Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week the Leadtek A400 GT TDH (GeForce 6800 GT) video card that I ordered from Newegg arrived (pictures of it are in hushypushy's upgrade thread). Unfortunately when I first powered up the card I was greeted by artifacts, artifacts, and more artifacts. The card displayed them all the way from its memory test (preceding the motherboard POST) into Windows.

I RMA'd the card and today I recieved the replacement. Unfortunately, it has the exact same problems as the first card did. Here's a list of different things I've tried that I can remember :p.

1st 6800 GT:
Dedicated a whole power line to it.
Unplugged both HDD's, both optical drives, and my three case fans (the remaining powered devices were the motherboard, the video card, and the CPU fan).
Cleared the CMOS.
Possibly turned on fastwrites

2nd 6800 GT:
Set AGP speed from Auto to 4x.
Turned off write combining in Windows.
Tried to install 66.93 ForceWare drivers, resulting in a BSOD with every attempt.

With the second card I left fastwrites turned off as that is the setting I use with my 9500 Pro. I have tried looking around on the Internet for some information or similar experiences and I didn't find a whole lot but what I did find pretty much exactly matched my problem.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=833312
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1450079
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1447908

I don't have a spare PC to test with as I highly doubt my dad's Dell has a PSU strong enough to handle the card (he probably wouldn't let me use it anyway). I'm thinking about asking my fifth period teacher if he can test the card in his computer as the person at the [H]ardOCP forums said their card worked in a different computer. I think my PSU is strong enough to handle it but you never know.

Here's five things I've thought of doing in case I can't get this particular card to work with my PC:

1. RMA'ing the card back to Newegg and getting a refund. Problem: 15% restocking fee, which equals about $60 lost, not to mention the $11 something I paid to ship the first 6800 GT back.

2. RMA'ing the card back to Newegg then use that money to purchase a different brand of 6800 GT. Problem: Don't know if it's just that particular brand that won't work in my PC or if no 6800 GT will work in my PC.

3. RMA'ing the card back to Newegg then buying a plain 6800. Problem: Maybe the whole 6800 line doesn't like my PC :lol:.

4. RMA'ing the card back to Newegg and buying a 6600 GT AGP. Problem: I was really looking forward to the 6800 GT as it has enough power to let me turn up the AA/AF in pretty much any game I want to play, with the 6600 GT that might not be the case (it is a pretty strong card though).

5. Keeping the 6800 GT and building a whole new PC. Problem: My current PC isn't too old (August 2003, I was aiming for the major upgrade to be sometime late next year) so it seems a little early to completely overhaul it, not to mention my dad might not like the idea a whole lot. Also, I was planning on getting a nForce 4-equipped motherboard with my next upgrade, thereby making the GT useless.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong with the card/PC or what I should do? If anyone needs to see my computer specifications, they're in my signature. The first nine pictures are taken from a video I took while the computer was booting up (Picture 1 = video card POST, picture 2 = motherboard POST) and the last picture was when I used the good ol' print screen button while the GT was in my system. If anyone wants the video (~1 minute long, 11.5 MB, .mov format), you can contact me via IRC and the IM programs listed under my name.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Looks exactly like my 9600XT did when it "fried" .. Although I doubt the card is actually fried in your case. Very odd indeed, especially since other users are experiencing it.

This may sound stupid, but have you tried upping the AGP voltage in your BIOS?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have never dealt with video card problems, but I think you should call the manufactor(I can't spell). See if it's a known problem that the have with your system or maybe have them send you a new card for free. Also, have you tried messing with your monitor trying a different one or maybe a different connection?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cooliscool: Nope, I haven't tried playing with the AGP voltage. It's currently at the default setting of 1.5v. Should I try bumping it up one notch?

Squigi63: My monitor is the newest one in my house, the one my dad has is from 1996. If/when I do bring it to school I'll see if I can hook it up to the 22 inch Mitsubishi monitor. I have tried using the DVI->VGA adapter but that didn't change anything.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Do you have another PC or a friends PC you can test it in?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, none of my friends have a PC that will accept the card and my dad's Dell doesn't have enough juice. Hopefully I'll be able to bring the PC into my fifth period class on Monday if it isn't fixed by then.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Try bumping the AGP voltage up. I doubt it'll work, but it's worth a try. :) BTW. Why don't you put your PSU in the Dell and try it out?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I'd get in contact with someone from Leadtek. Most video cards have manufacturer warranties. I'm sure Leadtek has one too. They should RMA you a new working video card for free if that one is defective. If that doesn't work, try getting a card from a Different AIB partner.

BFG has a nice RMA service for their video cards. Some guy at the guru3d.com forums RMA'd a faulty BFG fx5900ultra and got back a BFG 6800gt OC. oO I think my BFG 5900ultra may be faulty too. ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Man I would first test that card in a completely different setup before doing anymore RMAs. If your system is whats causing them to fry you're wasting perfectly good cards.

It could very well mean your PSU isnt adequate, The motherboard isnt compatible. It's hard to say but first check it in another machine.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's no way my dad will let me try the card in his PC. I just remembered someone that has a PC that I could test it in, I'll give him a call tomorrow. Shouldn't my PSU have enough power to run the card though?

·
Registered
175 Posts
This will be a solution if you havent done it yet, above the AGP port to the left is or should be a 4 connection small box shaped connector, make sure the lead from your PSU is connected to it.. if your psu is old and you dont have one then its time you bought a new PSU.

if its not plugged in it will cause artifacts, i got the same problem when i had my DFI board and my old radeon 9500 non pro and didnt plug it in.

if you are overclocking the FSB i suggest you put it back to defaults, this can also cause the problem.. the CPU overclocked should be alright.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already had that 4 pin connector hooked up :p. My CPU/FSB overclock shouldn't be affecting it as the first card still had artifacts after I cleared the CMOS, which drops the CPU down to 1.1 GHz (stock is 1.83).

·
Registered
175 Posts
i would suggest that you try another bios for your card in that case, i heard alot of geforce cards get sent out with buggy bios's.. but you may risk losing the warranty of you're card.

though this might not be the problem, if the last card was like it then it just could be something else in your computer..

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PiggyFlyer: I can't update the video card's BIOS unless I can see what I'm typing, I wouldn't want to risk flashing it blindly.

sportster00: That's for the 6800's video decoder/encoder chip, not the GPU itself.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My GeForce FX5700 ultra shows the same stuff when I boot up my computer! I've bought a standard FX5700 now, but I want the ultra card back running. The problem with my card is that some small evil part has fallen off.

I pointed it out in this pic. If someone knows what it does, or know any kind of replacement, then please tell me.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
It's a capacitor. It fills up with electricity, then lets out a burst of it when needed. They are basically crucial to proper electricity distrobution/operation.

You can buy the same capacitance/brand capacitor and solder it on, but reasearch it well because you have to be very precise in what you buy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I guess I can use the numbers that's printed upon it. Thanks.

:/ What kind of stores am I looking for? It's not like I see those capacitors everywhere...

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Here is a good guide on replacing capacitors (it's for motherboards' bad capacitors, but you get the general idea). Go here and read up on identifying the capacitor. From there you can see what you need to buy. As for where to get them.. you could look on any old electronic device and see if it has an identical (to the data, not brand) to the one you have. Don't know of any places that sell them though I'm sure there are.

I wouldn't attempt it unless you're sure of your soldering skills. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Here's a picture of my voltages as detected by MBM5. I just upped the AGP voltage to 1.6v but I haven't popped in the GT yet.

Edit: I tried jacking up the AGP voltage to 1.8 but it didn't help. I checked the IRQ that the card was using, which was 12. Would that have an effect on anything? I don't think it was sharing the IRQ with anything else.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts