Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first posted this message on the DivX.com forums, but then I thought maybe one of you guys can help me too:

I got some DivX files from a friend, but unfortunately for me he has a Mac and all the files are "doctored", in .mov format.

I'd like to find a way to play this file in a PC, or convert it to AVI. What I have tried:

1) Playing in Quicktime: Audio plays, video doesn't
2) Playing in WMP: Video plays, audio doesn't
3) Converting with RAD Tools: Resulting file has no video

I know for sure the files are DivX Video + MP3 Audio.
Any ideas? Suggestions?

[]s Badaro

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
In my computer, DivX movies can't be played by Quicktime. The only player I use for DivX is WMP. Make sure you have the lastest codec for DivX(4.11) and maybe you wanna try the DivX player that can be downloaded together with the codec. I've seen my friend playing DivX movie from a player called Global DivX Player. You can get it and more info here: http://www.divxcity.com/ . Which version of WMP are you using?

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Zephon
In my computer, DivX movies can't be played by Quicktime. The only player I use for DivX is WMP. Make sure you have the lastest codec for DivX(4.11) and maybe you wanna try the DivX player that can be downloaded together with the codec. I've seen my friend playing DivX movie from a player called Global DivX Player. You can get it and more info here: http://www.divxcity.com/ . Which version of WMP are you using?
I've got BOTH the 3.11a and 4.11 codecs for DivX installed. As for WMP, I'm using the one that comes with XP, version 8.

I can play any DivX that's wrapped in a AVI file with no problems. The thing is, those files are in MOV format, they were "doctored" by a friend who owns a Mac so he could use it.

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Interesting :eek:

Ok so we can get audio via one method and video from another. Time for some seriously dodgy editing.

What you will need:

1. Hypercam
2. LoopRecorder
3. VirtualDub
4. Radium's MP3 Codec
5. DiVX Codec
6. Lots of free time

Here's the general idea. We need to rip the video using hypercam whilst it is playing in WMP. Then we need to rip the sound using Looprecorder whilst it is playing in Quicktime. Finally join them back together using virtual dub having selected the appropriate formats.

When ripping the video make sure that you have switched off video acceleration from options otherwise it won't capture correctly. The main problem will be getting the video and audio in sync.

Program links:

Codecs and virtualDub
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/index.html

Hypercam and Looprecorder

www.download.com

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's an interesting idea Betamax, moreso along the lines of what I was thinking recently.

But I don't want to use HyperCam to extract the video, since as you pointed out it woud be nightmarish to get the video and audio in sync. Instead, since WMP can play the video, I guess there must be some program out there who can read the track and rip it.

For the audio there's no problem thought, Quicktime can extract it to WAV.

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
It's been a while since I looked at quicktime so I didn't know that:emb:. Anyways I Just though of a simplier method. If you can extract the audio using quicktime then there should be no problems getting the 2 back into sync as the length of the audio track will be the same as that of the original movie. After extracting the audio open up the DiVX in virtualDub. Set the video to direct stream copy and the audio mode to full processing. Then select the wav audio option and the correct file. Set the audio compression to mp3. Save it as a new file and the video should be in perfect sync if I'm not mistaken.:cool:

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Betamax
It's been a while since I looked at quicktime so I didn't know that:emb:. Anyways I Just though of a simplier method. If you can extract the audio using quicktime then there should be no problems getting the 2 back into sync as the length of the audio track will be the same as that of the original movie. After extracting the audio open up the DiVX in virtualDub. Set the video to direct stream copy and the audio mode to full processing. Then select the wav audio option and the correct file. Set the audio compression to mp3. Save it as a new file and the video should be in perfect sync if I'm not mistaken.:cool:
The problem is: VirtualDub does not open the file, since it's in QT format (.MOV). :(

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Meanwhile I've had another thought. Quicktime files aren't suppored by WMP. Thus only the audio is quicktime and not the video. So I'm beginng to think that this "doctored" file is actually an avi file with quicktime audio stream. A long shot but maybe if you rename the file to *.avi and then see if virtualdub can open it.

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meanwhile I've had another thought. Quicktime files aren't suppored by WMP. Thus only the audio is quicktime and not the video. So I'm beginng to think that this "doctored" file is actually an avi file with quicktime audio stream. A long shot but maybe if you rename the file to *.avi and then see if virtualdub can open it.
You're pretty close, I'd say. :)

I know that when you "doctor" the file you don't recompress the video track, because the process is too fast for this. The fact that you can get the video to show up in WMP is further proof.

And, if you try playing a AVI/DivX file in a Mac you'll get to see the video but no sound, so the thought of converting only the audio makes sense, and is reasonable considering the time the proccess takes.

But, since VirtualDub refuses to open the file I suspect that the process also re-writes the file headeres into QT format. And WMP does have some support for QT files, althought it only plays some pretty old ones.

[]s Badaro

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been doing some more research on this subject.

Seems like the main reason for the "doctoring" of videos is a bug in Quicktime. He is unable to properly parse an AVI file containing a MP3 audio track. So, they use this "doctoring" process, which as far as I understand just copies the Audio/Video streams into a Quicktime file.

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Man that is one seriously wacked out method. Still it stands to reason as to why you get video in one and sound in the other. I think you'll have to resort to plan A I'm afriad, 'cos this one me stumped. That is unless there's a restore program that is.

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man that is one seriously wacked out method. Still it stands to reason as to why you get video in one and sound in the other. I think you'll have to resort to plan A I'm afriad, 'cos this one me stumped. That is unless there's a restore program that is.
Actually, I just got a way to convert them that seems to work (tested with one video so far) :).

I found a very old proggy that converts from MOV to AVI without recompressing the video track! This programs has a few limitations (doesn't work with a compressed sound track), but I managed to get the video track in an AVI from it.

Then, I easily ripped the sound to WAV using Quicktime then re-inserted with VirtualDub. :)

[]s Badaro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.