Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
openminded???? did you see how they hid those oh so beautiful machines in the back and showed off the 360 as if IT were running the demos...shame...shame on them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,506 Posts
Interesting.

Obviously this proves that the 360 is very similar to the G5. That might also explain the real reason why they bought the virtual pc emulator, so that they could get backward compatibility for the x86 based xbox.

One other point, I seriously doupt M$ would run anything but windows in the console. Given that fact, those macs must be running a powerpc version of windows....

Makes you think what else they might be planning.
 

·
Canadian Spaceman
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
Wow. Go microsoft :p
 

·
Ocean Soul
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
Betamax said:
Interesting.
One other point, I seriously doupt M$ would run anything but windows in the console. Given that fact, those macs must be running a powerpc version of windows....

Makes you think what else they might be planning.
Wow, I never thought of that, that's crazy if you are saying what I think you are saying...kinda scary....very scary...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,303 Posts
Not really so crazy. I'd love for home computers to be less architecture centric. The x86 architecture is dated and holding back PC performance, regardless of the efforts of AMD and Intel to hide this. The only company that can drag us out of this rut of legacy x86 that we are stuck in is MS, but that is another discussion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Betamax said:
Interesting.

Obviously this proves that the 360 is very similar to the G5. That might also explain the real reason why they bought the virtual pc emulator, so that they could get backward compatibility for the x86 based xbox.

One other point, I seriously doupt M$ would run anything but windows in the console. Given that fact, those macs must be running a powerpc version of windows....

Makes you think what else they might be planning.
That would be funny if they released the Windows on the G5. But i figure Apple if they are still using IBM cpu's for the next system they might use the Cell Processor for the next probably system the G6.
 

·
I'm in despair!
Joined
·
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Betamax said:
Obviously this proves that the 360 is very similar to the G5. That might also explain the real reason why they bought the virtual pc emulator, so that they could get backward compatibility for the x86 based xbox.
Indeed. There were some rumors that developers were using G5's for development while waiting for the console to be finished. I guess they weren't just rumors. ;)

Betamax said:
One other point, I seriously doupt M$ would run anything but windows in the console. Given that fact, those macs must be running a powerpc version of windows....
Very likely, considering there used to be a PPC version of Windows NT.

[]s Badaro
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,303 Posts
Really depends on the Cell's performance. While it's very powerful in a vector situation, in general purpose computing it's no better than any other PowerPC chip. If it really is as good as Sony are touting, It wouldn't surprise me to see apple take it up, but then again, remember the Emotion Engine hype?
 

·
Experenced But New User
Joined
·
866 Posts
Aided Onslaught said:
I heard that IBM is going to start using the Cell in computers and even heh get this Cell phones...
I also heard that, but in the cell phones the cell processor whould not have as many vector proccessing units, as it would have no need for 8 of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,506 Posts
INCA said:
That would be funny if they released the Windows on the G5. But i figure Apple if they are still using IBM cpu's for the next system they might use the Cell Processor for the next probably system the G6.
That would have been my asssumption as well, although I would suspect that lBM will beef up the SPE any potential desktop variant of the cell. As for alternative chips I can't really see Apple choosing anything else. Desktop wise, it's only a two horse race.

Or course, if M$ did release a ppc windows, you might see the rumours about x86 version of OSX becoming true :p.

Viper_Viper said:
I also heard that, but in the cell phones the cell processor whould not have as many vector proccessing units, as it would have no need for 8 of them.
Well the cell has been designed with parallel scalability in mind. This is one of the genius ideas behind the concept. Eg// if you plugged your ps3 into a cell capable HDTV, in theory the ps3 would be able to make use of the cell components in the TV in order to improve the graphics resolution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Maybe the Cell is just Hype, but i dont think IBM itself wouldnt spend tons of money for processor that is less than what it main line can do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,303 Posts
What, like the x86 architecture?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Betamax said:
Well the cell has been designed with parallel scalability in mind. This is one of the genius ideas behind the concept. Eg// if you plugged your ps3 into a cell capable HDTV, in theory the ps3 would be able to make use of the cell components in the TV in order to improve the graphics resolution.
Oh yeah! I've almost forgotten about that. What's the latest update on that? Such functionality would be both very practical as well as very cool.
 

·
band
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
yes, do tell. i would like to have network of Cell powered components :) like...mebe hook my tv up with my ps3 and my ricecooker....mebe to my cell phone...and then if possible, have it all hooked up to the net and connect to other cell clusters and use their power as well to power games (obviously only if their power isnt being used).
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top