 4x FSAA enabled and sprite smoothing as well, and I get no slow downs. The difference is I have an Athlon T-Bird 1.2 ghz processor, while your is only a 500mhz. That is where I think your problem is.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Hanamichi
I get a performance hit whenever i enable anti aliasing . Probably because im using a Geforce 2 ....
My system specs are 500 mhz , 256 Pc100Sdram ,
32 Mb Geforce 2 Mx . Well , i guess until i get a 2 gig with 512 ddr ram and geforce 3 i wont be able to do what you said ..... unless i get a 3dfx card :)
BTW , FSAA is only available for 3dfx cards right ?
FSAA is available for Nvidia cards, ATI cards and 3dfx cards. The GeForce 2/3 series of cards and the Radeon256 uses super-sampling while the 3dfx, GeForce 3 and Radeon 8500 cards use multi-sampling.

Originally posted by Exophase
I'm pretty sure Pete's filtering mode is some clever usage of bilinear filtering, not specifically anti-aliasing.
In case you didn't know, super-sample FSAA is bilinear filtering. You basically take the image at a higher resolution and sample it down to the output resolution and smoothen it out using bilinear filtering.

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Humn , i guess i will have to upgrade my comp then ....... gotsa get a new mb , processor and ram .... Pc100's pretty slow .
Thanks for the replies and info guys :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts