Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought getting new HD and getting everything stream-lined would be easy, but atm, I'm on day 3 and there's still a bunch of stuff to sort out, most major is this problem. Before I get into the problem, I'll describe the layout of my HDs just to not make is confusing:

BEFORE:
- Seagate 250GB IDE drive (master drive with jumper)
- Seagate 80GB IDE drive (slave drive; no jumper)

NOW:
- Western Digital 640GB SATA drive (master drive; no jumper since it isn't required on SATA drives, right?)
- Seagate 250GB (slave drive now; jumper removed)

I want to add the third 80GB drive as well, but I just can't get all 3 to run:

When I:

Hook up all 3 drives, no jumper on any:

BIOS screen shows up, but that's just about it, immediately after that the BIOS gives an error saying "Primary IDE Hard Disk not found"

Disconnect the 250GB drive, and leave only the 80GB one without any jumper:
Windows boots up fine, but acts as if the 80GB drive never even existed. No partitions show up, and the disk is also absent from Disk Management in Administrative Tools.

Only leave the 80GB drive, and place the jumper on it in slave setting (i.e. on pin#2):
The boot menu shows up, but shortly after selecting an OS, the screen goes black and nothing happens

Disconnect the 80GB drive and connect the 250GB drive with no jumper:

Everything runs fine; no problems.

This has led me to believe that the problem lie with the 80GB drive, but why? Its always remained my slave drive, never been the primary, and never had any OSes in it.

So what's the problem here? Any ideas? I'm pretty tired of disconnecting/reconnecting my HDs now :(

P.S. My mobo has 1 IDE connection so I can run 2 IDE devices on it, the master IDE connector is inserted into the 250GB drive while the slave IDE connector is inserted into the 80GB drive. Should I swap this around or something?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
" - Western Digital 640GB SATA drive (master drive; no jumper since it isn't required on SATA drives, right?)"

Sata is one port per hdd, no master/slave setup

No jumper sometimes means cable select, and not all hdd's support cable select.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it doesn't really matter now, I got it running :yippee:

Basically what I did was:

- Remove the jumper from the 250GB drive
- Put it in the primary setting of the 80GB drive.

I read that it isn't possible to have 2 IDE drives connected to one port and have both of them slave drives, so I made 80GB into a primary one, but changed the HD setting in the BIOS such that the 640GB is the primary HD. So in short, the boot sequence is now as follows:

640GB --> 80GB --> 250GB --> DVD --> USB --> Floppy

And everything's working ^_^

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Yes everybody, you may now facepalm.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey this was tricky stuff man! I mean, why wouldn't it work when I had the jumper on the 250GB drive and nothing on the 80GB one when it works the other way around?!?!

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
because you hate anime.

its as simple as that.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
:p

Its probably just some wierdity with your system :\

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Don don don! That's why I'm here! :p

Manually set one to master, and one to slave. The cable select crap is probably screwing things up.
That's what I'm doing right now, but it only works one-way i.e. when 80GB = master and 250GB = slave, alright. But when 250GB = master and 80GB = slave, BIG PROBLEMS!

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny thing is that:

- It was always a slave drive, never had an OS in it, whereas the 250GB one does
- Its connected to the slave IDE connector whereas the 250GB one is connected to the primary IDE connector.

This is why I thought it'd be more suitable to have 80GB = slave and 250GB = master, but.....oh well, if it works flawlessly the other way around who cares! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.