Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Oilslime
79 Posts
If her trial starts to go badly maybe she can claim that she was only in possesion of half the herion, with the other half being owned by her unborn child. That would at least knock the sentence down.

· You're already dead...
10,293 Posts
no-one should ever be killed for just "possession of drugs."

i don't see why countries have such harsh laws when drugs are involved.
most of the time, the only time people using drugs are a threat, is when they're driving a vehicle or something.
but if they're at home doing drugs, they're only hurting themselves. and i see no reason for that to be a punishable offense.
laws should be about real crimes like murder, rape, theft, abduction, etc...
i.e. crimes where one party purposely harms another party.
drugs is usually about one individual harming themself; and putting laws on that is basically saying "the government owns you, and what you can do to yourself."

· soshin
3,378 Posts
First of all, I think the lady needs saving and fast. I just can't stand thinking the misery she would have to go through in the confinement, not sure of her fate. And how the **** did she get pregnant in jail? Abusive and immoral guards? That is just sick.

no-one should ever be killed for just "possession of drugs."

i don't see why countries have such harsh laws when drugs are involved.
most of the time, the only time people using drugs are a threat, is when they're driving a vehicle or something.
but if they're at home doing drugs, they're only hurting themselves. and i see no reason for that to be a punishable offense.
laws should be about real crimes like murder, rape, theft, abduction, etc...
i.e. crimes where one party purposely harms another party.
drugs is usually about one individual harming themself; and putting laws on that is basically saying "the government owns you, and what you can do to yourself."
Yeah I agree that no one should be put to death for possessing drugs. In my country (also in south-east Asia), the punishment towards drug users are more lenient, but heavier to the dealers. In my country, drug abuse isn't viewed as just a personal issue, but it also drag one's family into it. I had a friend whose father was a heroine addict. Before consuming the drugs, the father was quite a middle class businessman and could give his family housing and schooling for his children. The father had started consuming drugs 4-5 years ago and it started to influence their life greatly only within 2 years or so. The family was split apart, the mother asked for a divorce, their economy collapsed, and my friend (though she managed to go through college) went through quite a traumatic ordeal. So, you see, drugs abuse can be viewed as having an adverse effect not only to the abuser, but also to the people around him (our culture is a lot of a collective one), hence I can understand the reasoning behind the severe punishment. At least in my country.

· You're already dead...
10,293 Posts
verboten999:

i understand what you're saying; but if your friend's father was sent to jail or gotten the death penalty for what he did, then i think things would have been just as bad.
what we should do is offer help to drug addicts, not put them in jail and punish them IMO.

· soshin
3,378 Posts
Yes, I agree with that. That's just what my friend's father had to go through. He was socially prosecuted, and was shunned by his neighbours even by some of his families. This only worsened my friend's grief, for she still loves her father no matter what (that's what she told me). He didn't go to jail fortunately.

The view towards drug abusers has slowly changed within the past few years thanks to some organizations that deal with the rehabilitations of the said abusers. However, in a society whose value toward the integrity of one's family is very high, every cause that may destroy the foundation of a family, will be dreaded heavily. There is a heated debate on whether a death penalty is needed, but for now my society still deem it so. The majority at least, I personally dislike giving someone death penalty. But I do still sometime feel the urge of giving it especially toward some truly evil deed. There is a case of a male homeless preyed on small children living in the street, he sodomized, disemboweled and drank their blood. It was a gruesome case.

· You're already dead...
10,293 Posts
verboten999:
yeah i agree with you; sadly there are some truly-evil people in this world, and they deserve the death penalty.

· Registered
13,839 Posts
I think Laos -ians(?) should just deport her away, back to GB... Infact I think they should've done that right away as now they're going to get their a** kicked by international communities EVEN if they won't execute her as it really sounds like she got raped in the jail.

· Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
I'm curious if some of the harsh drug laws internationally for many nations changed when USA began its whole 'War on Drugs' back in the early nineties. If there is that sort of change after the early nineties it could be linked to american political influence/pressure, economic/trade pressure and money.

Of course nations would have massive reasons of their own to implement harsh drug laws. Many of these drugs utterly permanently destroy peoples lives. Lots of the victims are ignorant vulnerable youth and such. I agree that the dealers of the really bad contraband should have harsh sentences to deter the industry, but i don't see why users who are already ruining their lives need to receive such harsh sentences ontop of how much they are already suffering. Just my take on it.

America has by far the largest prison population per capita, and im pretty sure the largest prison population by number as well. Much of that largely has to do with their harsh laws on drug abusers.

· You're already dead...
10,293 Posts
pcxl:
yeah that's true, america is too hard on drug users; and it's jails are getting full of druggies instead of real criminals.

but you also have to think like, in some countries if you do a crime they'll cut off your arm or something so you don't do it again.
whereas America would never do that, and would put you in jail instead.
so different punishments like that might also attribute to why america has alot of people in jail VS other countries.

furthermore, a better police force than most countries, is probably a big reason america has alot of people in jail.

· Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
pcxl:
yeah that's true, america is too hard on drug users; and it's jails are getting full of druggies instead of real criminals.

but you also have to think like, in some countries if you do a crime they'll cut off your arm or something so you don't do it again.
whereas America would never do that, and would put you in jail instead.
so different punishments like that might also attribute to why america has alot of people in jail VS other countries.

furthermore, a better police force than most countries, is probably a big reason america has alot of people in jail.
Good points, though I meant also in comparison to other industrialized nations comprising the G8 & G10, america has a much larger prison population per capita and it largely has to do with their drug policies.

I don't know if america has a better police force then in germany or england.... Canada should be pretty much on par with usa, although they at times do not have the major resources you see in the police forces in massive major urban centers like New York...

· Registered
4,380 Posts
end of the day if one does drugs, 90% of the time that person is reasonable for them self that path was taken. for example, smoking; ive never understood why people do it in the 1st place, who the **** is dumb enough to think that smoking is cool??

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Laos forgets that we could overrun their ***** asses if we chose too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.