Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on Gentoo Linux and I installed epsxe and its plugins via portage (though I've also downloaded the epsxe binary to try as well) In either case, I get the same error message:

./epsxe: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This file is in my /usr/lib, I've copied it everywhere I can think of... /lib, ~/.epsxe, ~/, the plugins directory, everywhere, but I can't figure out where epsxe is trying to find this file. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added /usr/lib to my PATH and LIBPATH, but that didn't seem to help. For clarification, the way it was installed by Gentoo, epsxe runs out /usr/games/bin/epsxe, which is a script that handles the libpthread.so stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I fixed the error: the reason it could never find the libraries are because it is a 32-bit binary, so it was looking in /usr/lib32, but since my system's 64-bit, /usr/lib is linked to /usr/lib64. All I had to do was install the packages for the libraries for 32-bit emulation. For gentoo, follow the instructions on this page:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/technotes/index.xml?part=1&chap=4

Put here for future reference

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, thanks for your help. I'm having another problem I can't really diagnose. Basically, epsxe crashes with an error every time I launch with any plugin in the plugin directory besides the libGPUPeteMesaGL plugin and the libspuPeopsOSS plugin (which I can't use because I don't have OSS support). If I put in the ALSA one (or the CDR one, which I don't actually need to run epsxe) it says "plugins/whatever.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. It runs, but crashes if I go to the config dialog with those plugins in the directory. It does run games fine if I only put the gpu plugin in. Not sure why the GPU and OSS SPU plugins would avoid these errors, but all the others would have them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'll try it under Knoppix and let you know how it goes. Might take a few days - I have to go find the Linux plugins, get the base executable working, etc. One question: am I going to need to compile things, or will I find precompiled versions around?

Which gives me a thought...did you compile all the pieces the same way? Is it possible that some plugins were compiled for 32 bit and others for 64 bit, and the incompatibility is what's causing the crashes?

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.pbernert.com/ is the site with all the plugins, Linux included. Those should all be precompiled, so they'll be fine. The only other requirements (I think) are the libgtk stuff, which Knoppix probably has.

As a side note, I did download the spu plugin and compile it myself with ALSA support, but I met with the same error as the precompiled version. So I may be missing something else altogether.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually didn't seem to need one... The game ran without a CD plugin in the directory. If I went to configure the nonexistant cdrom plugin, it simply had a path where I could type in /dev/cdrom or whatever the cd device was. As I said, if I tried to put a CDR plugin in the directory, it would give a similar error as the spu alsa plugin. Try running without one and see.

In addition to trying the plugins on that page, I also tried the ones that I installed with my package manager.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I didn't get the "cannot open shared object file" problem you refer to. I had three GPU plugins and two SPU plugins and no problems. I did run into some problems similar to yours, but only when I tried to put the Mooby2 CDR plugin in the directory, or when I put things in the wrong directories.

Some tips (you may already know these):
  • ePSXe is best started from the command line, after cd'ing to the directory containing the ePSXe executable.
  • The plugin *.so* files go in the plugins directory.
  • The *.cfg and cfg* files go in the cfg directory
  • You need to install all three kinds of files for each plugin

If you're still having problems after this, I'll zip up my linux ePSXe directory and send it to you in a PM (minus the BIOS, of course). You might also want to look into PCSX for Linux.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.