Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I have a problem setting the graphics on PSX. When using GL, Dino Crisis 2 looks like this -

or

When using Vulkan it no longer appears, but for example in Crash Bandicoot 3 there is something wrong with the shadow -

In addition, after the last update (RetroArch and/or NVIDIA drivers) also Spyro began to display incorrectly with PGXP enabled -

Maybe someone knows how to deal with it?

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
635 Posts
In Vulcan try using "Nearest" texture filtering. In both Spiro and Crash it looks like a texture filtering issue. You can use shaders to do post-processing texture filtering but it is no where near as good as the renederer's built-in texture filters. As far as the other games.....the only thing I can think of is possibly bad disc images or maybe some bad cheat codes. Believe it or not mistyped and/or just generally bad cheat codes can do some funky things to your games, including messed up graphics.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
crash shadow is a known issue....
spyro could be just set to the wrong pgxp method...I'll have to test it to see....

and yea for beetle hw NEVER use oprngl, it is pretty broken and has just about been abandoned in favor of vulkan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi.

In Vulcan try using "Nearest" texture filtering. In both Spiro and Crash it looks like a texture filtering issue. You can use shaders to do post-processing texture filtering but it is no where near as good as the renederer's built-in texture filters. As far as the other games.....the only thing I can think of is possibly bad disc images or maybe some bad cheat codes. Believe it or not mistyped and/or just generally bad cheat codes can do some funky things to your games, including messed up graphics.
I used "nearest" all the time. I don't use shaders, no cheats, I used different cd images and everything stays the same.

crash shadow is a known issue....
spyro could be just set to the wrong pgxp method...I'll have to test it to see....

and yea for beetle hw NEVER use oprngl, it is pretty broken and has just about been abandoned in favor of vulkan
Yes, Crash 1 and 2 work fine, 3 only has a problem with this shadow, but it can be played, because it is not so annoying and not conspicuous, but when it comes to Spyro it's a bigger problem :(. PGXP also doesn't work in Harry Potter Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, unless we turn on MEMORY + CPU instead of MEMORY ONLY, thanks to this everything works (except for the deformed BIOS, even with the software framebuffer enabled, so in this mode you need to turn off the BIOS display).
bios.png

Unfortunately, despite the fact that MEMORY + CPU works well with Harry Potter (and surprisingly with most games), it causes fps drops at various times and still does not fix Crash's shadow or the Spyro series - gaps between textures disappear, except for the distorted texture behind Spyro, which also appears on MEMORY ONLY, but also in the Spyro the Dragon, there are huge freezes and something like this can appear for a few seconds -

and in Spyro - Year of the Dragon, there is a flickering of some items on the menu and artifacts on the flipped page. Only Spyro 2 - Ripto's Rage works "good" with MEMORY + CPU, of course with smaller or larger fps drops.

I don't know what to do anymore, play MEMORY + CPU turned on and look for solutions to problems with fps drop, if there is a way? Wait for some update to fix these problems? Maybe the reason lies somewhere on the drivers side? I definitely had to enable "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia settings so that there was no stuttering of audio and fps drop. The first RetroArch I used was version 1.8.2 (so relatively recently), in the meantime there were updates to 1.8.4 and I also had driver updates. I don't remember exactly but Spyro the Dragon worked well on 1.8.2, and now what I wouldn't do, the effects can be seen above. I would like one setting to start the game and play. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
635 Posts
I haven't a clue then. I am relatively new to Retroarch as well so I am by no means an expert or even a seasoned veteran. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
beetle psx hw has just released with a new cpu core (can now chose default interpreter, max full, or cycle exact...[both of the last 2 are forms of dynarec])

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I updated the core. So, Crash 3, Dino Crisis 2 and Silent Hill work well with pgxp enabled, even in MEMORY + CPU mode, Harry Potter works only in MEMORY + CPU mode, Spyro only works when we change Dynarec CPU to "Max performance", and having in this mode, PGXP options do not work in any of the games. I don't know anymore, I'm confused.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts