Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks, did you know a SURPRINSIGLY cheap laptop computer has been presented today in tunisia?

Its features currently include:

- processeur: 500 MHz
- hard drive : 1 Gb, flash memory in fact
- good memory

- 4 usb ports
- Wifi adapter
- tactile color/monochrome screen. size:12 inches! using electronic ink

in fact, MIT created a prototype laptop worth 90$ that will be sold for 100$ to governments interested. MIT is talking about a 100 millions units in a first period.

Those involved claim it's ideal for surfing and office work, even more in poor countries with suffering from the HUGE digital divide.

"Making a low cost system was very easy, MIT responded. «just removing wathever unnecessary is enough. Today's systems have become so bloated using the same architecture of these would have only make this system more costly», said M. Negroponte.

BTW, the OS used will be a GNU/Linux system. Apple even offered to donate free copies of MacOS X, but its offer was rejected, due to "bloat" and "lack of freedom" (refering to its system's proprietary nature)

It is possible to recharge its battery using a manivel (thanks to a dynamo)

it should start shipping sometime near end of 2006- start 2007.

Not nearly powerful enough to run Doom III or Half-Life 2, but hey at least it should have more uses than a notebook (for school)

Instead of getting a 1 gigabyte MP3 player, people in developping nations MIGHT consider purchasing a WHOLE laptop computer instead for the same price bracket.

·
band
5,270 Posts
i think this is the one with the power hand crank, the strap that doubles as a power adapter, and is only available through education departments in developing nations, right?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Hard core Rikki said:
While I bet gamers will rather stick with their current systems, those who wanted cheap laptops should be pleased. it probably (...) won't be powerful enough to run Doom III or Half-Life 2.
Lmao. Duh?

Looks nice though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh yes! GNU/Linux is recognized once again as a mutch supperior OS.
Thats really a nice thing to do for a change, allot of people in other pourer countries dont have any acess to modern computers, especially poor kids in schools. Good Job :thumb:

Is there a link for this?

You said that Apple offered free MacOS X, where was Microsoft ? :eek:nthepull

·
Registered
608 Posts
MS? What are they gonna run on it, Win 98SE? ;D
(I'm just trying to be funny)

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Anyone know how much memory is left for the user after all the basics have been installed?

·
Premium Member
18,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Viper_Viper said:
Anyone know how much memory is left for the user after all the basics have been installed?
This is not definitely sure, but i think specific files like hardware drivers will be preinstalled, and you'll be able to run programs from CDs, as well as copy them. I'm not too sure anyway.

Microsoft? they just didnt want to support the project at first. remember, microsoft rubs intel's back (and reverse). Windows bloats pushes the consumers to buy better/newer/costlier processors. This kind of "armament race" can't possibly do any good for "developping nations".

Windows' proprietary nature also was a major problem. People wanted the new consumers to be able to customize their systems/enhance/modify, along with source code for all those interested. Remember, microsoft's EULAs FORBID anyone from learning from microsoft's products. And this product was supposed to be brought to help close a digital divide.

·
Premium Member
8,394 Posts
IIRC these laptop wont be available here in the US or Canada. They are made only for poor nations and only for educational purposes like D.D. said.

ohh and zen_master, there using GNU/Linux simply because its free and its possible to make an extremely small OS compared to Win2K or MacOS IMO

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
oh mama, talk about upgrading your school bag :p

·
Premium Member
18,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chrono Archangel said:
IIRC these laptop wont be available here in the US or Canada. They are made only for poor nations and only for educational purposes like D.D. said.

ohh and zen_master, there using GNU/Linux simply because its free and its possible to make an extremely small OS compared to Win2K or MacOS IMO

1 - Original games in japanese aren't supposed to be available in the US too, but still...
Yeah, these laptops were thought and conceived with "developping nations" in mind, but that doesn't actually restrict them to these, or to educational uses only.

Remember, we're talking about Linux. It's about freedom of use, not freeness (of price). Commercial/office/all uses authorized by law are then (by default) possible.
You don't licence computer hardware you paid good money for, since it's a physical property. These laptops aren't supposed to come with restrictions of use. Not the best for businesses anyway, I say. But hey, in some parts of the world, people never used/saw windows or PCs, so why would they complain about anything?

About US and Canada, I don't think there's any reason to market that. Most western people prefer faster/better hardware, and are willing to pay good money for it. Of course some people might get one for their kids, but that's all.

2 - Windows and MacOS. Size of installation? It would have been solved easily. Using 2 gygabytes flash memories instead of 1 gygabyte would have only costed 11 more dollars. GNU/Linux is modular, you can have ONLY what you know you will use. This isn't quite possible with Windows for example.

Laptop posessers, be not worried. Only people without one should be interested in getting one once they're out.

By the way, anyone knows if these will:
- come with internal DVD drives?
- feature separate inexpensive external DVD drives in the package?
- give users the possibility to use any DVD drive he wants?

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Its got 4USB ports........are there external USB DVD drives? If so, then won't they work?

·
Premium Member
18,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
People could use normal external USB DVD drives/burners.

Or use an internal IDE drive cadastrated in a 5,1/2 inches external box using a USB/Firewire connecting cable.

Anyway, it is to be expected additionnal inexpensive peripherals will be available as available purchases. Anyways, remember this initiative is meant for an educational cause. Don't expect cambodian youths will use dvd burners/play FPS games.

There was a great fanfare about the event, because information leaked before and everyone considered it 'mission impossible'. The use of a GNU/Linux system also helped. Since massive distribution in developping nations will occur, the OS used is likely to become a standard in education systems there, contributing even more to the rejection of proprietary OSes worldwide.

Everyone considered that 'idea' will be a gigantic flop, that MIT will back down. They had ridiculous pretentions, and recently shocked every doubting man in Tunisia. Perhaps they could do some magic tricks on our giant, bloated (for some, inconvenient) systems. I wouldn't say no to laptop batteries rechargable with hand power or similar, for people stuck in the middle of nowhere or going to safaris for weeks.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
I bought my PSP with the only intention being emulators and videos, I've had a quick shot of Death Jnr but no where near enough to justify the £150 I spent on... This laptop should be able to do videos fine and hopefully some emulation as well, it would be a bargain at £60! I want one.

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
I've got a good enough system with me, and a great lab at the uni too but if I find that laptop available in my area, I'll DEFINITLY buy it. I mean, I'll take it as nothing less than a next generation notebook. (By notebook, I didn mean the laptop notebook, the other MANUAL notebook :p )

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
hm :)
I bought my DS originally for it's intended purpose;
now I'm running emulators, a mod/mp3 player, a textviewer/writer, a photoviewer and linux on it ;)
Movies interests me less because I prefer to watch those on a big screen...but it's possible though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.