Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Honda Civic
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I want to convert a computer power supple (if possible) from 120ac-12dc to 12dc - 12dc, I want to integrate (sp) a desktop computer into a car... anyway I was wondering if anyone could help me?? thanx

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Nah, properly configured, it would be fine.

You will need:

(1) A voltage regulator @ 12v

(2) Another voltage regulator @ 5v tied to the 12v regulator (or any other valid solution to provide 5v from the 12v line).

(3) (possibly) a large capacitor to handle intermittent (and short) power drains

· Registered
212 Posts
plenty of people have done this in the past :) i highly suggest a seperate high end battery, highend regulator also. there are plenty of guides about showing you how its done, if i remem i will look some of them out, best of luck, and remember to post pictures through the stages :D

· Registered
184 Posts

· Honda Civic
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx everyone, wow I didn't know that this was so common. I would be interested in seeing other ppl's projects. I want to use a 145w power supply with a pII mother board with onboard everthing... as far as the interfaces I still haven't got that completely figured out... I think i want to get a 7.5 or larger lcd monitor, and if I win the lotter a touch screen monitor :D. my is in his 2nd year of college and he is going to be an electircal engineer, but he is just getting to copassitors. if any one has any suggestoins that would be great! and thanx again

ps - I'll be sure to post pics if and when i finish.

· Registered
212 Posts

· Honda Civic
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you everyone, and wow Techie your post really set me in the right directoin, I didn't realize it was so common, mine isn't going to as small as the ones they suggest to use but thats cuz I don't have a ton of money to work with. thanx again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.