Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have been trying to configure ePSXe to display the PS1 games properly, but I have been having an extremely difficult time. When I configure the graphics plugins, if I try to tell it that my desktop resolution is 1920x1080 (my monitor resolution), the image is too blown up and cut off, as I will demonstrate later. For example, on the Pete GL2 core, if I set desktop resolution above 1024x768, I get that problem, and I get a similar problem with the ePSXe graphics core plugin. So I just set it to that resolution. However, some games are being displayed windowboxed. Spyro the Dragon is one such game, as seen here:

These are the settings that gave me the above display:

However, with these settings, Silent Hill for example displays properly scaled:

I have tried and tried and tried seemingly every different combinations of settings available, but this is the best I can get it to look. Changing the stretching mode messes it up and does things like stretching the image all the way from one side of the screen to the other; this is the one that seems to look the best, but some game are still windowboxing.
As I said earlier, if I change the desktop resolution to 1920x1080, it does this:

I have had similar results trying various settings with resolution, stretching mode, etc. in the ePSXe core graphics plugin. Does anyone know how I can get the image to scale properly for every game, in the game's original 4:3 or whichever aspect ratio, without being windowboxed? I am sorry, I don't know all that much about the technical info of this kind of thing, I only understand the basics.

·
Not a Registered User
1,419 Posts
Sadly some games depending on the region will have black bars as the devs when porting the gene to PAL region rather than properly resize the game said duck it to much work just insert black bars to make it fit.

You would have to do play around with the cropping and overscan settings to try and fix this, but obviously this make games without black bars to look incorrect.

Personally I recommend switching to Duckstation.
Much better and simpler PS1 emulator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sadly some games depending on the region will have black bars as the devs when porting the gene to PAL region rather than properly resize the game said duck it to much work just insert black bars to make it fit.

You would have to do play around with the cropping and overscan settings to try and fix this, but obviously this make games without black bars to look incorrect.

Personally I recommend switching to Duckstation.
Much better and simpler PS1 emulator.
Ah ok, so you think it is a region problem? I can't find any way in the emulator to change region settings, and I got the ROM for the game from a source I trust so I didn't know/think it was the PAL version (though I don't know that much about how that stuff works), so I think I'll check out that other emulator. Thanks for the suggestion :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, that other emulator was very easy to download and get running, and it worked much better right away, thanks, I'll just switch over to that one.

·
Not a Registered User
1,419 Posts
Ah ok, so you think it is a region problem? I can't find any way in the emulator to change region settings, and I got the ROM for the game from a source I trust so I didn't know/think it was the PAL version (though I don't know that much about how that stuff works), so I think I'll check out that other emulator. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Sadly this is something that is coded into the game so changing region in the emulator wouldn't help.
Your only solutions are to either get the other version/region copy of the game or use settings in emulator for cropping and overscan to try and cut out or hide the black bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sadly this is something that is coded into the game so changing region in the emulator wouldn't help.
Your only solutions are to either get the other version/region copy of the game or use settings in emulator for cropping and overscan to try and cut out or hide the black bars.
I checked many games and that other emulator seems to do a much better job with that and it has better cropping options that work better and are not glitchy on my computer like ePSXe, so I think I'm happy with the new emulator for now

·
Registered
2 Posts
In order to show a 4:3 image on the more modern 16x9 television sets, they have to make that square image fit into the rectangle and unless you want the image stretched out, you must have black bars on the side Kodi nox .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In order to show a 4:3 image on the more modern 16x9 television sets, they have to make that square image fit into the rectangle and unless you want the image stretched out, you must have black bars on the side.
Yes, I am aware of that and I do want the original aspect ratio preserved (I am a huge film buff lol). Here, I was specifically talking about the WINDOW boxing that I was getting, not the side bars. Thanks though, and the new emulator the previous user recommended seems to have solved my issue :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts