Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i tried out my ff9 cd on my ps2 and came across a problem while zidane is in trance in ff9. As soon as the battle with the prison keeper(plant thing) and zidane begins his trance, the game stops and zidane is left moving continuously. this is before the big flash and dialogue between Steiner and him begins.
I then tried it out on my pc and once again came across the same problem..
the CD had scratches on it from b4 but it still worked perfectly but just today its not geting past that point. can anyone help??

· Emu Author
616 Posts
if the game just stops and you can not do anything but there seems to be motion than its a problem with your cd and i am 100% sure than that its the cratches, especally as you mentioned you had scratches on the cd. i had this problem with ff9 before but it was on the 3rd cd and also it was on the 1st cd as well, but i was able to judge where it happened and got very far into the game with the problem happening in several locations, i was just fast to get through and prevent the problem.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I gave it a good clean b4 with water and soap and it pased the part but now i tried it again and nothng. i havent touched it since last time it worked.
I heard toothpaste!! can help a lot but i dunno how to actually clean using toothpaste so anyhelp on how to do it is greatly appreciated guys.

hushy: wud making an iso not make a corrupted one?

· Emu Author
616 Posts
makign a cd image of a badly scratched cd will make a messed up image. using stuff like that to clean a cd sometimes can work but rarely does or at least for me it never has and sometimes if not done correctly will just make the cd worse than it was before. i ended up havign to buy a new copy of the game :/

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
hushy: wud making an iso not make a corrupted one?
huh? anyway i guess swatgod answered your question.

be careful with cleaning/polishing your CDs...there is the possibility for a lot of positive change, but also the same possibility of negative change.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i havent got a cd cleaner yet so is there any other way of cleaning the CD properly to reduce the effect of the scratches?
bear in mind ive tredi warm wter toothpaste , and a standard clean with a cloth...

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
ya know, you could've ruined it....

did you try the steps in the troubleshooting FAQ like different emulator, different graphics plugin (especially software ones), making an ISO with lots of retries on errors, etc etc...?

you originally mentioned your Ps2, then you said it happens on PC. are you trying to solve the problem for your PS2 or for the PC? the PC, with its different laser, might be able to read past it....for the PS2 you might have to really polish it CORRECTLY for it to be read since the drive isnt as strong.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok just to clear things up, ive tried it on my ps1, ps2 and pc and it stops in exactly that same place. This previously occured and i sumhow managed to get past it with a good clean.
I tried that again and this time no luck so im lukin at alternative methods if possible to get it working again on my pc.

· Registered
654 Posts
Does the CD have any label-side scratches? Hold the disc up to a bright light - can you see light shining through any scratches or pinholes?

If either above answer is yes, your disc may be done for. The data layer on CDs (DVDs are a little different) is just under the label, so top-side scratches are actually worse than bottom-side scratches. Once the data is gone, it's not coming back.

If not, it may be a case of disc rot - discs that were poorly manufactured, or have been warped in any fashion, or have been stored in high heat/high humidity conditions can suffer from oxidation of the reflective layer and the data layer, especially if the layers have begun to separate.

If it is just bottom-side scratches, a Disc Doctor product may help. These (GameDoctor, DVDDoctor, DiscDoctor, etc) work by abrading away some of the bottom of the disc, like sanding down a piece of wood to remove a scratch. Has to be used carefully and precisely according to instructions though, or it can make things worse.

If your disc is unrecoverable, your only (lawful) option remaining is to purchase another copy.

One last question: what iso-making tool did you use, and on what settings? If it's just scratches, and they're not too bad, by setting your tool to not ignore errors and to retry as many times as possible, you can sometimes get a good iso out of a marginal disk. This strategy has worked for me with Alcohol 120% on a number of occasions.

Dan

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i havent tried making an iso out of the cd because i wanna try and get it to work off the cd on my ps2.
the cd i have have is a psone original game(black bottom layer with a dense topside(picture of zidane and garnet on the top on a white background. no light is shining through the cd. when held in light i can see a scratch on it that goes around the cd for about 3 cm and dats the biggest sratch there is, the others are minor

· Emu Author
616 Posts
if you see light through cd its trash, its done for as been said. you can not recover that cd no matter what you want to try if that data layer is scratched up. sorry but thats how it goes with cds. best you go out and buy a new copy of ff9.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but i cannot see light through the cd, none of the data layer has come off, only dat one scratch can be felt on the CD and a few monor scratches elsewhere( the scratch does not let light thru the CD.)

· Emu Author
616 Posts
sorry misread what you said, i see now what you said correctly. you can try something like disc doctor to maybe fix it. but be careful, those things can still mess up a cd, i used a thing like disc doctor and it ruin 2 cds of mine.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not actually gonna play it on my pc. Im trying to play with my ps2 but am using emulation to troubleshoot the CD problem. Plus i am using savestates and havent saved with the moogle in the forest...
Is there any way of buffing out the scratches to get my Cd workin or is it gettin a bit too difficult to recover the cd?
BTW thanks for the suggestions

· Registered
654 Posts
DiscDoctor (aka DVDDoctor, GameDoctor, etc.). It will sand out the scratches. Must be used precisely according to instructions or it can further damage your disc.

I have successfully used DiscDoctor to recover about half a dozen discs that I bought used and which had easily visible scratches.

If your disc was working before and isn't now, is it possible that a combination of a marginal disc with additional dust on the laser lens has pushed it just that little bit too far to be readable? You might want to try a head-cleaning kit for your PC and PS2.

Dan

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
well if you really intend to play it on your PS2, you might want to just buy a new game and get those sleeves that go over your discs while you play them (those game condom thingies).

the PS2 has a pretty weak laser...there is a higher chance of getting it to work in your PC than the PS2. in fact, the more you fiddle with the disc, the lower you are making your chances of it working in the PS2.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ill try out a disc cleaning kit and see how it works out.
But if that fails, is there no other way to try to get my Cd back( more experimental ways ir toothpaste)
Hushypushy: Yeh i am trying to get it workin on my pc first before i try it on the ps2.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.