Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am running ePSXe 1.7 with FFIX. I have had quite a time wrestling with getting it to work and I was hoping someone here could help me.

I installed the emulator and configured everything, but when I ran FFIX, all I had to do was start "New Game" and the screen went black. I figured FMVs were the issue, but I had read that loading from a saved game instead of a state would fix it. So a friend of mine sent me a save state that happened right after the FMV was done. I used the state, but things were reeeallly slow, and the music/sound on the menus skipped horribly. I had to fiddle with configuring things for awhile until I could get it to play. The sound still skipped a lot on speech bubbles and menus and zone changes, but it wasn't anything that made it unbearable, so I kept playing.

When the next FMV hit, it froze again - not a totally black screen this time, but the first second or two of the video and some background noise when it froze. I restarted and saved my state before the video, got my friend to play the FMV on her computer, and after that, used the save file she sent me to keep playing. I played until a save point, where I saved, and then to the next FMV shortly after. I got the regular old black screen again, so I restarted and this time loaded up from my game's saved thing on the memory card. Just before I got to the FMV, I saved the state (so I wouldn't have to do all of that in-between AGAIN).

When it was time for the FMV to play, I got this:

wtf001.flv video by ElizabethDowell - Photobucket
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc298/ElizabethDowell/wtf003.jpg

...which is pretty damn bizarre, you know?

I couldn't see my screen at all; whenever I moved the mouse the red stuff followed it, and my computer practically had a seizure trying to tell me all about my driver failing. I had to go into Task Manager and end the program that was instead of using the Escape key.

I didn't give up, though - I thought maybe if I didn't save right before the FMV it would make a difference, so I tried restarting the emulator. Now, every time the game loads up, my whole screen goes black, my computer tells me about a failed driver, and the thing freezes and has to be ended with Task Manager.

I read somewhere about disabling MDECs or something to "turn off" FMVs. That sounds wonderful! After all, I can see them on YouTube. But I Googled it and couldn't figure out how to do that, and so my FMVs stayed on, and now my game won't play at all. Can anyone help me?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
First of all, before we try and go anywhere with ePSXe not playing FMVs, your display drivers aren't stable. That's what that message means. Usually when the display drivers fail, your system has to restart, but in the case of Windows Vista, it'll instead restart the display drivers, but during that time period of it restarting, you will see some funky stuff (or a Black screen). You need to download the latest drivers for your display device, and if you're not sure what it is, type "dxdiag" (without the quotes) into the "Search programs and files" field. In the window that comes up, the "display" tab will tell you what you need. It's most likely an Intel integrated display, or an nVidia or ATi display. Once you have the model number for the display, you go to that companies website (Intel.com, nvidia.com, or amd.com) and download the drivers for that model number/operating system combination. Some people recommend uninstalling your current drivers before installing new ones, but it's not always necessary.

Secondly, I'd advise against skipping the FMVs in this game out of experience. It realy adds to the atmosphere, and some moments may not make much sense unless/if you know what the FMV is (and watching them on YouTube beforehand will spoil the parts for you big time!).

Third, as for the sound and display being messed up after loading the save state, that's one of the possible side effecs of them. Personally, I don't recommend using save states for actual saves. There's many issues that could arise (there's even a few parts in this specific game that seem to crash when last loaded from a save state, so if you go without up until that point and use just save states, you'll have to start way back at the beginning of the disc). Use the save Moogles in the game.

Lastly, if (hopefully when) you getting working, the slow speed sounds like you have a plug-in and/or configuration set that needs a bit of GPU (video display) power, and if what I'm guessing is so, you're probably using an OpenGL2 plug-in on an integrated Intel GPU, which, in short, is a bad idea. That plug-in needs a little bit of video power behind it.

Post your display device (GPU, video card, whatever) once you find it, and also your video plug-in configuration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All right! Thanks so much for replying <3 I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

First: I did the dxdiag, came up with:

Device

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 360M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce 7150M / nForce 360M
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 1065 MB
Current Display Mode: 1280x800 (32bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Drivers

Main Driver: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Version: 7.15.0011.7713 (English)
Date: 12/4/2008 3:42:00 AM
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
DDI Version: 10

DirectX Features

DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

Notes

*No Problems found.

So, I went to nvidia.com and there was a thing to automatically find my drivers and download them. It looked, and I got:

Product: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
Current Installed driver: 177.13
Latest Driver Update: The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site.

So, I started to look and see what I could do manually. I've never updated drivers before, so this is all new to me. There was a page with drop-down menus asking me to select what types I had, but I didn't know what all of them meant and in some there were options I had never seen before. So, really not sure how to get my drivers updated. Does it cost money or something?

Second: I don't mind skipping FMVs. I've played through the majority of this game before, and I can pause at the right times and go find the FMV on YouTube, it's no trouble! I'd rather skip FMVs than have more red death crawling all over my sceen.

Third: I plan on playing from saved games rather than save states as much as possible, especially if it means less crashing.

Lastly: I HAD problems with the game being slow, but after I fiddled and put my video settings to the way they are now, the game itself ran fine. However, that was when the menus, zone changes, and sometimes speech bubbles would make the sound skip.

Video configurations:

Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9

I hope this helps!

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
you're on a laptop right? can you tell me the brand and model name? you need to install the ones recommended by the manufacturer as you were told before, the ones you downloaded were most likely for desktop cards, which do not work with laptop systems. as for the settings you posted, i suggest you set the render mode to 2 if you are using internal res levels that high, not doing so can lead to performance issues.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
First of all, the driver version you have is appears to be the same as the latest one nVidia has for that card, but I'd really bet the latest ones nVidia have would also work with that card. It's worth a shot. Yes, mobile versions of a card are different from laptop ones, but so long as the driver has the card in it's database, so to speak, it all works the same (at least, I think, unless the latest drivers don't have mobile cards in their database). For whatever reason though, the drivers seem unstable. Even if you have the latest version, maybe your drivers or settings are corrupt somewhere.

I'd try a basic reinstall of those same drivers at the least, or optionally, maybe just grab nVidia's latest non-beta drivers. Just download the version for Windows Vista (choose the 32-bit version, unless you know for sure you're using a 64-bit version of Windows Vista), and that's all you need to know. Execute the file after it's downloaded, and it'll install the new drivers for you, and then you'll (probably) have to reboot your system (sometimes you don't have to with Windows Vista/Windows 7).

As for the speed issues, that configuration you have set probably needs more GPU power than your laptop has, which isn't much. It's an nVidia GPU and not an Intel one, but it's still a basic entry level integrated solution, so it's not strong either way. Pete's OpenGL2 needs some decent GPU power behind it (at least more than most integrated solutions). Use Pete's OpenGL 1.x version plug-ins instead, not the 2.x version plug-ins, or use software rendering (which will be much worse visually for 3D, but better for the 2D scenes, like text, menus, and anything outside the world map and battles and characters themselves). Whatever plug-in you use, don't set the options too high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh, I looked for the drivers manually and tried to install the ones it gave me, but all I got was an error about it not being compatible, and the thing shut itself.

Is there any way to just disable FMVs? I've worked out the kinks by fiddling with all the rest of the stuff; FMVs are my only problem. My computer just doesn't want to play them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FF9 Adv Cartoon Shader

FFIX runs good on my pc, but kinda lacks in the backgrounds a bit. I want to use the ACS 1, but out of battles it looks like ****. I'd like the know the specs of anyone who's running FFIX on Epsxe with ACS as their custom shader. Lord Zedeck's config post helped, but unless there's a better shader, I need to know what's best under those conditions. pics, soon to come.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
The thing is, this is both a 2-D and 3-D game, and both are equally important, so to focus on one will make the configuration far from the best. Of course, mine is very far from perfect too, but in my experience, I never liked the shaders too much (at least not the cartoon or bump mapping), and that's why I just rely on standard smoothing.

Actually, screen smoothing in OpenGL 2 seems far less done than it was in OpenGL (1). If you enable the option in both, OpenGL 1 will be far smoother. You have to enable the shaders and set it to maximum (4) to get the same smoothness you do in OpenGL (1), so that's how I have it set up.

Still, mine's far from perfect too. You really need a CRT monitor to get the best of it, and those are becoming more and more uncommon, and you need to use a low resolution, but these aren't HD games, so that's a given.

I never personally liked the tradeoff of making the 3-D a higher resolution when it assured for certain that the beautiful backdrops and environments would turn to garbage. The 3-D looks good enough (better than original) anyway just by using a hardware renderer, so basically, I'd rather have the 2-D look as good as original and the 3-D look better than original, rather than the 2-D look far worse and the 3-D just a bit more better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.