Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Long time listener, first time caller"

Okay, I am new here, and I was searching the forums for an hour and still couldn't find any news topic that was related to my question.

First off, I downloaded the most recent version of ePSXe from the site a few days ago. I tried running Metal Slug X for it, and it worked fine. The only problem I had was that the game was not reckognizing the key I designated for the start button, and therefore could not start the game.

I checked the settings, first on default, then I tried assigning my own controls, neither of which worked. I also made sure that the second pad was disabled as well. I was using keyboard controls, not some joystick or gamepad.

At first I thought it was a problem with the ISO. So I tried running a second one (Slayers Royal) and again the same problem.

Can someone help me? I can provide stats for whatever you need. Let me know.

-Mage-

There are no such things as stupid questions....
....Just stupid people.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Well for one, make sure you're updated your directx recently. For another, check and see if you have force sio irq enabled, if you do, disable it. Also try pressing f4 and seeing if that does anything. Sorry I don't own either of those games so I can't say if this is a specific problem for either of them but I haven't seen anything posted about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but still needin' the help...

Thanks for the help you supplied gerbilcannon, I tried those things, but it still didn't work. WHat I have found out thusfar as well is that the other buttons do work, but it is just the start button I am having trouble with.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

-Mage-

There's no such thing as stupid questions....
...Just stupid people.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Are you using a keyboard for input? A controller? If you're using a controller and haven't already, try binding start to the keyboard. Try several different keys. If you have a controller, try that. Try updating the drivers for the controller. Sorry I don't have much help, but it is a very odd problem indeed. Try a different keyboard, if usb try ps/2 if ps/2 try usb. Fiddle around until it bloody well works! If I get anymore ideas I'll let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Info on how I'm running it...

I'm trying to use a keyboard (because I don't have a controller that I can use with the emulator). I bind the start button to ANY key on the keyboard and it won't reckognize it. I tried a simple joystick I had (just to bind the start button to something other than the keyboard) and that still didn't work.

I know it's not a keyboard issue, because it works everywhere but the emu. If anyone else reads this, am I the only one with this problem?

I don't want to bother the creators, but is this an issue that needs their attention? I would test the emu on my other computer, but it's a 233mhz with no vid card and only 32 mb ram.

Any other suggestions?

-Mage-

There's no such things as stupid questions....
....Just stupid people.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Have you tried setting the first pad to "Digital Only" mode (either press 'F5' couple of times, or configure it in the pad settings dialog box)? Also, which DirectX are you running?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already tried it....

I had already tried switiching the modes on the pad dialog box but that doesn't help. As for Direct X, I'm running direct X 8.0a.

I know it's just the start button, because I tried a few other CDs and ISOs. One the ISOs and CDs I have tried, all the buttons but the start work. So I know it's not a problem with my keyboard. If I bind the start button to 'v', the 'v' key doesn't seem to respond in the emu (but does in everything else in windows). If I bind the start button to ANY key it does the same thing. No response, and it responds everywhere BUT the emu.

Any other help is appreciated.

-Mage-

....Just stupid people.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
I honestly think you're the only person with that problem in the world! :eek: <- I love this.

Have you tried the old (at least here) thing of removing ePSXe completely (including registry entries, do a search on the board to find out how) and configuring it all again?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally.... But even bigger problems arise...

Okay, I tried removing the whole thing (and registry entries) and reinstalling, but that didn't work.

But when I was messing around with it in the different options, I was finally able to get Metal Slug X to work (and it works great at that too!).

But after I selected my player, the screen went black. I stopped getting any response from the computer (except mouse movement), ctrl-alt-del didn't even respond so I reset my computer.

My computer booted up normally until it got to the loading windows screen. It stayed on that screen for a bit (normal length) and then when it was supposed to load the desktop, it gave me the following error in text:

Error in loading the VCACHE module:
Windows protection fault occured, please reboot your computer.

I did reboot my computer and when it got to the same point, my computer just rebooted on it's own without saying anything. It rebooted by itself 3 times before I decided to shut it down completely and do a cold boot. When I turned it back on, same problem. So I decided to try safe mode. Safe mode works, but I don't know where the problem is to fix it. I also tried step-by-step confirmation and disabled most of the major drivers in config.sys and autoexec.bat (ones I know I can safely disable) but then it gave me the same error above. I ran my recovery CD on just to restore original software without a format (so I can keep my existing data) but that didn't solve the problem.

Now I can't even start up into windows (unless it's safe mode, but I don't have anyhting in that mode that I can use) and I'm typing this message using my laptop's access to the net. :(

Please, help me! I don't want to have to buy a new computer (I'd love to, but I can't afford it). Any and all help is wanted right about now....

-Mage-

BTW, thanks to all of you who helped try to get the emu running!

....Just stupid people.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Urg... really sucks to be you, man. I feel your pain :sad:

As horrible as this sounds, it looks like a good-old fashioned reformat is the way to go. Go into safe mode, backup all necessary your files with a ZIP drive, and bomb the whole thing, then reinstall Windows. You could try contacting tech support, too, but MS charges an arm and a leg once your warranty's expired. Just some food for thought. Again, terribly sorry :(

P.S. If you don't know how/what reformatting is, just ask ;)

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Or if you could try re-installing windows first and see if it works, if not, then do the reformat..

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Ow, that sucks... Did you deleted more than necessary on registry?
I think you have a tool called scanregw.exe, just run it to check for errors in registry. It may need to restore a previous backup of it, so be prepared to reinstall any programs you had installed after the backup date and change the epsxe settings you changed. The procedure is quite safe so before reinstalling windows or reformating, you should give this a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fixed.... Now for the emu...

When I had gotten Metal Slug X to work, I didn't even touch the registry, so I knew that was out...

Luckily I had a near-empty 40gb harddrive I had just gotten a few days earlier. I just plugged that thing into my screwed computer and backed up the whole harddrive, did a reformmat and copy everything over.

System works fine now, but I'm kinda afraid to test the emu... I think I will, just so that I can figure out what the heck happened....

Anyone have an idea about why the emu would have caused an error like that when it had to be rebooted in mid-game?

-Mage-

P.S. Thanks again to all of you who have provided help! I really appreciated it!

·
Registered
310 Posts
do you have a backup of your registry?
try "command prompt only" boot option then try scanreg this should check if you have registry errors also you can restore a backup registry with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yup, i got the same prob as you mage. well, not all that fuggen up the windows thing but how it doesnt recognize the start button.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts