Foundry/Foundation
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pc setup, 17 years ago (2000):

computer.jpg

computer2.jpg

fullmess.jpg

Transparent blue/cyan was in!
Pictures taken with what was my very first webcam (also transparent blue); it was also able to run on batteries so it doubled as a poor digital camera, as you can see.

·
Administrator
15,453 Posts
I never took photos of old setups and most of my old stuff is back in original boxes in my closet or I sold them, oldest thing I have out is my pc that I built in 2012.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Epson printer??

and a Scanner. :D

Samor I'm clicking the pics to zoom them but they don't zoom. :lol:

--
My first PC was an AMD Duron don't remember the ram but I had a 80gb HDD and a big monitor. Intel was too expensive for my parents.

Don't think I have pics of that build.

But this is my first laptop.
Asus G50VT

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Don't brag, you guys surely had your first pc before me.

I think I had my own pc on 1,999-2,000

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Epson printer??

and a Scanner. :D
Apollo printer (cheap HP clone).
Nowadays I have a scanner integrated with the printer which is much faster but I doubt it's actually better than the one from back then.

Samor I'm clicking the pics to zoom them but they don't zoom. :lol:
Turn of the century webcam tech was that awesome.
I didn't have a digital camera that could make pictures beyond 640x480 until 2007 :p

My first PC was an AMD Duron don't remember the ram but I had a 80gb HDD and a big monitor. Intel was too expensive for my parents.

Don't think I have pics of that build.

But this is my first laptop.
Asus G50VT

It also has blue! But it is not transparent :(

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
my first pc was an intel 486 dx 50 mhz, 32MB of ram, and a 500MB hdd.
Not counting MSX, mine was a Pentium 75... well, that's the short version of the story anyway.

-

(very) long version:

Way back in 1996 my dad bought a Pentium 75. It was a Siemens Nixdorf model (German). Because it was "for serious things", dad decided it didn't need a cd-rom or soundcard.
To prevent us from messing around with it, dad also managed to get my brother and me some old 286's (it didn't work, we messed around with the Pentium anyway).
We only ever had an MSX so I knew DOS from MSX-DOS, but that was it. Windows 95 was a curious thing... on the Pentium I kept searching 'till I finally found a dos prompt so I had a starting point from which I could do things. The 286 was readily equipped with DOS so I was much more at home there.
Enter a year of catching up with the wondrous world of the PC.
No internet, no cd's... so what do you do? Visit your uncle who had a pc for years with a stack of empty floppies, bug your friends at school and buy shareware floppydisks (and magazines with disks) at the local bookstore. Some magazines only had cd's :( but there were still a lot of people that just had floppy drives like us.
That way I learned about things like pkzip, pv.exe (a picture viewer) and a quick recap of pc gaming from the 80's 'till 199x ...new games didn't run well on that 286, although I found an EMS.SYS driver that worked which allowed it to run some games that were supposedly for 386's and up. I eventually also got Windows 3.1 from a friend, it worked on the 286. Neat!
My brother had the other 286, it was rather similar but there were 2 key differences: his hard drive was twice as large (40MB! Mine was only 20)... but my video card could do Super VGA where his only did regular VGA. I guess I had the edge.
Some of the shareware disks ran games that obviously did not work on a 286, so I sneakily installed the shareware version of Screamer on my dad's pc. It was glorious, playing the same racing track over and over in stunning 320x200 3D software graphics, without sound (but I loved it).
By then dad realized that his cool Pentium was a bit crippled without cd-rom and sound so it was made "multi-media ready". It was equipped with a 4 speed CD reader and a "Vibra 16" soundcard, which was some sort of officially licensed German SB16 clone with the original software from Creative and all.
Games from Epic (Megagames) always detected it as a clone, but it worked well enough anyway.
Windows 95 insisted on setting the blaster settings to A220 I10 D3 H7 which was incredibly stupid and made all DOS games crash. Eventually I learned how to override it.
I learned understanding Windows 95 the experimental way... by repeatedly messing dad's computer up, so he had to take it back to work (he bought it via his work) to have everything reinstalled/fixed up.
After the xth time this happened, dad took me with him to work and there they unleashed my terrible dormant powers by learning me how to reinstall Windows.
...but it still wasn't my pc. Growing dissatisfied with the limitations of the 286, I scraped together some money and bought a crappy 386SX at a fair. It came preinstalled with a bootsector virus, which I was totally unaware of at the time. Sure, as soon as I got home I wiped the thing with a bootdisk, but the pesky virus had already copied itself to the disk, and thus as I installed everything every floppydisk I inserted got the virus (I don't think it did anything other than copying itself, but it was still annoying) and I was blissfully unaware. Fortunately the Pentium was immune to this particular virus. Eventually I discovered the virus and wiped it everywhere (or so I thought). It was a valuable lesson about the world of computer viruses.

Then, it was just a year after the P75 was bought, my dad was able to buy another pc at a heavy discount; it was a Pentium 200 (drooool).
So, dad approached me and asked who of us had the most powerful pc. I proudly boasted about my 386SX but then dad said "well, since you are obviously doing more with computers than your brother... how about giving him the 386, and you get the pentium?"
Forget being proud about that 386! Of course! I get the Pentium, yeah!
My brother got the 386 which I reinstalled for him (with disks I thought were all clean from the virus). He lived in a student room elsewhere at the time and went to uni. Promptly the computers at the uni got infected with a virus and my brother barely got away with it. Sorry about that! ^^;

Meanwhile I upgraded the ram in the P75 to 16MB (it only had 8, meaning it often didn't have enough memory to load additional assets in games). I bought quite a few cd-roms, copied just as much games (still with floppies, no cd burners yet) and would reinstall every week as the harddrive was only 540MB so I could make room for new games I wanted to try. I was perfectly happy with the P75 and didn't really look at dad's powerful P200. I also bought lots of shareware cd's and multi-media cd-roms as Internet was still a futuristic thing and we never had a modem at the time either, so no access to BBS'es or whatever. Via the discs I discovered lots of games, software and other things like MOD music and Trackers, short videos and pictures of pretty girls cars.

Games generally ran in 320x200 or 320x240. The Tseng Labs videocard wasn't strong enough to do better. Unfortunately Microsoft's Tseng driver didn't support 320x240 in Win95, so I had problems running games in it because they were forced at 640x480, which was the equivalent of running slideshows.... until I discovered the differences with Tseng's own driver which supported 320x240 just fine. I could finally enjoy my Sega PC games "properly".
Properly being framerates around 20 fps (possibly lower), which I found perfectly acceptable at the time.

Then the next year, my dad got a pc from work to use (a P166MMX, even more powerful than the P200) and my brother got the P200 (he deserved it after all the crap he went through with that 386, aside from the virus it was just a piss-poor machine overall) so he could get work done proper. Dad sure bought a lot of computers he barely used, but we didn't mind....

Later, my brother moved back into the parents house so now I had the weakest pc!... On top of that, dad's P166MMX was replaced with a Toshiba Satellite Pro 490CDT laptop (it had a Pentium II 233 processor), which was like a futuristic spacestation in comparison. It was also super expensive, apparently, but he got it from work, so it cost him nothing.
No matter, I put in a 3DFX card in my Pentium! Checkmate! ...well, something like that. When not limited by the CPU, it really shined, but that meant that in games like F1 Racing Simulation I was limited to time trial mode (only one car on screen), but it did look good at 640x480 where I could never go beyond 320x240 before. At some point I also got an Iomega ZIP drive (who remembers them?) as those were a lot cheaper than CD burners at the time.

That's where this story ends; by that time it had become 1999 and the machine had really aged. I landed my first job and promptly bought a new pc - the one you see in the pictures above.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Good story.

In one part you said 16gb, but I figured you meant 16MB. :p

Before I had a pc I used to go to my friend's house and discovered emulators with his Dell Pentium 4? desktop. The ones with the black cases.

First GPU I actually bought and owned was a Geforce 5200. It was good for the time but I think my board's AGP slot wasn't good enough, what a bummer.

dedicated GPU timeline.
Geforce 5200
Geforce 6800 vanilla.
Geforce 9800gs on Asus Laptop.
Geforce 6600 TI.
Geforce 970.

I've bought a couple of AMD cards for friends that wanted something cheaper than what Nvidia was currently selling.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good story.

In one part you said 16gb, but I figured you meant 16MB. :p
You are right, corrected.

Before I had a pc I used to go to my friend's house and discovered emulators with his Dell Pentium 4? desktop. The ones with the black cases.

First GPU I actually bought and owned was a Geforce 5200. It was good for the time but I think my board's AGP slot wasn't good enough, what a bummer.

dedicated GPU timeline.
Geforce 5200
Geforce 6800 vanilla.
Geforce 9800gs on Asus Laptop.
Geforce 6600 TI.
Geforce 970.

I've bought a couple of AMD cards for friends that wanted something cheaper than what Nvidia was currently selling.
My first discovery of emulators was at a friend's place as well... he was running Gameboy games in VGB-DOS.
The second discovery was when my brother found "recompiled" MSX games on the internet at the uni (I think they consisted of the rom + an emulator compiled into one EXE file).
The third time was when we first had internet at home (which was very short-lived because my brother and I racked up a giganormous phone bill) and that was fmsx-dos and a huge MSX rom archive.
After that I became hooked on emulation like so many of us. It's nice to see fMSX still living on today and I bought the Android version (fms (the author) posts the releases here himself on NGEmu).

-

3D accelerated video card timeline:
Voodoo1
--new pc--
Voodoo2
Voodoo2 SLI
Geforce 2 MX
Radeon 8500 (but it was bottlenecked by my hardware and sold off)
Geforce 4 MX (pretty useless upgrade over a Geforce 2 MX)
--new pc--
Geforce 4 TI 4800SE (good card, wrong timing; shortly after dx9 became the norm, seriously crippling its performance in many new games)
--new pc--
Geforce 8800GTX (the card infamously got a recall, mine died too but I didn't know about the recall)
Geforce GTX260
--new pc--
Geforce GTX780 SLI (2014)

And that's also current; again great timing with the better and cheaper 960 appearing shortly after, the 780 just missing out on VR support and 4k screens suddenly becoming cheap... but the previous pc had died so it's not like I could've planned a better time.
Besides, 2 780's are good at running stuff at 1440p (my monitor resolution) but go beyond that and performance starts to take a serious hit... so it's not all bad; it balances out pretty well.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
That Geforce 8800GTX was a beast. What a jump you made from the Geforce 4.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It definetely was....
@ruantec: it was only 7 years later than the pictures in the Op, but now I could run Crysis!
A shame it died early, but the GTX 260 was a worthy replacement.

I did a few intermediate upgrades (the gtx260, an SB Xi-Fi, a blu-ray player and eventually an SSD). In 2014 the capacitors on the mobo fried but it served me well for 7 years, the longest I've ever had a pc without replacing it.

Around the time I had the "Geforce 4 pc" I also had a laptop. It wasn't the best, but it served me well while I went back to fulltime studying, and then broke down after graduating. Good timing!

(and good old Dreamcast, he's seen all those pc's and still lives)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One day a black screen and that was it. I borrowed someone's old card to verify if the geforce was the culprit. It was, and I bought the slightly faster GTX 260 as a replacement.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
It definetely was....
@ruantec: it was only 7 years later than the pictures in the Op, but now I could run Crysis!
A shame it died early, but the GTX 260 was a worthy replacement.

I did a few intermediate upgrades (the gtx260, an SB Xi-Fi, a blu-ray player and eventually an SSD). In 2014 the capacitors on the mobo fried but it served me well for 7 years, the longest I've ever had a pc without replacing it.

Around the time I had the "Geforce 4 pc" I also had a laptop. It wasn't the best, but it served me well while I went back to fulltime studying, and then broke down after graduating. Good timing!

(and good old Dreamcast, he's seen all those pc's and still lives)
I have never been a "PC gamer" myself and in the past i used my PC mostly for coding and emulation at time. Because of that my PCs were never that powerful because as long as my PC could run Photoshop and Visual Studio I was more than happy. I also had a GTX 260 and it was a really great GPU but it got old quite quick. The last "Old" hardware i kept with me for over 12 years was my Apple G3-Like PC case that I loved a lot.

After building my house and moving here I decided to get rid of old stuff and with pain in my heart I brought that case to the recycling center near me to finally say good bye.

Awesome thread btw....

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Some more crappy webcam pictures...

The Pentium 75 in all its glory (although the picture is from when it was already the secondary machine). Also, the wallpaper was in terrible shape because I had removed posters everywhere... what a mess.

server.jpg

The machine itself though.... it didn't look too bad, did it?

-

mgsfull.jpg

Wow, old tv! And it's the box from the pc version of MGS (I still have it). I was apparently running some webcam server software there.

-

weapons.jpg

I've gone through a LOT of different gamepads over the years, way too many....
from top to bottom:
- Guillemot gamepad. Of those pictured it was the best one. Thrustmaster had the same model (same company).
- Cheap gamepad with lots of turbo switches and stuff, it had too sharp edges and cut into my fingers. Not good.
- Gravis Gamepad Pro, a popular PS1 pad clone at the time... the d-pad wasn't ideal, though
- A pad from the brand Trust, the worst of the bunch

-

wires.jpg

Too many wires... some things never change.

-

werkplek.jpg

That's where I worked in 2003... nice messy desk.

Fun fact: it's only one street away from where I currently live (I moved last year), but the company is no longer there; the sign still is, for some reason, but AFAIK the company closed down over 10 years ago.

Fun fact #2: All the company pc's where roughly the same base hardware, and all employees (including me) bought similar pc's through them well... they all ran on similar AOpen hardware. It was probably a bad production run as most of them died within two years; we would play the "Last Post" at work when that happened, and that turned out to be nearly every month at some point. There was only one that survived... mine; it even survived me abusing a normal 220 volt psu by using 2 cd drives, 2 hdds, 2 voodoo cards and a GeForce 2MX at once (it did crash but it didn't die).

Bonus fun fact #3: A lowly Geforce 2MX already outperformed a Voodoo2 SLI configuration.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Enter... 2004! I went back to studying fulltime; well, fulltime... you get a lot of free time, especially after getting used to a regular job... so I found lots of time for my hobbies as well; but anyway, just before that I went through a major hardware refresh... also, my brother started living on his own and I inherited his roomier room (and got new wallpaper).

-

modpad.JPG

It's the Guillemot gamepad again! Except now it's from Thrustmaster... also, I replaced parts from one pad with the other. Told you I went through wayyyy too many gamepads.

-

Picture 2_1.jpg

The "Geforce 4 pc".. the small white thing on top of the case is some early form of online banking that dealt with com ports.
Also, no more transparent blue :(

-

msx1_1.jpg

This picture is particularly telling (and blurry)... I wasn't just into emulation anymore, it was full retrogaming galore. I had re-bought an MSX (a heavily souped-up model) with several peripherals and you can see a Commodore 64C, which I found on a fair (it was cheap and in a remarkably good shape, but sadly died a year later)

-

image11.jpg

I also got this laptop.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
You've had a rich history with tech.

I didn't start that early.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts