Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Privacy concerns over Yahoo IM upgrade

Yahoo's latest salvo in the battle for control of users' desktops has got some worried -- the 'default' installation of YIM now surreptiously installs myriad other things as well. If you're one of the tens of millions of Yahoo users asked to upgrade your instant-messaging software this week, be on your toes; the update can open the door to unwanted PC houseguests -- and setting changes -- by default.

The newest free version of Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM) boasts advanced Internet phone calling in an upgrade that comes "highly recommended" by Yahoo. By clicking "yes" to the update, a user can expect to get a slicker YIM interface with buttons to quickly chat, blog, swap photos or call someone online. It even has new emoticons.

Those changes are what many might expect. What they may not expect are all the other tools they get when not paying attention.

By accepting Yahoo's "typical" installation of YIM with Voice, it will also download Yahoo's Search Toolbar with anti-spyware and anti-pop-up software, desktop and system tray shortcuts, as well as Yahoo Extras, which will insert Yahoo links into the Internet Explorer browser. The IM client also contains "live words", which will automatically show an icon when the user highlights words online and then hyperlink to Yahoo search results, definitions or translation tools. Finally, the installation will alter the users' home page and auto-search functions to point to Yahoo by default.

To avoid these changes, users must actively choose the "custom" installation and uncheck five boxes.

Yahoo spokeswoman Terrell Karlsten said that for avid Yahoo users, the included services are valuable and highlight the integration among all its tools.

"By setting it that way we're giving people choices. For people who want to download software in one fell swoop, they have that option. If they don't want it we give them the ability to customise it," Karlsten said.

Battle for the desktop
Privacy advocates called Yahoo's install tactics disappointing, yet part of a long history of guerrilla marketing among Internet companies promoting free software. Ray Everett-Church, a principal at privacy consultancy PrivacyClue, said in this case that Yahoo was going further than it ever had before.

"This is the first instance where you actually must go and do a custom install to control them from installing other software," Everett-Church said. "Most folks go to the default install and are not expecting to get a whole suite of unasked-for software. That's where the sneaky factor comes in."

Yahoo isn't the only company employing aggressive means to promote their applications and services, nor is it the first. Big companies including MSN and America Online and smaller firms like RealNetworks and Claria have long taken the opportunity to push other tools or features when users install their software.

The tactics are so common that people often forget about the technological battle being fought for control of their PC, in which Internet companies play offence and defence when it comes to changing preferences for home pages, e-mail, multimedia players and default Web searches.

"The hidden check boxes during installation are a common practice for companies trying to further extend their reach onto your computer desktop," Everett-Church said. "Companies have a responsibility to very clearly indicate what is being installed during that process and give a clear opportunity to reject software."

In this case, the YIM software triggers a miniature battle with other software makers. If people accept Yahoo's default home page and search settings and then want to set them back, Microsoft's IE contains an option under its "Tools" menu to "Reset Web settings." That selection, however, will not necessarily restore personalised settings. Rather, it will point people to Microsoft IE default settings, including the MSN home page and auto-search features.

Yahoo is persistent, however. If people set back their auto-search settings to MSN or Google, for example, Yahoo will send a pop-up message asking users if they would like to change it yet again to Yahoo Search.

Yahoo has been testing the new version of YIM with advanced Net phone service since May and released it in early August. This week, it began pushing out a "recommended upgrade" notice to US users, Karlsten said. It has included default home page and search changes since May 2004, when it released YIM 6.0.

Yahoo Messenger with Voice also includes shortcuts to IM from the desktop and system tray. The Yahoo Extras software will specifically add links into IE that point people to Yahoo services like e-mail and shopping. The "custom" installation of the software will let people opt not to receive the toolbar, shortcuts and extras.

Yahoo could be counting on the fact that most people won't care or notice the changes.

"There are a ridiculously high number of people who never budge off the default," Everett-Church said.
I don't use Yahoo, do you?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The sticky was setup to offload the news spam. If we want to read about current events, we'll either visit a reputable news site or look in the sticky thread.

Dedicated threads for genuinely interesting news pieces from a variety of individuals wouldn't be considered a problem. However, when there's a single person posting random stories all over the place that are obviously some other site's content every other day, it starts to become annoying.

There have been discussions in the admin forum regarding this, twice even. Most people liked the idea of creating a dedicated news forum, so this junk would at least be contained. Unfortunately, no action was taken and, in the meantime, you continue to spam this crap all over the place.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know that this is a serious issue for anyone using yahoo right?
Did you even bother reading it before you said that? it looks like you post before reading.
Besides this doesn't involve sodomy among other things

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Excuse me? Aren't you the same guy that just read an entire discussion over MD5 and somehow came to the conclusion that it was used to hack passwords?

The funny thing is that, in your post, you state that you don't use Yahoo, yet if you did, you'd have noticed that Yahoo has been doing this for years! So, this is nothing new at all.

Perhaps if you think a piece of news truly is a serious matter, you should state so in your original post, instead of making some unrelated braindead comment, such as "I don't use Yahoo, do you?"

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Hmmm, anyways, my stupid bro just installed this fcking Yahoo IM, it kill my Firefox
URL autocompletion feature by redirecting me to their crappy search engine everytime,
anyone knows how to fiw this? Of course I've tried many regedit/antispyware/whatever
tricks. Maybe I missed one though

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,225 Posts
If anything it should at least be moved to the software discussion since it deals with software. .. heh n/m it is in the software discussion. Thought it was in Open Disucssion. :p

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excuse me? Aren't you the same guy that just read an entire discussion over MD5 and somehow came to the conclusion that it was used to hack passwords?

The funny thing is that, in your post, you state that you don't use Yahoo, yet if you did, you'd have noticed that Yahoo has been doing this for years! So, this is nothing new at all.

Perhaps if you think a piece of news truly is a serious matter, you should state so in your original post, instead of making some unrelated braindead comment, such as "I don't use Yahoo, do you?"
Could we at least avoid a flame war, you are looking at my username instead of avartar right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.