Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost every month I format my hard drive as recomended by some of my friends. So I install winfows 98 SE and everything i had before. When i try epsxe pete's direct 3d plugin is screwed. It cannot seem to render different layers at the same time in any game. For example, when I run FF9, during the starting scene when zidane walks around the room, a message tells you to light the candle in the middle of the room. When that message pops up, everything goes black except for the message. I fixed this with using petes opengl plugin but my card doesn't run as well under opengl. Anybody know how to fix this!!!
I'm thinking It's because of new programming in DirectX 8.0a and petes plugin is suposedly more compatable with DX 7 but other than that i don't know.

Here's my system specs:

600e celeron
64mb RAM
ATI xpert 128
Windows 98SE
(FF9 run from Hard drive)

Pete's direct 3D plugin specs:
[Nice]
Off-screen drawing: Standard
Advanced Blending: None
640*480 16bit

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
I am usin directx8a and the game runs fine ........ You may need to update your Ati card drivers....... to support directx8a...... I have tried all pluggins ogl, direct3d, glide, they all work fine with directx8a..... Please give us some more info about the configuration of the pluggins you are using...... that would be most helpful for us to help you...... plus the configuration for epsxe ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I've read, many people seem to have that problem with ATI rage 128 videocards, even with the latest drivers...

However, I think found a workaround (didn't had the time to test it seriously yet) :
when in the game, press the del key to show the in-game plugin menu, and leave it on-screen.
The screen shouldn't go black anymore.

*hope it works*

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Originally posted by Conartist
Any recommendations for a new card?
Depends how much you plan on spending. If you want a budget card, a TNT 2 or Voodoo 3 or 5 would be pretty good. If you want a more expensive card, a Kyro II for $150 looks incredible. Of course, if you want the best there is, you can spend about $600 for a GeForce 3 Ultra. :p

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Don't spend $600 for a geforce 3 (Not the best by the way, they are still having driver issues)
Wait for the Radeon2 it's will be 1/4 the price and a much better card than geforce 3

·
Registered
21 Posts
first off, who ever told you to format your harddrive every month. it's a waste of your time. just defrag every month.
the problem with formatting every now and then is reinstalling all the drivers, files, programs, etc. perhaps when you formatted, you forgot to reinstall some driver in windows. you may have lost some settings or something. just be consistent and stick with your windows. you'd have to do everything five times over for each time you format. also try using the directx6 plugins. for some reason, they work better if you're having graphics problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually tried the DX 6 trick
still doesn't work
I'm problably going to get a new card for decent price

S

·
0 Posts
Okay, heres a suggestion. Install Pete's plugins vers. 1.49 the go into config and set which ever one you are going to use to fast. Then try your MEDCs. If it helps, you can then adjust various graphics settings "in-game" by pressing delete.
If you are looking for a good inexpensive video card I would reccemmend the GEForce MX or the Standard Radeon. You might also want to check out the new Kyro cards that are coming out. Hope this helps.:)
sincerely,
sx/amiga

1 - 10 of 10 Posts