Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm playing Tales of Destiny II, and I'm on disc 3, and there's an attack that i can't get to work... I believe it's also the attack I have to use in order to beat the last boss. You have to press circle + cross + square simultaneously.

This happens to me in ePSXe and pSX, so I know it isn't a pSX problem but I don't know where else to post this and I am using pSX to play this game.

In a lot of RPGs for for the playstation you have to hold down a button, often circle, to run. This is one thing I've noticed playing emulators on my laptop. When I hold down circle to run, the game doesn't register when I wasnt to run diagnoally up-left or down left. I can go directly down-left or up-left if I'm not holding the circle button down though. Those are the only onces I've noticed.

I suspect that for some reason, there are button combinations of up to three or more keys that just cannot be recognized and I don't know why. They can be recognized individually... so... I don't know what the problem is.

I suspect that Square + Cross + Circle is one of the key cominations I can't get the game to understand...

Is there are solution to this problem? Has anyone seen it before?

If not I just wasted a lot of time playing this game I won't be able to beat.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
some keyboards will only register a certain amount of key commands when they pressed at once (usually 2 or 3), so this is indeed a limitation of your hardware, not the emulator. if you want to fix this you need to buy a gaming keyboard as they often have no such limit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I suspected that, but that doesn't explain how... I can press circle, up, and right (for example) to run in the up right directions. That's three keys. It's only specific keys.

Which just gave me a genius idea. I will play with the configuartions of keys to playstation buttons and find one that works.

Wish me luck.

works uhnnnn :)

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
that is one possibility, the limit could only apply to modifier, system or function keys but i cant say for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's weird. I know for sure it applies to specific arrow keys but not all arrow keys and the x button too. But I got it to work by playing with the configurations. If I make circle become spacebar instead of x, it will work.

Speaking of this anyway... I'd like to get a USB controller of any kind that can be configured to work with pSX.

The only usb controller I've heard of is the Windows Xbox 360 controller. Would it be possible to config that controller for an emulator?

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
yes its possible, just make sure you install the drivers for it. while i dont use one myself, there are a decent amount of other members here that do so you should be fine with it. you can also use it with other psx emulators if you ever want to switch to something else.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
if you want to fix this you need to buy a gaming keyboard as they often have no such limit.
It has nothing to do if it's a "gaming" keyboard or not. The three key limit is a limitation of the PS/2 connection, so using a USB keyboard, any USB keyboard, will allow you to press more than three keys simultaneously.
Speaking of this anyway... I'd like to get a USB controller of any kind that can be configured to work with pSX.

The only usb controller I've heard of is the Windows Xbox 360 controller. Would it be possible to config that controller for an emulator?
If you want a controller, while the Xbox360 controller is good all around, if it's for Playstation emulation specifically, I went with one of these.

Newegg.com - Logitech 963325-0403 RumblePad 2 Vibration Feedback Gamepad - PC Game Controllers

If you won't mind missing out on rumble, you can save a few bucks with this one. It's the same thing minus that.

Newegg.com - Logitech 963292-0403 Dual Action Gamepad - PC Game Controllers

I have both, and both work flawlessly for Playstation and Playstation 2 emulation.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
aha ive got an idea, why dont you just map them three keys to one key for that battle, savestate then load with your proper key mapings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
just a little afterthougth about a controller...if you happen to already own a PS1 og PS2 controller, you can buy an adapter that makes it possible to use it with you pc.

I've used one before and it works perfectly and you don't have to worry about "which button is the square? Button X or B...?" (which I did a lot, before I was used to the controller).
It's just a bit of a hazzle to find and configure the driver (with my adapter anyways, which I unfortunately have misplaced somewhere...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.