Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In FF8, none of the text will appear, not on the main menu, not in dialouge, nowhere. Everything else works fine.

I am using ePSXe 1.5.2, Pete's OpenGL2, FPS limit is on, everything else is pretty much default.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New problem(s).

After the comm tower during the SeeD mission, where the giant robot spider attacks you? I can escape just fine, go through all the experience menus, etc. Then, when I am supposed to run, the game doesn't load the next area. The screen stays black, and the sounds continues to run.

Also, couple of other things that are only annoying, not truly important:

Every once in awhile, the characters will freeze halfway through a magic animation, or won't perform their victory animation, keeping me in battle forever. Also, whenever I enter a new area, the screen stutters and flickers wildly. If there is a quick fix for this, I would appreciate it.

My computer specs are roughly 1.2Ghz, 256 MB RAM, DirectX 7 Graphics, and tons of availible hard drive space... I am running the game with P.E.O.p.S Soft Driver 1.4, SaPu's CD-Rom plugin, and Pete's DSSound audio plugin.

I also tried this setup, but when I tried to start it, the program says that my plugin doesn't support shader or texture effects...

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
did you try the stuff in that thread? like updating drivers, switching emulators, not using save states, all those tasty tidbits?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
why would you change the extension? i use Alcohol 120% to make cloneCD images (and i used CloneCD back in the day) and it worked with the images it made.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Have another look at the directory where CloneCD saves the output files. I use Alcohol, with its CloneCD Output option. If Alcohol is doing a proper imitation of CloneCD format, you should find either two or three files: a .CCD, a .IMG, and optionally a .SUB.

The .CCD file is a catalog file that describes the layout of the disk image.
The .IMG file is the largest - it contains the actual data from the disk, and is what you would open in Mooby2 or Load ISO.
The .SUB file contains subchannel data if you're using that option.

Renaming the .CCD file to .ISO is unnecessary and possibly harmful.

A final note: image-making programs by default read at the highest speed they are capable of, and they ignore any errors they come across, simply copying those errors into the destination image. Most such programs can be set to [highlight]not[/highlight] ignore errors, to retry lots of times when they get one, and either to read slowly or to slow down on retries. Make sure you've got your image-making program set that way so you get an error-free image.

If you still can't get a good image after doing that, and making sure the disk is clean and (possibly) resurfacing it to remove scratches, then your disk either has disk rot, was poorly manufactured (Greatest Hits?), has label side scratches that have removed data, or has bottom side scratches too deep for resurfacing to correct.

Dan

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
re: occasional freezing

Just noticed this.

DarthBlob said:
Also, couple of other things that are only annoying, not truly important:

Every once in awhile, the characters will freeze halfway through a magic animation, or won't perform their victory animation, keeping me in battle forever. Also, whenever I enter a new area, the screen stutters and flickers wildly. If there is a quick fix for this, I would appreciate it.
Happens quite a bit in some games (Star Ocean 2 comes to mind - although with this game it was apparently a known problem playing on the PSX too). Whenever the freezing glitch happens, all I do is tap the 'shaped' keys (Triangle, X, Square, Circle), and the L1/L2/R1/R2 buttons - slowly and clearly. Don't repeatedly mash them or press simultaneously, just tap them one by one. Toggling framelimiting off makes it go faster.

Usually just tapping the shaped keys works for me. Freeze -> toggle framelimit off, tap tap, watch as emu recovers, restore framelimit, continue. Sometimes it'll be stuck for extra long, but don't be alarmed. It's very rare that it won't recover from the glitch. Road Rash 3D is an exception, glitches there tend to not recover. Also very likely graphics: it happens any time an FMV gets played (intro, loading, finishing a race, etc). It's like it doesn't handle the transition between FMV/3D/2D very well (lousy FMV codec by the game coders? :p ).

As you said... a quick fix. It's most likely a graphics glitch. I observed the same thing, it usually happens when the game needs to display a 3D animation which it needs to load (like when you cast a spell or a summon). E.g. on the 3D world map, I can force it to start glitching by rotating the camera, although that usually clears up pretty fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.